+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great player, shite manager

Re: Great player, shite manager

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Joe Mercer, Bill Shankley, Matt Busby, Don Revie, Roy Race, all decent players and decent managers, especially Roy Race, he won the lot as both player and manager, kidnapped a few times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Rubbish

Leeds have never dominated English football.

Neither have Forest. Though they did win the European Cup twice in a row I believe.

Liverpool , Man U have both dominated English Football.

Leeds of the 70s were well before my time. But im sure they only one the league once in that era.
    jesus the buses dont run where you live do they .

65- 75 leeds were easily the most dominant force in english football and we are talking about when they was far more clubs capable of competing for trophies than their is today .

they was no sheikhs or sugar daddies around bankrolling clubs and trying to buy trophies like your chelseas and man citys of this world .

Russell Osman, Kenny Hibbert, Phil neal, not great players I'll grant you, but managers?

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    jesus the buses dont run where you live do they .

65- 75 leeds were easily the most dominant force in english football and we are talking about when they was far more clubs capable of competing for trophies than their is today .

they was no sheikhs or sugar daddies around bankrolling clubs and trying to buy trophies like your chelseas and man citys of this world .
    I think you should stick to the fishing in Merthyr.

2 league titles in that period. Hardly dominated English Football. 2nd a lot. Bottlers?

Bryan Robson.

I think you should stick to the fishing in Merthyr.

2 league titles in that period. Hardly dominated English Football. 2nd a lot. Bottlers?
    yes i agree they should have won far more than what they did

but their consistency level was unbelievable chasing four trophies every season , anybody who was around in that era will tell you the same, they was hated by many, but they were unquestionably the dogs bollocks of that era.

Radio Wales listeners I give you Kevin Radcliffe.
    I tell you what - a shite pundit as well.

well theirs a surprise

forest did not dominate english football nowhere near as long as revies leeds .

they had a 3-4 year period of success, leeds had ten years
    Leeds didn't dominate for 10 years. They had a 10 year spell where they won 2 league titles, a league cup, an FA cup and a mickey mouse european trophy. The rest of the time they were nearly men. 1975 against Bayern springs to mind.
    For what it worth, my old man was Leeds through and though and he used to take me to Elland Road a few times every season during the 70s. I got to see all of them great players play. Infact I've probably been to Elland Road more times than you have

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Joe Mercer, Bill Shankley, Matt Busby, Don Revie, Roy Race, all decent players and decent managers, especially Roy Race, he won the lot as both player and manager, kidnapped a few times as well.
    Brilliant

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Leeds didn't dominate for 10 years. They had a 10 year spell where they won 2 league titles, a league cup, an FA cup and a mickey mouse european trophy. The rest of the time they were nearly men. 1975 against Bayern springs to mind.
    For what it worth, my old man was Leeds through and though and he used to take me to Elland Road a few times every season during the 70s. I got to see all of them great players play. Infact I've probably been to Elland Road more times than you have
    what a load of crap

in a four year period forest won 1 league title, 2 european cups and 3 league cups,then faded away into obscurity before appearing in an fa cup final losing to spurs in 91.

leeds in a ten year period, won two league titles, finished runners up 5 times in the league, twice on goal difference, won 1 fa cup, lost in 3 other fa cup finals, won 1 league cup, they also also appeared in 6 european finals winning the uefa cup twice, and were cheated out of winning both the european cup and cup winners cup final by bent referees which was subsequently proven years later

they also never finished out of the top four for ten years , in an era where plenty of teams were competing for trophies

the difference is great sides compete at the top level consistently over a long period of time , the revie side is legendary . cloughs forest side even though it was successful was nowhere near as good or performed at the top level as long as revies leeds did

what a load of crap

in a four year period forest won 1 league title, 2 european cups and 3 league cups,then faded away into obscurity before appearing in an fa cup final losing to spurs in 91.

leeds in a ten year period, won two league titles, finished runners up 5 times in the league, twice on goal difference, won 1 fa cup, lost in 3 other fa cup finals, won 1 league cup, they also also appeared in 6 european finals winning the uefa cup twice, and were cheated out of winning both the european cup and cup winners cup final by bent referees which was subsequently proven years later

they also never finished out of the top four for ten years , in an era where plenty of teams were competing for trophies

the difference is great sides compete at the top level consistently over a long period of time , the revie side is legendary . cloughs forest side even though it was successful was nowhere near as good or performed at the top level as long as revies leeds did
    you do *NOT* shoot an unarmed child in the back of the head it is just not on you twat.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    you do *NOT* shoot an unarmed child in the back of the head it is just not on you twat.
    there is too many dummies on here who do not know football history , its hardly surprising supporting cardiff city, they have not got any

go on then you fruity handjob tell us all about football. can you explain the offside rule? no of course you cant because you are an armchair murderer.

Rubbish

Leeds have never dominated English football.

Neither have Forest. Though they did win the European Cup twice in a row I believe.

Liverpool , Man U have both dominated English Football.

Leeds of the 70s were well before my time. But im sure they only one the league once in that era.
    Sorry mate, no time to Leeds but they were a great side over a long period of time, you had to see them to appreciate that. But you were too young, you can't leaf through record books to judge a great team.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    Sorry mate, no time to Leeds but they were a great side over a long period of time, you had to see them to appreciate that. But you were too young, you can't leaf through record books to judge a great team.
    well said pal educate the peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Silures View Post
    Zidane is doing a decent job at Madrid, and was one hell of a player. Pep guardiola was a decent player and decent manager, Luis Enrique. Your are right though, not many top players make top managers
    I don't count players who walk into jobs with top clubs.
    Example - My granny could win he SPL with Celtic.:thumb-up
    Could Zidane do a good job with Birmingham ?

Quote Originally Posted by Something Blue View Post
    Russell Osman, Kenny Hibbert, Phil neal, not great players I'll grant you, but managers?
    And they all managed Cardiff in the space of about 5 weeks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Reading the Zola thread has got me thinking.

In terms of the disparity between playing and managing, has it ever been greater than Zola?

An absolutely sumptuous player but seemingly not cut out for the dugout.

In terms of top class players who then go on to coach/manage, is there anyone that can compare to Gianfranco?

On the same topic, are there any great players who go on to become great managers?

Apart from OGS of course.
    Don't think Zola did bad at West Ham and he got Watford to a Play Off Final - of those mentioned in this thread, Bobby Charlton, Peter Shilton and John Barnes were worse managers than Zola, Chris Waddle was a disaster at Burnley as well.

Bryan robson springs to mind. Captain Marvel in his playing days. Not so Marvellous a manager.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai View Post
    I don't count players who walk into jobs with top clubs.
    Example - My granny could win he SPL with Celtic.:thumb-up
    Could Zidane do a good job with Birmingham ?
    Which is why my vote was for John Barnes.

Mark Hughes and Steve Bruce both gone on to be decent managers
    Roy Keane great player bad manager
    Gary speed given what he did for us great player and manager

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned John Charles.

I didn't think much of Bryan Robson as a player or manager. His ability and effectiveness was vastly over inflated because he played for Man Utd and England.

Can I add Kevin Ratcliffe?