+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Smart meters NOT so smart !

Smart meters NOT so smart !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39169313

Idiots having these installed, just switch off.

Re: Smart meters NOT so smart !

I've had a few calls regarding having them installed, I've asked the obvious question, 'Will they save me money?', no positive response, so seeing as a saving would be the only benefit to me that I can see, it's a no from me.

Smart meter = a money-making machine for SSE and the like. Yes, it will let customers know how much power they are using at different times of the day (it's possible to do that yourself now with various devices on the market) but it will also allow SSE to apply different tariffs at different times of the day e.g. higher charges at peak times which most people won't be able to avoid, like 6.00 to 9.00am and 5.00 to 8.00pm. and lower charges from midnight to 6.00am. But you can bet that the higher charges will comfortably outweigh the lower ones, so the average cost to the customer will go up!

The Utility Co's have failed to make these meters compatible with other utility providers, so it is hardly 'green' as things stand - just increasing piles of outmoded meters - junked - if anyone wants to switch providers.
    They could have all got together and decided on a common technology.
    That would have been waaaay to sensible. They want the potential tie-in of course.

Utter ***** the lot of them and bullshitting ***** at that.

Who owns the smart meter? You can purchase insurance for it but are meant to leave it behind if you move house.

How can you dispute a wrong bill? In this instance it was clear that there had been an error but what if someone had been over-billed by only £100? The technology is not going to be infallible.

There is no obligation to switch so might as well wait for the kinks to be ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Who owns the smart meter? You can purchase insurance for it but are meant to leave it behind if you move house.

How can you dispute a wrong bill? In this instance it was clear that there had been an error but what if someone had been over-billed by only £100? The technology is not going to be infallible.

There is no obligation to switch so might as well wait for the kinks to be ironed out.
    At the very least, wait until these not-so-smart meters are compatible with all energy suppliers.