+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Shop Cardiff Newport Road - what a weird / dodgy setup

Re: Car Shop Cardiff Newport Road - what a weird / dodgy setup

I walked into a main dealer and the salesman came over to chat. Told him I was going to change my car in a few weeks and was just looking to see what was around. He asked for my details, but I told him I'd come back to see him when I was ready. I must have been on their data base because he clocked my reg and then rang me 4 times in the next week. The first 3 times I told him again that I wasn't ready to change yet, on the fourth time, I told him that I wouldn't go back to him if he was the last garage in Cardiff, and also told him if he rang me again, I'd drive in and park my car on his head. There are plenty of garages in South Wales without having to put up with any crap.

I helped my Dad buy a second hand car recently and after looking everywhere for a petrol car we settled on a 16 plate Seat Leon 1.4 SE Estate from Motorpoint in Newport in spite of my initial concerns about such places. Basically they are just a pile it high and sell it cheap place dealing in cars with lots of manufacturers warranty on them. He got the car with about 8,000 miles on it and still 29 months Seat warranty for £11,000. Loads of extras including Sat Nav, etc. His old car was worth about £1.5k and they took that in PX.

If you're in the market for a recent car I honestly think you'll struggle to find a better deal based on my experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    I helped my Dad buy a second hand car recently and after looking everywhere for a petrol car we settled on a 16 plate Seat Leon 1.4 SE Estate from Motorpoint in Newport in spite of my initial concerns about such places. Basically they are just a pile it high and sell it cheap place dealing in cars with lots of manufacturers warranty on them. He got the car with about 8,000 miles on it and still 29 months Seat warranty for £11,000. Loads of extras including Sat Nav, etc. His old car was worth about £1.5k and they took that in PX.

If you're in the market for a recent car I honestly think you'll struggle to find a better deal based on my experience with them.
    I've bought my last 4 cars from them no problems with any of them all low mileage as you say and cheap

Went there a few years ago when I was after a new car. All they wanted to know was how much money I had to spend, no interest in what I wanted to buy. Safe to say they didn't see any of my money.

Bought my car Seat Alhambra from Carbost in Lympsham near Brean turn off on M5.
    They are one of the biggest car sales firms in the West with used cars showrooms all over Bristol and Weston super mare etc.
    Travelled over from Cardiff to look at my Alhambra and would highly recommend this company

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    In the market soon for a new used car - so drove into The Car Shop on Newport road www.carshop.co.uk , what a strange setup.

I am not allowed to enter the place until they have taken my details - name, contact details etc - I told them no thanks.

Then the woman says she has been assigned to me to show me round the cars - even though they are locked. We are talking used cars here not Rolls Royce.

I walked out after a 5 minutes discussion and was told this is the way they operate - and they have to take my details before I am allowed in. So went to the Honda garage round the corner instead - where strangely enough - the bloke didnt want to take any of my details before I was allowed in.

Anyone else ever had this at other car sales places - as this car shop place gave the distinct impression they wanted to A. Get all my details above anything else B. Seemed to have to read out a set script on arrival.
    I've had two cars from there with similar issues, I test drove a car there about 6 months ago, the salesman left a recording pen in the car whislt i was talking it over with the wife, I never bought the car but had a little fun with what was said in the car , I ended up buying a car from Evans Halshaw!!.

bought a mondeo from motor point in Newport last year.
    would definitely go back to them

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I've had two cars from there with similar issues, I test drove a car there about 6 months ago, the salesman left a recording pen in the car whislt i was talking it over with the wife, I never bought the car but had a little fun with what was said in the car , I ended up buying a car from Evans Halshaw!!.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytY9_xy7qgY That's well sneaky.

I used Motorpoint in Newport last year. By far the most pleasant experience I've ever had when buying a car.

I went to the Car Shop on Penarth Road with my parents when they were buying their previous cars. Horrible experience, the strangest business model I've ever seen, and won't be going there ever again.

Most people looking for a used car want to wander around a lot and see what stands out for them. Car Shop were extremely reluctant to even let us in the building to have a browse unless we sat down at one of their PCs to tell them what we were looking for, our budget etc (we had no idea and were buying 2 cars at once; the budget on one relying on the amount spent on the other).

In the end we made it past their spotty teen of a rep (who clearly had no experience with cars) after we told him we wanted to see some of the cars or we'd just leave and go elsewhere (to one of the many many places in Grangetown).

The rep then followed us around the place, staying 50 feet behind but spying us between cars and obviously hoping to hook us back towards his PC. We didn't like anything we saw, so tried to leave.

The rep didn't want us to leave, despite us telling him we didn't like anything we'd seen (apparently they can sell us any car they have in their lots anywhere in the UK, but I'd rather not buy a car I've never seen in person).

We ended up going to Gary Watson on Barry's Broad St (who's been excellent) for a Jaguar, and Evans Halshaw for a Nissan Juke.

I just give Jimmy the Jock a call and he lets me have one of his.

Bought my last car from the Car Shop in Penarth Road, I think they are part od a wider big dealership in used blue chip company cars , the price was excellent, helpful staff, they even held the car , in store to help me out for two months , whilst I moved on my old car.

Sorry your experience wasn't great I can only report positvely on my experiences , car still running well some 6 years past now.

In the market soon for a new used car - so drove into The Car Shop on Newport road www.carshop.co.uk , what a strange setup.

I am not allowed to enter the place until they have taken my details - name, contact details etc - I told them no thanks.

Then the woman says she has been assigned to me to show me round the cars - even though they are locked. We are talking used cars here not Rolls Royce.

I walked out after a 5 minutes discussion and was told this is the way they operate - and they have to take my details before I am allowed in. So went to the Honda garage round the corner instead - where strangely enough - the bloke didnt want to take any of my details before I was allowed in.

Anyone else ever had this at other car sales places - as this car shop place gave the distinct impression they wanted to A. Get all my details above anything else B. Seemed to have to read out a set script on arrival.
    Most major companies ask everyone me whatever your buying ,enquiring about for marketing purposes.

I had an excellent deal with them six years ago ,only 38k on the clock , paid £7k for it .

Will definitely return to view the cars , if mine evers packs up.

They have a lot of ex blue chip company cars, that have full service historis, which is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    I've bought my last 4 cars from them no problems with any of them all low mileage as you say and cheap

F uck me !

I am 65 and I've only had 4 cars in the last 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    F uck me !

I am 65 and I've only had 4 cars in the last 40 years.
    Tut .. they are called coaches.

i bought my new lexus from lexus. never had a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    I went to the Car Shop on Penarth Road with my parents when they were buying their previous cars. Horrible experience, the strangest business model I've ever seen, and won't be going there ever again.

Most people looking for a used car want to wander around a lot and see what stands out for them. Car Shop were extremely reluctant to even let us in the building to have a browse unless we sat down at one of their PCs to tell them what we were looking for, our budget etc (we had no idea and were buying 2 cars at once; the budget on one relying on the amount spent on the other).

In the end we made it past their spotty teen of a rep (who clearly had no experience with cars) after we told him we wanted to see some of the cars or we'd just leave and go elsewhere (to one of the many many places in Grangetown).

The rep then followed us around the place, staying 50 feet behind but spying us between cars and obviously hoping to hook us back towards his PC. We didn't like anything we saw, so tried to leave.

The rep didn't want us to leave, despite us telling him we didn't like anything we'd seen (apparently they can sell us any car they have in their lots anywhere in the UK, but I'd rather not buy a car I've never seen in person).

We ended up going to Gary Watson on Barry's Broad St (who's been excellent) for a Jaguar, and Evans Halshaw for a Nissan Juke.
    I've never bought from a dealer before, I always buy privately. But I thought I'd give a few dealers a try. Unfortunately this was the first place I tried. As soon as I walk through the door there is a young, greasy Michael Portillo lookalike on a sort of lectern, a bit like when you go into a fancy restaurant. I told the guy exactly what sort of car I was after and the maximum I had to spend. I may as well have been talking gibberish. After about half an hour fannying about on his computer, he was walking me round to look at cars I had no interest in that were £3,000 more than I could afford. I kept telling him I wanted an estate car but he wasn't having any of it. All he would show me was people carriers and Chelsea tractors. Suffice to say they didn't get a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    I guess FordThorne didn't have any Focus Ghia's left then?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Waiting list was too long I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    Maybe FordThorne don't encourage very large payments in used cash off a bloke that has an overwhelming herbal aura.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    Ha ha you peasant.

I bought my new jet from Lear. Never had a problem with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Ha ha you peasant.

Pah! You bought it yourself?????

Haven't you got a butler for that sort of thing like the rest of us?

Ha ha you peasant.

Is that Lear the Jock?

Ha ha you peasant.

no you did not pal. there is a waiting list and i am ****ing next.

Motorpoint are the worst. They tried to charge me £300 to bring a car down from Rochdale just so I could look at it.