+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merge in turn? No way pal!

Re: Merge in turn? No way pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    I wonder if people driving right down the front and then merging would do it if there was a pit of lava there 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    If we were all in the free Lane then that would be full and the full Lane would then be empty
    I fully accept it may help the situation but 99% of the time it the dicks of society that fly up the free lane.

And no, this logic that you talk of doesn't come into their mind.

Why don't they get in line and let others have a bash and this fantastic logic?.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    I fully accept it may help the situation but 99% of the time it the dicks of society that fly up the free lane.

Why don't they get in line and let others have a bash and this fantastic logic?.
    I've been dutifully queuing for most of my 40 years driving but I fully understand that this is because it feels like a massive societal demand not because it is the right or sensible thing to do. Whether the people driving down the right hand lane are self-important entitled pricks or just doing the right thing logically doesn't really matter, it just isn't worth getting upset about. You have the same option as them but choose not to take it as you don't want the hassle of hoping somebody will let you in when you want to merge. Your choice.

I was trying to think of where this is best illustrated and for me it's the road which is the continuation of Richmond Road going over Newport Road towards the Docks. Everyone queues in the left hand lane there to eventually get onto the link road around East Canal Wharf. This backs up beyond the Newport Road junction yet the right hand lane is virtually empty most of the time despite this being the logical lane for this journey as the left hand lane also feeds the splott bridge road. It's madness I tell you...

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

I don't understand why anyone would get worked up over it though, grrrr that dick is going to get to his destination 5 minutes faster than me.

People need to relax if these sort of things get them worked up.

Use both lanes!

I have this every evening on my way home from work.
    Everyone queues in the left lane which backs up to the roundabout and stops traffic in 3 different directions.
    I go straight in the right lane and go straight to the end every time. You get some idiots who seem to think that is cheating somehow, beeping their horns or gesticulating, when they are the ones in the wrong.
    And then there are the ones who try to drive in both lanes to stop it from happening. Who made them in charge of which lane you can drive in?

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    So you're doing a public service by flying by the queue of people who have waited their turn in line and then expecting to cut in at the last minute? There I was thinking that type were the ones taking the piss where all along you were worried about clogging up junctions behind you and not saving time queueing yourself
    Quite, fully agree

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Quite, fully agree
    But it's the correct way to use filter lanes according to the Highway Code. If an equal number of people used both lanes and allowed merging in turn the traffic would flow a lot more smoothly and everyone would get where they we going quicker.

But because of some weird British notion about queue jumping and people being petty about nothing the whole thing doesn't work because people sit in the one lane and get annoyed about people merging correctly.

There's a junction in bath where this was so bad they've had I put up a sign saying "use both lanes, THEN merge".
    Everyone was going in the left lane only and it was causing gridlock at a roundabout just behind.
    All these drivers getting annoyed at the people in the right lane for "cheating" when the entire time they were the ones ****ing things up for everyone.

Barry Dragon is right NQAT.

From the Wikipedia article:

Governments hold campaigns to promote the late merge method because irritation, aggression and feelings of insecurity easily occur while "zipping". Often drivers who change lanes too early do not like to see other drivers continue until the end of the drop-away lane, even though this late merging is encouraged by the authorities. In Belgium and Germany, a driver can be penalized for not using the late merge method.
    Some people in this thread with feelings of insecurity NQAT.

So what your saying is everybody should queue jump as that would stop the queue in the queueing lane

But wouldn't that make a queue in the queue jumping lane???

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post
    So what your saying is everybody should queue jump as that would stop the queue in the queueing lane

We are saying that everyone should join whichever lane is shorter, meaning both lanes will be roughly equal in length, and the queue stretches back half as far and doesn't clog up the previous junction or roundabout.

Quote Originally Posted by fugsyphil View Post

No one is queue jumping people are using both lanes and taking turns to merge, which is how it should work but doesn't due to what seems to most be insecure children who are worried about people "pushing in".

Sounds like picking a till at the supermarket

At least until a new one opens and causes a free for all

Saw this video and it reminded me of this thread.

Who is in the wrong in this video?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post

Barry Dragon

What a cow! He should have ran over her facking head.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    But that's how it's supposed to work.

Do people really that pathetic to get wound up about someone getting in front of them in a queue when driving, people need to chill out.
    I bet you're the sort of person to wave a note at a bartender even when it's not your turn

There's a few different circumstances here:

Where a road simply merges as part of the normal road system, yes both lanes should be used to the point of merging. That's what they are there for and often the reason why two lanes are used in the first place are to reduce traffic behind. There, Barry has correct logic. Merge in turn unless you're an arsehole.

Motorways with lanes blocked are often marked with red crosses above the lanes where lanes are closed ahead. This means the lane is closed and it's technically illegal to cane down these lanes to the front of the queue. If you do this, you're an arsehole.

Dual carriage ways with the signs signalling that a lane is closed ahead, in my opinion, should be treated similarly. As soon as you know the lane is closed ahead, you should make efforts to merge. Seeing people do so and caning past them to the front makes you a bit of an arsehole.

However - if any of you knowingly bomb down the inside lane coming up to the Bryn Glas tunnels at rush hour and cut in at the last - I wish you a long slow painful excruciating death. You are a **** of the highest order.

Annie Lennox

Quote Originally Posted by Since64 View Post
    You don't drive through Caerphilly between five and seven any week night by chance
    that was my very thought ,the lanes are there to use, but dont be foolish or fooled to use them

The bloke in the inside lane is in the wrong but she should have just waited if he was going to be an arsehole about it. Him saying he'd already let people in is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    The bloke in the inside lane is in the wrong but she should have just waited if he was going to be an arsehole about it. Him saying he'd already let people in is irrelevant.
    Ahh so your not happy with merge in turn now it's unlimited and priority to the outside (chancers) lane