+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Strange kick off times.

Strange kick off times.

Can anyone else remember yonks ago when Newport County's home games on a Saturday used to kick off at 3.15pm? I was told that it was because the day shift at Llanwern Steel works finished at 3pm and it gave the workers a chance to get to Somerton Park. Not sure if that was true though.
    Also Torquay Utds home games on a Saturday used to kick off at 7.15pm. Anyone know why?

Re: Strange kick off times.

On a very related note, why do Reading's midweek games always kick off at 8pm while the rest of the league is 7.45pm? Is it just traffic concerns every time?

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    On a very related note, why do Reading's midweek games always kick off at 8pm while the rest of the league is 7.45pm? Is it just traffic concerns every time?
    The Reading issue is that the ground is totally South of Reading so it gives fans more time to get there. Also I am told it gives their London based fans time to get there too.

We always used to be a 3.15pm club

I remember when County used to play on Monday nights to avoid clashes. This was in an era when there was very little midweek footy.

Up until 1957 teams kicked off 3pm on a Christmas day in front of huge crowds, and players could not be forced to play , as it was a religious day so it was optional, prayer or scoring , no bloody kissing though.

Manchester United to kick off in future at 11:30pm to give all their fans a chance to get there after work!

Tranmere were the Friday night favourites.
    You kill me Greavesy

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    Can anyone else remember yonks ago when Newport County's home games on a Saturday used to kick off at 3.15pm? I was told that it was because the day shift at Llanwern Steel works finished at 3pm and it gave the workers a chance to get to Somerton Park. Not sure if that was true though.
    Also Torquay Utds home games on a Saturday used to kick off at 7.15pm. Anyone know why?
    Think in the case of Torquay they had a tradition of giving local league players a chance to play their games on a Sat. afternoon and then be able to make the evening game but they eventually went back to 3pm kick offs by the early 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Up until 1957 teams kicked off 3pm on a Christmas day in front of huge crowds, and players could not be forced to play , as it was a religious day so it was optional, prayer or scoring , no bloody kissing though.
    And often the reverse fixture was on Boxing Day!

Cardiff often used to kick off at ridiculous times to prevent their fans from attending. FACT.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post

And (NSASWA), 7-30pm for night games.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    In the 70s games would kick off earlier than 3pm. Was that because of the fuel crisis or because some clubs had no floodlights?

Also, a Swansea game at NP. I distinctly remember a game kicking off at 1030 am. Late 80s early 90s. Finished 2-2 after we took an early 2 goal lead through Gilligan. Probably wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    And (NSASWA), 7-30pm for night games.
    Yes, always preferred 7-30 .