+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales Rugby

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Wales Rugby

I think criticism of Welsh rugby should always be done while acknowledging the story where Gatland was taken in a helicopter for x number of hours (perhaps even an hour) when he first arrived and shown all the rugby clubs and told that this is what he had to work with.

Despite this we have always managed to compete by playing above our small stature, and I'm not sure if this group of coaches are too focused on how small we are and forgetting our previous capability to play above ourselves. Whatever the reason, it's bloody depressing to go back through the team selections over the last 10 years and see pretty much the same group of players even though several now have more bad games than good.

We seem to be on a downturn of fortunes currently (every side in every sport has these periods) but are we doing anything/enough to get out of it? Many people responded "it's been two years" when they said in the pre-Ireland press "you don't become a bad team overnight."

Re: Wales Rugby

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I think criticism of Welsh rugby should always be done while acknowledging the story where Gatland was taken in a helicopter for x number of hours (perhaps even an hour) when he first arrived and shown all the rugby clubs and told that this is what he had to work with.

Despite this we have always managed to compete by playing above our small stature, and I'm not sure if this group of coaches are too focused on how small we are and forgetting our previous capability to play above ourselves. Whatever the reason, it's bloody depressing to go back through the team selections over the last 10 years and see pretty much the same group of players even though several now have more bad games than good.

We seem to be on a downturn of fortunes currently (every side in every sport has these periods) but are we doing anything/enough to get out of it? Many people responded "it's been two years" when they said in the pre-Ireland press "you don't become a bad team overnight."
    Rugby is a huge asset to our rural backwater and still people hope for its demise.

Guaranteed tens of millions into the economy every single year.