+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Merge in turn? No way pal!

Re: Merge in turn? No way pal!

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Despite the many views in this thread Barry Dragon's approach is the most sensible and if everyone simply joined the shortest queue then everyone would get there in their rightful turn.

Queue anxiety and anger is a real issue though and there are many aggressive drivers who don't help the debate
    It may be the most sensible, if people had their heart in the right place. But lets be honest if everyone thought that was the right thing to do we'd all be in the free lane.

Who decides who goes in which lane.

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    How you could have possibly got I'm doing people a favour into your head is beyond me. You are queue jumping nothing more nothing less. You eventually have to get over to the left hand lane but your entitlement means you don't have to queue with all the rest. You just saunter down the right hand lane then cut in at the merge point.
    Your lot are up there with people that take short cuts whilst leaving The CCS.
    Its not doing someone a favour, its not being that arsehole who causes a junction to be blocked. People dont seem to know the road exists behind them aswell as infront. By leaving half a mile of dual carriage road half empty do you honestly think that helps anyone other than your own satisfaction as queuing? Its doesnt. It under utlises the road, it casues you anger issues when people utilise the road effectively, or as you put it, queue jump. It causes traffic to not flow aswell as people jump in all over the place, which also causes more pollution. It can cause junctions to be blocked. And its actually less likely to cause an accident, as you know when they are merging in (at the end where you are supposed to).

This has all been proven by studies.

Just because you like to queue, we all do we are british, does not mean you should opt for queuing over using the roads as they are meant to be used.

I really dont understand how queuing is more important than:

• Traffic Flow
    • Angers issues
    • Accidents
    • Pollution
    • Congestion
    • Effective queuing

If everyone used both lanes, guess what. We all queue nicely too. No queue jumping, and all the above.

It just makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    But, if everyone just joined the left hand queue earlier, they would not have to slow down to let queue jumpers in, so there would be less queuing as the left hand lane would move faster.
    But then the queue is twice as long as it needs to be, which means it's more likely to snake backwards and over junctions.

Barry is right, having everyone queuing separately and then filtering in one by one is the best and most efficient way. Unfortunately, not everyone does this and the ones on the left dont want to let the ones on the right in as they think they're queue jumping.

I guess Britain is a problem as drivers are generally courteous most of the time. In lots of other countries, it's every car for himself and this situation wouldn't occur as everyone will stay in their line to try to get to the front as quick as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    But then the queue is twice as long as it needs to be, which means it's more likely to snake backwards and over junctions.

Barry is right, having everyone queuing separately and then filtering in one by one is the best and most efficient way. Unfortunately, not everyone does this and the ones on the left dont want to let the ones on the right in as they think they're queue jumping.

I guess Britain is a problem as drivers are generally courteous most of the time. In lots of other countries, it's every car for himself and this situation wouldn't occur as everyone will stay in their line to try to get to the front as quick as possible.

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooooosh

Caught one.

Is there anything more British than a heated debate over queuing etiquette?

When there is no junction to cause danger I am sure these noble drivers will get in line.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    When there is no junction to cause danger I am sure these noble drivers will get in line.
    How would a driver know how long the queue is from his position? He can't know whether the queue goes over a junction when he is at the back.

How would a driver know how long the queue is from his position? He can't know whether the queue goes over a junction when he is at the back.
    It is obvious you leave a wide gap at a junction.

99% of the people flying up the outside lane are just dicks.

You may find people like barry dragon with logic behind it but I'd guess that is the extreme minority.

Safety doesn't come in to it. Queuing to leave at a junction before a game, coming from Merthyr way, people fly in at the last second. The same mentality. Luckily they've made that one bit into one lane up the hill.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 07-03-17 at 10:07.

Better make the most of this thread. Once we have driverless cars this will be a thing of the past. Enjoy it while you can.

You may find people like barry dragon with logic behind it but I'd guess that is the extreme minority.

Safety doesn't come in to it. Queuing to leave at a junction before a game, coming from Merthyr way, people fly in at the last second. The same mentality. Luckily they've made that one bit into one lane up the hill.
    Who cares if some dick head does that, why do people let it get to them?

It's up there with people moaning about people parking on the street outside their terraced house with no parking.

that is where the dislike of using the full lanes comes from. People jumping traffic by being in the wrong lane to join the queue at the front.

But when it is a merge in turn that is how it is meant to operate.

Separate the 2, as they are completely different. One is genuine queue jumping, and the other is using the road as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Seconded
    Thirded

Can we also have a moan about the people who, trundling along at less than 30, get into the outside lane of the A470 just after the Gabalfa flyover and then stay there in the 40 zone because they are turning right at Whitchurch golf course and are worried they might not get another chance to pull into the left lane before their turn.

Wankers.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    But the queuing will therefore go back further. And in the case of city roads cause junctions to be unnecessarily blocked.

Penarth Road going west from central station is a prime example of this, you get people trying to block the lane from by the station, causing traffic to build up round callaghan square.

There are less accidents and traffic flows smoother if you merge right at the end, not half a mile before, or in the case of motorways several miles before.
    I don't disagree, but that's not what was first said

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    But that's how it's supposed to work.

Do people really that pathetic to get wound up about someone getting in front of them in a queue when driving, people need to chill out.
    Agreed. It's amazing how many people get wound up if someone gets ahead of them or doesn't follow perceived etiquette.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Then there are less queues. Traffic moves faster. People don't need to get angry that people jump the queue as they is nothing to jump, and people don't get angry by blocking lanes. Everything works properly.

That sounds good. Do it.
    Traffic doesn't move faster. Certainly not moving forward.

Feedback

It may be the most sensible, if people had their heart in the right place. But lets be honest if everyone thought that was the right thing to do we'd all be in the free lane.

Who decides who goes in which lane.
    If we were all in the free Lane then that would be full and the full Lane would then be empty

The road markings are there to show you where to merge so why would you merge further back down the road?
    You don't see Give Way markings at a junction and decide to stop way back down the road, so I can't see why merge markings should be treated any different.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The road markings are there to show you where to merge so why would you merge further back down the road?
    You don't see Give Way markings at a junction and decide to stop way back down the road, so I can't see why merge markings should be treated any different.
    Talking about Give Way. It's a little known fact that, as a driver, you are supposed to give way to pedestrians at T-junctions too, not just vehicles.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Talking about Give Way. It's a little known fact that, as a driver, you are supposed to give way to pedestrians at T-junctions too, not just vehicles.
    Not just at t junctions. Any car turning off one road onto another always has to give way to a pedestrian

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    Not just at t junctions. Any car turning off one road onto another always has to give way to a pedestrian
    Oh man, I've been mowing those buggers down for years, now it turns out I'm the arsehole.

I wonder if the people driving right down the front and then merging would be doing everyone this favour if that lane was a bus lane with a camera pointed at it?

Quote Originally Posted by insider View Post
    I wonder if the people driving right down the front and then merging would be doing everyone this favour if that lane was a bus lane with a camera pointed at it?
    You wonder if people would do the same thing if it was a completely different situation? Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    You wonder if people would do the same thing if it was a completely different situation? Good point!
    I`ll take that as a no.

I wonder if people driving right down the front and then merging would do it if there was a pit of lava there 🤔