+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ex-Bluebirds score in Europa League today

ex-Bluebirds score in Europa League today

Andreas Cornelius scored the winner against Ajax.

Guido Burgstaller has just scored for FC Schalke 04 against Borussia Monchengladbach. He joined Schalke in the January transfer window.

Of course, neither of them were good enough for us....

Re: ex-Bluebirds score in Europa League today

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post

Guido Burgstaller has just scored for FC Schalke 04 against Borussia Monchengladbach. He joined Schalke in the January transfer window.

Burgstaller was good - we should have kept him.

Burgstaller just hit the bar too (great shot deflected onto the woodwork by a Mönchengladbach defender). Could've made it 2-1 there. Schalke on top here.

Burgstaller is playing as the one up top with a man behind him according to my scores apps. Not quite the position Solskjær put him in...

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    Burgstaller just hit the bar too (great shot deflected onto the woodwork by a Mönchengladbach defender). Could've made it 2-1 there. Schalke on top here.

Burgstaller is playing as the one up top with a man behind him according to my scores apps. Not quite the position Solskjær put him in...
    You know your umlauts and your dipthongs, young man....

Different world ,and pace, they struggle with the vigour and physicality of the championship ,if they were that good they would be earning serious bucks in the premiership which is the next skill step from where we apply our trade.

No matter how much people bring it up Cornelius looked dreadful in his time here and he even run like Charlie Chaplin!
    Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday about his chance vs West Ham that he heads the ball like he's got a crash helmet on!
    Malky paid £10 million on one for the future for Cardiff ****ing City!

Burgstaller is a different matter altogether. Ole signed for a reasonable fee but then never gave him a chance to prove himself and he hardly kicked a ball for us. Then Russell came in and thought Alex Revell was a good player so i rest my case.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    No matter how much people bring it up Cornelius looked dreadful in his time here and he even run like Charlie Chaplin!
    Charlie Nicholas said on Soccer Saturday about his chance vs West Ham that he heads the ball like he's got a crash helmet on!

Burgstaller is a different matter altogether. Ole signed for a reasonable fee but then never gave him a chance to prove himself and he hardly kicked a ball for us. Then Russell came in and thought Alex Revell was a good player so i rest my case.
    I spoke with Cornelius outside the Boleyn Ground after the West Ham opener, asked him if he was going to be fit for the Man. City game. When he walked away I noticed he was knock-kneed. Looked really odd, especially a professional footballer ...

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Different world ,and pace, they struggle with the vigour and physicality of the championship ,if they were that good they would be earning serious bucks in the premiership which is the next skill step from where we apply our trade.
    The bundesliga is not played at a slower pace than the championship.

A few years later and teams are paying 10 million (more than Cornelius) for championship players.

A lot of the foreign lads didn't want to be here from day one and definitely didn't want to be here after Ole left. He'd have been on a wedge and we had to cut costs. The fact is, if Ole had played him and he played well, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Solksjaer is the worst manager we've had in a generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    A lot of the foreign lads didn't want to be here from day one and definitely didn't want to be here after Ole left. He'd have been on a wedge and we had to cut costs. The fact is, if Ole had played him and he played well, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Solksjaer is the worst manager we've had in a generation.
    Trollope? Durban???

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Trollope? Durban???
    You appear to have a thing about Trollope. Agree wasnt a great manager but a very good coach I reckon.
    If he had got it right we would have been playing with more style.

Had some of the best laughs at Burton away when the fans were singing "you're getting sacked in the morning" at him

That was the Cardiff fans and "we had a shot" in the 85th minute. Black humour.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    A few years later and teams are paying 10 million (more than Cornelius) for championship players.

That's besides the point.

A) Three years seems to be a long time these days and i think the continual waste of money on Mccormack and Rhodes is ridiculous too.
    B) We could have and should have signed someone like Danny Ings if we wanted to sign someone for the future for about 2 million.
    C) Nobody in their right mind would spend near enough 1/3 of their budget on a striker for the future when we were in desperate need for a striker there and then. (However i don't believe for a minute malky signed Cornelius for the future, but just realised the error he had made)

Trollope? Durban???
    Trollope didn't piss £20m up the wall on players that didn't want to be here. Durban was sacked 31 years ago, which is why I said generation. OGS is half the reason why we're in this FFP mess and left us with the likes of Adeyemi and Macheda on long term, big money deals.

That's besides the point.

A) Three years seems to be a long time these days and i think the continual waste of money on Mccormack and Rhodes is ridiculous too.
    B) We could have and should have signed someone like Danny Ings if we wanted to sign someone for the future for about 2 million.
    C) Nobody in their right mind would spend near enough 1/3 of their budget on a striker for the future when we were in desperate need for a striker there and then. (However i don't believe for a minute malky signed Cornelius for the future, but just realised the error he had made)
    We needed a striker for Malky's style of play and he gambled. It was naive and wrong, and I really hope it was above board. Having said that, whatever scout watched him play should have been sacked on the spot. I have never, ever seen a player look so out of his depth. It was embarrassing. Maybe he couldn't give a toss, but everything looked off. His running style, first touch, that "header", his shooting. Abysmal.

Also, £8m then, as you said was like £20m now. It was (and is) serious money.

Just saw burgstallers finish against monchengladbach, he looked a real handful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    You appear to have a thing about Trollope. Agree wasnt a great manager but a very good coach I reckon.

Had some of the best laughs at Burton away when the fans were singing "you're getting sacked in the morning" at him

Yeah, I think he probably was a good coach, certainly there was a noticeable improvement when he joined our Russ on the touchline, and even as manager, with his experience with Wales, I had high hopes. Maybe too high, but he inherited a team that finished eighth the previous season and won two out of twelve matches.

Yeah, I think he probably was a good coach, certainly there was a noticeable improvement when he joined our Russ on the touchline, and even as manager, with his experience with Wales, I had high hopes. Maybe too high, but he inherited a team that finished eighth the previous season and won two out of twelve matches.
    Makes him look like Pep compared to Zola.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    We needed a striker for Malky's style of play and he gambled. It was naive and wrong, and I really hope it was above board. Having said that, whatever scout watched him play should have been sacked on the spot. I have never, ever seen a player look so out of his depth. It was embarrassing. Maybe he couldn't give a toss, but everything looked off. His running style, first touch, that "header", his shooting. Abysmal.

Also, £8m then, as you said was like £20m now. It was (and is) serious money.

A weekly reminder that Cornelius was given 107 minutes' playing time in the league while at Cardiff. One hundred and seven minutes - a little over a game of football, while carrying an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by *** G L O V E S *** View Post
    A weekly reminder that Cornelius was given 107 minutes' playing time in the league while at Cardiff. One hundred and seven minutes - a little over a game of football, while carrying an injury.
    107 minutes playing for a team that was in free fall, who were trying to use him to hold the ball up which isn't his game.

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    I spoke with Cornelius outside the Boleyn Ground after the West Ham opener, asked him if he was going to be fit for the Man. City game. When he walked away I noticed he was knock-kneed. Looked really odd, especially a professional footballer ...
    Garrincha was like that - knock-kneed.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post

I watched Cornelius in a kick in once he was absolute shite I wouldn't have paid him in washers, at the time getting rid of him was the correct decision

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post

But Trollope was our manager and probably the worst of my time supporter City.

Quote Originally Posted by *** G L O V E S *** View Post
    You can watch a player and think, OK, he's not up to full speed etc. Cornelius looked like he had no idea what he was doing. His touch was horrible (that is a good sign of a player) and his shooting in drills etc was hideous. Bellamy also called him a disgrace regarding his professionalism. I think I'm a half decent judge of a player and he didn't have it. His 1 in 4 record in Denmark for by far the best team in the country is testament to the fact he's not all that either.

Quote Originally Posted by WJ99mobile View Post
    But Trollope was our manager and probably the worst of my time supporter City.
    Worse than OGS?