+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After tonight's Barca PSG game

After tonight's Barca PSG game

Got to thinking about all the diving and cheating that goes on. Great game tonight for the neutral, but Suarez and Neymars diving antics were embarrassing.
    Not sure if anyone else will agree with this, but the greats of the past such as George Best, Pele, Maradona etc, always tried to stay on their feet and score, even with defenders pushing and trying to take them down.
    Ok Maradonas hand of god moment was cheating, but they always seemed to have the desire to stay upright and get the last word by scoring. So many others would go down if you so much as blew on them.

Re: After tonight's Barca PSG game

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Got to thinking about all the diving and cheating that goes on. Great game tonight for the neutral, but Suarez and Neymars diving antics were embarrassing.
    Not sure if anyone else will agree with this, but the greats of the past such as George Best, Pele, Maradona etc, always tried to stay on their feet and score, even with defenders pushing and trying to take them down.
    Ok Maradonas hand of god moment was cheating, but they always seemed to have the desire to stay upright and get the last word by scoring. So many others would go down if you so much as blew on them.
    PS you can add Messi to that list. He always tries to stay on his feet.
    Last edited by William Treseder; 08-03-17 at 23:00. Reason: Grammar

A couple of years ago jordi alba went down as if an arsenal player had kicked him when there had been no contact.

It always seems much worse when a big team does it against a smaller side, and they don't come much bigger than Barcelona.

It just comes down to what constitutes a foul. Years ago it would have had to have been a sufficient contact to have impeded you or brought you down. Nowadays it's seems as though if you're touched, however lightly, you have to hit the deck in order to display to the ref that you've been fouled.

IMO if the tackle isn't hard enough to bring you down, then it's not a foul anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    It just comes down to what constitutes a foul. Years ago it would have had to have been a sufficient contact to have impeded you or brought you down. Nowadays it's seems as though if you're touched, however lightly, you have to hit the deck in order to display to the ref that you've been fouled.

IMO if the tackle isn't hard enough to bring you down, then it's not a foul anyway.
    if paris st germain had been chasing a four goal deficit at home, you can bet your bottom dollar that they would have been playing the referee as well as barcelona, it would not have been allowed to happen .

the champions league is very much like the premier league the top sides will always get key decisions go for them. its all to do with tv and viewing figures and how much money they can make..

they want all the top sides playing against each other in the major finals , even though most of the country or neutrals want a david v goliath scenario which is more entertaining than watching the same teams win everything.

they do not realise that they are boring most of the country to death , and that if football becomes a closed shop many people will just simply switch off if you do not support any of the top sides

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post

they want all the top sides playing against each other in the major finals , even though most of the country or neutrals want a david v goliath scenario which is more entertaining than watching the same teams win everything.

they do not realise that they are boring most of the country to death , and that if football becomes a closed shop many people will just simply switch off if you do not support any of the top sides
    We might like to think this is true, but it's absolutely not. David v Goliath is great if David wins, but most of the time it's Goliath with a comfortable 2-0 without even trying. Look at the FA Cup finals since the famous Wimbledon win. I'd count a dozen where there's a big club against a 'smaller' one. The only David to win was Wigan.

What you're saying doesn't really make sense anyway. First, they're concerned about viewing figures so they make sure the big teams go through. Then many people will simply switch off if it's only the big sides left? How can both be right?

Still, everyone seems to have been bored to death by the Barca game tonight

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Yeah and we got the Monaco v Man City game to come. Yawnsville!

We might like to think this is true, but it's absolutely not. David v Goliath is great if David wins, but most of the time it's Goliath with a comfortable 2-0 without even trying. Look at the FA Cup finals since the famous Wimbledon win. I'd count a dozen where there's a big club against a 'smaller' one. The only David to win was Wigan.

What you're saying doesn't really make sense anyway. First, they're concerned about viewing figures so they make sure the big teams go through. Then many people will simply switch off if it's only the big sides left? How can both be right?

its very simply to explain, how many finals have been contested by the biggest clubs in the country in the last 15 -20 years ?

name me a final that does not include the following teams, man utd, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool, man city, arsenal, spurs, etc. the only one was portsmouth v cardiff, this year will be exactly the same.

unless you fancy lincoln to get there.
    Last edited by chris; 09-03-17 at 00:44.

You were just talking about David V Goliath. Now it's "very simply to explain" but you're talking about something else.

For what it's worth, I don't think much of the country gave a shit about our final.

It's part of the game now ,don't ever see it changing , if our promotion hinged on a blanted dive and resulting penalty that won us the game ,would we boo or moan , I guess not , we would chuckle and move on ,.

Its an unfortunate side effect to a great sport that has so much to lose, on a single decision or act , and until they video reference the game retrospectively on this matter and punish known cheating harshly with point reductions, we have to accept it , or watch another clean upright morale sport, such as cycling , athletics, boxing ,horse racing 😅

You were just talking about David V Goliath. Now it's "very simply to explain" but you're talking about something else.

For what it's worth, I don't think much of the country gave a shit about our final.
    most of the country are sick to death of the same six or seven clubs ruling the roost FACTAMUNDO

go back to before sky tv came along and see how many clubs contested an fa cup final then , southampton , coventry, wimbledon, sunderland, fulham, ipswich, brighton, sheff wednesday, the list is endless. it as become a closed shop now and the fa cup is basically the same as the premier league now, dominated by the clubs with all the money

most of the country are sick to death of the same six or seven clubs ruling the roost FACTAMUNDO

go back to before sky tv came along and see how many clubs contested an fa cup final then , southampton , coventry, wimbledon, sunderland, fulham, ipswich, brighton, sheff wednesday, the list is endless. it as become a closed shop now and the fa cup is basically the same as the premier league now, dominated by the clubs with all the money

Care to name a decade when there weren't six or seven dominant clubs? Name any decade and I'll tell you who the dominant half dozen were at that time

By the way, since 2000 (about the same timescale as your list) Southampton, Millwall, West Ham, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Stoke, Wigan, Hull, Villa and Palace have all been in an FA Cup final.

yeah, how many won though ?

im talking about winners not somebody making the numbers up .

Care to name a decade when there weren't six or seven dominant clubs? Name any decade and I'll tell you who the dominant half dozen were at that time .
    The 1890s?

You think Fulham, Brighton and Wednesday won?

You think Fulham, Brighton and Wednesday won?
    they were more underdogs won the fa cup, than there as ever been since before sky tv came along, and that wont change anytime soon. whilst the priveleged few clubs have all the money period.

they were more underdogs won the fa cup, than there as ever been since before sky tv came along, and that wont change anytime soon. whilst the priveleged few clubs have all the money period.
    You've got the makings of a good point in there somewhere but I'll help you get it out. There's no point using FA Cup finals as a benchmark because you don't need to be a huge club to get there. The last seven finals have had Wigan, Villa, Stoke, Hull, Portsmouth and Palace in it.

There's also no point looking at the top end of the Premier League. For about a decade, only Man Utd and Arsenal won it - and they were so far ahead it looked like they would dominate for another decade. Then Abramovich came along and now the top of the league is as open as I have ever known it to be.

What you need to be looking at is the bottom end of the PL. That's what can become a closed shop as the teams that get relegated have a strong chance to bounce back straight away and it becomes ever more difficult for other clubs to get promotion (as Leeds will testify). But the top of the league doesn't prove your point at all because there are half a dozen clubs who have a very realistic chance of winning it this season, and even the current champions aren't in that list. Next season it will be just as open.

Now you can thank me for helping your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    The 1890s?
    Blackburn, Wolves, Sheffield Utd, Preston, Villa, Sunderland

PS you can add Messi to that list. He always tries to stay on his feet.

Plus, Jimmy Greaves

I'm giving up my Sky and BT subscriptions next month, so will have to rely on Match of the Day, Channel 5's Football League coverage (I know), You Tube and Cardiff City World for my football "fix" from then on. I'm looking forward to it in many ways because it's a bit like going back to my roots in the 60s, 70s and 80s when I first became a football nut. However, the one doubt I have in the back of my mind is that I'm not appreciating how the game, and the way it is covered on television, has changed since those days.

Yes, you'd always have analysis of foul play (I can remember the BBC having a field day with their coverage of the Francis Lee/ Norman Hunter and Billy Bremner/Kevin Keegan punch ups forty years ago), but so much of the modern Match of the Day coverage mirrors what you get from Sky whereby a lot of time is spent analysing possible penalties to see if they were dives or not. In a five minute package of highlights of any game these days, there is very likely to be two or three "incidents" where penalties are claimed.

I don't blame the television companies for this really, because they're only reflecting what the game has become - nowadays, it's very rare to come across a professional football match that can be said to have been won on superior footballing ability alone.

I'm glad they got through and didn't care how they done it. I wanna see atleast one of the big 3 in Cardiff. If it's a real Madrid Barca final, it could turn out to be the most watched club game ever, but I'd take one of them 2 against Bayern

Care to name a decade when there weren't six or seven dominant clubs? Name any decade and I'll tell you who the dominant half dozen were at that time

By the way, since 2000 (about the same timescale as your list) Southampton, Millwall, West Ham, Portsmouth, Cardiff, Stoke, Wigan, Hull, Villa and Palace have all been in an FA Cup final.
    And Leeds?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by cwhris View Post

Usually the better teams win. The better teams are usually those higher up the league. Next you will be telling us the Pope prays for peace

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    And Leeds?
    This thread is about teams who've made it to the fa cup final and not some shitty 3Rd world backwater

People are saying that was neymar's best ever performance.

I thought he was complete and utter turd.