+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merge in turn? No way pal!

Merge in turn? No way pal!

This gets on my tits more than anything on the road. Why are people such arseholes? You get two lanes going into one, and of course the idea is that each car leaves enough room for another to get in, whether from the the left or right. Some understand this but unfortunately many people are so aggressive and territorial that they will purposely drive as close as possible to the car in front so that no one can get in, as this may make them potentially a half a second later than they were.
    Are we all supposed to drive in just the one lane (usually the left) leaving the other one empty?

This is a particular pain in the arse on dual carriageways when one lane is signed as being closed in 2 miles, so everyone quickly gets over to the left, creating a queue twice as long as it needs to be, snarling up roundabouts and junctions behind.

Re: Merge in turn? No way pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    This gets on my tits more than anything on the road. Why are people such arseholes? You get two lanes going into one, and of course the idea is that each car leaves enough room for another to get in, whether from the the left or right. Some understand this but unfortunately many people are so aggressive and territorial that they will purposely drive as close as possible to the car in front so that no one can get in, as this may make them potentially a half a second later than they were.
    Are we all supposed to drive in just the one lane (usually the left) leaving the other one empty?

This is a particular pain in the arse on dual carriageways when one lane is signed as being closed in 2 miles, so everyone quickly gets over to the left, creating a queue twice as long as it needs to be, snarling up roundabouts and junctions behind.
    You don't drive through Caerphilly between five and seven any week night by chance

Add in the people that decide to try and block the outside lane so that people can't (correctly) drive in both lanes until the end and then merge.

They don't half get the hump if you manage to squeeze past them.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    Add in the people that decide to try and block the outside lane so that people can't (correctly) drive in both lanes until the end and then merge.

That's the problem. Most people are thick. If you drive past them they think you are cheating and then they will try and block you.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post

Lorry drivers block lanes and have a 100% success rate

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    That's the problem. Most people are thick. If you drive past them they think you are cheating and then they will try and block you.
    And they are right.

Stupid British people. It's in your DNA to queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring_Peace View Post
    Stupid British people. It's in your DNA to queue.
    Don't get me started on queuing. It's got it's place but queuing at the entrance to a petrol station forecourt making everyone else queue out into the road when there are spare pumps you could be using is really booody annoying. But worse than this, is this bizarre new thing that's started occurring over the last few years of people queuing in line at the bar in pubs. Hangings too good for em I tells ya.

Junction for Llantrisant Road heading into Llandaff by Cathedral School is the worst.
    Had a few issues there, which is mad as I'm pretty fair and don't try to jump my place. One old tart in a flashy BMW had the right hump as I didn't let her in even though I let the car in in front of her then took my turn.
    Another bloke was so annoyed at losing a place I thought he was going to cry.

Crazy

Feedback

Whilst I fully agree with your position it matters not if the queue begins at the point of convergence or two miles before it because the flow of cars through the single lane will be the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Whilst I fully agree with your position it matters not if the queue begins at the point of convergence or two miles before it because the flow of cars through the single lane will be the same.
    But the queuing will therefore go back further. And in the case of city roads cause junctions to be unnecessarily blocked.

Penarth Road going west from central station is a prime example of this, you get people trying to block the lane from by the station, causing traffic to build up round callaghan square.

There are less accidents and traffic flows smoother if you merge right at the end, not half a mile before, or in the case of motorways several miles before.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    But the queuing will therefore go back further. And in the case of city roads cause junctions to be unnecessarily blocked.

Penarth Road going west from central station is a prime example of this, you get people trying to block the lane from by the station, causing traffic to build up round callaghan square.

There are less accidents and traffic flows smoother if you merge right at the end, not half a mile before, or in the case of motorways several miles before.
    So you're doing a public service by flying by the queue of people who have waited their turn in line and then expecting to cut in at the last minute? There I was thinking that type were the ones taking the piss where all along you were worried about clogging up junctions behind you and not saving time queueing yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    So you're doing a public service by flying by the queue of people who have waited their turn in line and then expecting to cut in at the last minute? There I was thinking that type were the ones taking the piss where all along you were worried about clogging up junctions behind you and not saving time queueing yourself
    My thoughts exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Seconded

But that's how it's supposed to work.

Do people really that pathetic to get wound up about someone getting in front of them in a queue when driving, people need to chill out.

I think people flying to the final point to cut in is why people do this.

Bottom of the barrel scum!.

Best way to avoid is to plonk your car inbetween the lanes. I did this once and I don't think I have ever seen a more angry person in the car trying to pass. I wouldn't advise doing it.

Jumping the queue? I am joining a queue, a queue people have for what must be completely irrational reasons decided not to join. And yes it does cause junctions to be blocked. Such setups in the city are there for a reason, that is to allow traffic to queue where there is not a junction to block.

So yes you are the one being inconsiderate by not using both lanes and causing backup of traffic behind you. Causing delays to other people's journeys. By joining the queue in both junctions it saves everyone time, apart from those that decide to not use both lanes.

That is how it is designed, so use it properly. Don't cause backup of traffic.

Jumping the queue? I am joining a queue, a queue people have for what must be completely irrational reasons decided not to join. And yes it does cause junctions to be blocked. Such setups in the city are there for a reason, that is to allow traffic to queue where there is not a junction to block.

So yes you are the one being inconsiderate by not using both lanes and causing backup of traffic behind you. Causing delays to other people's journeys. By joining the queue in both junctions it saves everyone time, apart from those that decide to not use both lanes.

I've no problem with people doing this, unless theyre in a beemer.

So what if everyone does that?.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    So what if everyone does that?.
    Then there are less queues. Traffic moves faster. People don't need to get angry that people jump the queue as they is nothing to jump, and people don't get angry by blocking lanes. Everything works properly.

That sounds good. Do it.

Then there are less queues. Traffic moves faster. People don't need to get angry. Everything works properly.

That sounds good. Do it.
    That'll be a worse queue though won't it?. As there will be more waiting to let people in. Rather than single file.

If I understand what you mean.

How you could have possibly got I'm doing people a favour into your head is beyond me. You are queue jumping nothing more nothing less. You eventually have to get over to the left hand lane but your entitlement means you don't have to queue with all the rest. You just saunter down the right hand lane then cut in at the merge point.
    Your lot are up there with people that take short cuts whilst leaving The CCS.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    That'll be a worse queue though won't it?. As there will be more waiting to let people in. Rather than single file.

If I understand what you mean.
    No filtering in at one place rather than multiple places over the length of the queue is proven to be the most efficient way or merging.

By merging at all sorts of places this causes more backups and slower traffic flow. Quicker to all do it at one place. One placed at the end where you are meant to.

No filtering in at one place rather than multiple places over the length of the queue is proven to be the most efficient way or merging.

By merging at all sorts of places this causes more backups and slower traffic flow. Quicker to all do it at one place. One placed at the end where you are meant to.

But, if everyone just joined the left hand queue earlier, they would not have to slow down to let queue jumpers in, so there would be less queuing as the left hand lane would move faster.

gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Despite the many views in this thread Barry Dragon's approach is the most sensible and if everyone simply joined the shortest queue then everyone would get there in their rightful turn.

Queue anxiety and anger is a real issue though and there are many aggressive drivers who don't help the debate