+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: James Sommerin in Penarth

Banned

James Sommerin in Penarth

Took the wife to Wales' only Michelin starred restaurant yesterday , Restaurant James Sommerin on Penarth Esplanade, with my "given up fags money".
    Loved it , Fri and sat is the 6 or 9 course menu only, the 6 courses was a whopping £70 per person , £30-40 for a bottle of wine.
    For a one off I recommended it , the wife loved it, allow 4 hours for 6 courses.
    The food was stunning. Nice Beer too.

Re: James Sommerin in Penarth

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Took the wife to Wales' only Michelin starred restaurant yesterday , Restaurant James Sommerin on Penarth Esplanade, with my "given up fags money".
    Loved it , Fri and sat is the 6 or 9 course menu only, the 6 courses was a whopping £70 per person , £30-40 for a bottle of wine.
    For a one off I recommended it , the wife loved it, allow 4 hours for 6 courses.
    The food was stunning. Nice Beer too.
    The Walnut Tree, Abergavenny. ...
    Sosban and The Old Butchers, Anglesey. ...
    Tyddyn Llan in Llandrillo, Denbighshire. ...
    Ynyshir in Machynlleth, Powys.
    The Whitebrook in Monmouth. ...
    The Checkers in Montgomery, Powys.
    James Sommerin in Penarth.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-o...welsh-11971816

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    The Walnut Tree, Abergavenny. ...
    Sosban and The Old Butchers, Anglesey. ...
    Tyddyn Llan in Llandrillo, Denbighshire. ...
    Ynyshir in Machynlleth, Powys.
    The Whitebrook in Monmouth. ...
    The Checkers in Montgomery, Powys.
    James Sommerin in Penarth.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-o...welsh-11971816
    Sorry, I meant wales' capital , those places I'd never go to. Too far

Glad you enjoyed it, since making a few bob , I have tried a few Michelin starred restaurants, not once have I been hit with the wow factor. Including spending over a grand for three of us in Hestons Fat Duck . My background is in the food industry but my palate is simple grilled food . Give me a BBQ and salad any day.

Load of old tosh

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it, since making a few bob , I have tried a few Michelin starred restaurants, not once have I been hit with the wow factor. Including spending over a grand for three of us in Hestons Fat Duck . My background is in the food industry but my palate is simple grilled food . Give me a BBQ and salad any day.
    There's not many actual decent BBQ places around here mind. Talking of BBQ food, has anyone tried that Jamaican place opposite the old ninian?

Looks lovely but as it's always empty I've always given it a swerve

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Siffredi View Post
    No probs - £1,000 for two courses? Starter is a deconstructed Pot Noodle, followed by some BBQ chicken nuggets from Iceland with a half a bag of iceberg lettuce, served on a piece of slate that fell off my roof thanks to Doris.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Sorry, I meant wales' capital , those places I'd never go to. Too far
    Penarth is our capital? Missed that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Load of old tosh
    And little natalie.

I've had an excellent 7-course tasting menu meal there. Didn't bother with the wine as I'm not that keen so just had other drinks as I needed them. I recommend this to anyone who wants a culinary experience and isn't that concerned about the cost. If you are anxious about the money I wouldn't bother as there is some excellent food around for much cheaper cost, just not quite as refined.

I think some people can enjoy and appreciate different tastes and skill in cooking and others really just see eating as an exercise in fuel intake with hopefully a bit of decent taste. Nothing wrong with either but obviously the latter group are unlikely to get much out of such an experience.

To be honest it took me until my late 40's before I could really move on from needing quantity in my food to needing less calories and therefore looking for more interest in the food I eat. I have to say it's really nice to have this additional interest in my life now.

Went with wife for her 40th a few weeks ago and thought it was great. Loads of food, she had a glass of paired wine with each course too, which was plenty. Worth it for a treat, couldn't finish the soufflé last course.....met James after too, very friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    And little natalie.

Nothing wrong with the food-just thought the service was disappointing when we went there and the wine ridiculously priced.Been to better.

I took the wife there week before the Michelin star was announced.
    Went for lunch which was pretty reasonable price despite the Mrs choice of drinks.

Not sure if they've bumped the price up since but it was really good, would definitely go again.

Any idea what day they do the all you can eat buffet?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Any idea what day they do the all you can eat buffet?
    Well Tuesday is quiz night and they have karaoke on the weekend so I'm guessing Wednesday maybe?

Feedback

For a change we did the 14 course eat at the chefs table once. Clearly you shouldn't eat for a week beforehand...way too much.

I'd also suggest the recommended wine glass with each course if the wallet allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    And little natalie.