+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Development team hit Watford for seven.

Development team hit Watford for seven.

Re: Development team hit Watford for seven.

Excellent write up, thank you.

A reason to be optimistic & hopefully we will see a few of these youngsters in first team action very soon.

Thanks for the report Bob. It once again highlights the fact that the club are finally establishing a vision that is sustainable.

Your report is music to my ears. You know that i didn't mince my words regarding Kevin Nicholson as i believed he completely interested in self promotion and his teams resembled this throughout.

Last night in my opinion is what DVP squad should look like and if players are pushed beyond their comfort zone to play against 23 year olds and pro's at 15 then surely there is a higher probability of this bearing fruit for the first team.

I feel like Tommy O'Sullivan and co were let down by our club in that they were allowed to stagnate for so long when they should have been pushed in the same manner.

I wish i could have made it last night as I'd love to see a Cardiff City team brave enough to play with a "false 9".

I've recently purchased Cardiff City player in the hope that I'd be able to watch the dvp games but they are only showing short highlights which i think is ridiculous from the club.

I've recently purchased Cardiff City player in the hope that I'd be able to watch the dvp games but they are only showing short highlights which i think is ridiculous from the club.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more with this I for one would love to see these games in their entirety on Player. Surely the club could do this as these games are bound to be recorded. Is anyone aware of who at the club is responsible for such things perhaps if enough of us email suggesting the idea something positive will come of it.

Btw, excellent report as always Bob, made for very encouraging reading indeed.

It's great that Warnock seems to be encouraging the development of the youngsters here, it'll be interesting to see how the playing style evolves though. If we're going to push for promotion next season then surely he won't even consider switching to total football with centre halves bringing the ball out and full backs giving us width but if that's the long term aim then how will we go from one to the other? Hard to see us getting out of the Championship, especially under Warnock, without Peltier, Morrison, Gunnarsson type players, equally hard to see those type of players switching to playing it out from the back at a later date. Not being unduly negative, just wondering how it would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    I've recently purchased Cardiff City player in the hope that I'd be able to watch the dvp games but they are only showing short highlights which i think is ridiculous from the club.

Couldn't agree more with this I for one would love to see these games in their entirety on Player. Surely the club could do this as these games are bound to be recorded. Is anyone aware of who at the club is responsible for such things perhaps if enough of us email suggesting the idea something positive will come of it.

Btw, excellent report as always Bob, made for very encouraging reading indeed.
    There was a time not so long ago when Development team matches at Cardiff City Stadium were shown live on You Tube - not sure why that was stopped.

My guess is that they don't show videos of whole games at Development team or Under 18 matches on Cardiff City World because they don't think anyone would watch them. They're always filming games at those levels, so the videos are already there and I don't see how it would cost them anything to bung matches on there. In fact, it may make them a few quid as a few more people decide to sign up - I'd contact the media department about it if I were you, maybe Mark Denham would be the person to talk to?.

Highlights are on Cardiff City World now.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Highlights are on Cardiff City World now.
    Cheers Bob/Gringo will be on the case later!

Email bounced back - No such user here.

He's on twitter too mate

Sorry mate i just read it again and it's

mark.denham@cardiffcityfc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It's great that Warnock seems to be encouraging the development of the youngsters here, it'll be interesting to see how the playing style evolves though. If we're going to push for promotion next season then surely he won't even consider switching to total football with centre halves bringing the ball out and full backs giving us width but if that's the long term aim then how will we go from one to the other? Hard to see us getting out of the Championship, especially under Warnock, without Peltier, Morrison, Gunnarsson type players, equally hard to see those type of players switching to playing it out from the back at a later date. Not being unduly negative, just wondering how it would happen.

Personally I'm not worried in the slightest about that mate. I think Warnock will be here another two seasons max and then i think he'll hand over the baton.

I think it's easy to teach a player to clear his lines and hit the ball long from defence toward a target man. This can be taught to a defender in one training session but it's far harder to adapt the other way.

My only worry (and maybe this is what you are saying) is that Warnock may pull the plug on this way of football and bring people in at u23 level who coach football his way.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Personally I'm not worried in the slightest about that mate. I think Warnock will be here another two seasons max and then i think he'll hand over the baton.

I think it's easy to teach a player to clear his lines and hit the ball long from defence toward a target man. This can be taught to a defender in one training session but it's far harder to adapt the other way.

My only worry (and maybe this is what you are saying) is that Warnock may pull the plug on this way of football and bring people in at u23 level who coach football his way.

I also think players like Peltier are becoming a dying breed. You don't often see bread and butter full backs in academy football anymore. They are all taught to play football whereas in my day it was rare to see a full back who didn't "hit the channel".

If you look at todays championship you see far more "number 10s" who play between the lines and full backs who overlapand i believe this will filter further down the leagues in the next 5 years.

If Pep succeeds with his vision at City then i wouldnt be surprised to this overhaul of English football sooner rather than later.

Blue in the Face

Great report. Weymans is getting more and more praise in your reports these days. One thing that will help his route to the first team is that he can play in a few positions. But it sounds like centre mid will be where he belongs.

Glad to hear about the Spanish style. For one thing we tend to produce bigger numbers of smaller technical players. So this playing style makes sense. Hopefully there'll be no more discarding of players like Regan Poole.

Totally agree. I wonder if this isn't a CCFC choice? That's an umbrella company that runs those player sites. Wonder if their stingy with their server space or something? Or perhaps there's a legal issue because of the age of the players? Shame as I'd love to watch last nights game in its entirety.

Also this having the games on Player could keep TOBW away from games and prevent his Tom-foolery behind the goals.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 07-03-17 at 21:31.

Not worried about that, or Warnock blocking youngsters path to the first team. I'm just saying that I don't quite understand how the transition in style of play will come about. We saw the problems Ole had with a Malky squad and the problems Trollope had with a Slade squad, how will it be any easier for Bellamy taking over a Warnock squad? You can't just walk in and say 'we're not playing that way any more, we're going to play this way' if the players you've got aren't suited to it. One, or both, of them will have to compromise if the changeover is to be a smooth one. Not a problem for now anyway, it'll be interesting to watch things unfold.

Not worried about that, or Warnock blocking youngsters path to the first team. I'm just saying that I don't quite understand how the transition in style of play will come about. We saw the problems Ole had with a Malky squad and the problems Trollope had with a Slade squad, how will it be any easier for Bellamy taking over a Warnock squad? You can't just walk in and say 'we're not playing that way any more, we're going to play this way' if the players you've got aren't suited to it. One, or both, of them will have to compromise if the changeover is to be a smooth one. Not a problem for now anyway, it'll be interesting to watch things unfold.
    I'm with Gringo on this one. Although I think you make a fair point when you say that many of the good technical footballers currently in the Under 23 squad are never going to be imposing physical specimens, I think it's much easier to teach good footballers to play in a basic way than vice versa.

City have managed to get clear of the relegation zone while playing what many would perceive as typical Neil Warnock football, but I'd say that all of the evidence of the three seasons we have spent in this division since our relegation tells us that we've not has a senior squad capable of playing a more technical, possession based game - let's face it, our attempt to play that way under Trollope was a disaster.

I'm not saying that the three or four signings Warnock says we need are going to transform us into a squad capable of playing in the way Fulham did down here ten days ago (we'll never become that sort of team under this manager), but maybe they'll see us more capable of coming up with something that is a little closer to what we are seeing from the Under 23s thereby helping make the jump into the senior squad less of a culture shock for any of our youngsters who are thought good enough to make the step up than it might be currently.

Sorry mate i just read it again and it's

mark.denham@cardiffcityfc.co.uk
    Cheers Gringo, much appreciated, got there in the end!

I'd prefer us to take advantage of the loan market if Warnock only sees his future here for one season to be honest.
    If we sign 2 or 3 players and loan 2 or 3 players then the transition would be a lot smoother.

I can see this season as the last season we throw any money at promotion, then i can see us having a fire sale then proper balancing the books.

Some of our unreasonable fans would kick off but i would be fine with this personally.

Having breifly looked at the reports regarding our accounts yesterday this has to be the way forward.

We need to be bringing 4 or 5 of this dvp squad through in the next few years in order to make us a club who are sustainable.

The problem ironically with this system is if we do get promoted next season. Then i don't know what will happen as i think the club may not opt for someone like Bellamy and may abandon the long term plans and repeat the mistakes we made last time.

I'm very happy with what Warnock has done so far but i hope he just leaves the academy system do what they are doing as I see a lot of potential for the next few years.

Kids are continually being challenged to play way beyond their age level and this is inevitably taking them out of their comfort zone and preparing them for first team football. I know this is a big jump but it certainly is sink or swim for the kids in the academy these days and the relative comfort blankets that O'Sullivan Wharton and co were used to have been swept away.

I think this model is great as if you do have 15 year olds who are accustomed to playing u23 football against grown men and pro's then surely this will give them a great chance when they are required to make the full stepnto fist team football at 18 or 19.

Cheers Gringo, much appreciated, got there in the end!

No problem mate. Let us know what he comes back with

I just watched the goals on player. They were unbelievable fair play. Some of the movement and passing was on another level. Weymans vision was a joy.

No problem mate. Let us know what he comes back with
    Have received a pretty favourable reply from Jamie Decruz Head of Tv and Video after Mark kindly forwarded my message onto him.

He is basically happy to look at this again but previous attempts to upload entire Academy and Development matches haven't been successful.

They only have limited storage for on demand footage with the majority having to be dedicated to the first team. However, he will upload the Watford 23's win and monitor the views.

So I guess it's down to subscribers now to generate enough hits for the club to have a re think of showing future games in their entirety at this level.

Have received a pretty favourable reply from Jamie Decruz Head of Tv and Video after Mark kindly forwarded my message onto him.

He is basically happy to look at this again but previous attempts to upload entire Academy and Development matches haven't been successful.

They only have limited storage for on demand footage with the majority having to be dedicated to the first team. However, he will upload the Watford 23's win and monitor the views.

So I guess it's down to subscribers now to generate enough hits for the club to have a re think of showing future games in their entirety at this level.
    That's excellent mate. Well done for doing something about it. I'll look forward to watching that.

I just watched the goals on player. They were unbelievable fair play. Some of the movement and passing was on another level. Weymans vision was a joy.
    It was incredible. If anyone fancies counting the number of passes when they watch the game back, I'd be interested to know the total. Probably more than the whole of Slade's reign put together.

Good post earlier, by the way. I'd wondered about the effect promotion would have too. I really don't think the club would make the same mistakes again. At the same time, I don't think they'd say 'you take over now Craig, fill the team with local teenagers and let's pass the Premier League to death' either. Like I said before, it's going to be interesting to see how things unfold.

Blue in the Face

You star! Hopefully Mr Decruz can sort this.

I'd be happy for Player to store one senior game less if it meant they could temporarily store a single DVP game at a time.