+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great player, shite manager

Great player, shite manager

Reading the Zola thread has got me thinking.

In terms of the disparity between playing and managing, has it ever been greater than Zola?

An absolutely sumptuous player but seemingly not cut out for the dugout.

In terms of top class players who then go on to coach/manage, is there anyone that can compare to Gianfranco?

On the same topic, are there any great players who go on to become great managers?

Apart from OGS of course.

Re: Great player, shite manager

Zidane is doing a decent job at Madrid, and was one hell of a player. Pep guardiola was a decent player and decent manager, Luis Enrique. Your are right though, not many top players make top managers

Cruyff?

Russel Slade had an illustrious career playing for Compton Comprehensive School under 13s then went onto be a one man wrecking ball manager at Leyton Orient, Cardiff City, Charlton and finally Coventry City.

Bobby Robson.
    Dino Zoff.
    John Toshack.

Deleted by Vindec.
    Last edited by Vindec; 10-03-17 at 11:34.

Cruyff is definitely the stand out man who was a top top player and a revolutionary as a manager

The greatest of all, as a player then a manager, was probably Brian Clough.

Greatest disparity, I give you John Barnes.

Best of both, Beckenbauer.

Conte was a top player for Juve

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Greatest disparity, I give you John Barnes.

Best of both, Beckenbauer.
    Ian rush must be up there in the disparity category.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Ian rush must be up there in the disparity category.
    And Shilton.

I'm going to remind folks of two of my footballing heroes - Ron Saunders and Tony Barton.

Both played for Pompey - Ron was a 30+ goal-a-season striker; Tony, a tricky right winger. Both went on to manage Villa. Ron won the old 1st Division championship; Tony, the European and UEFA Super cups.

jack charlton and don revie .

internationally - the kaiser franz beckenbauer.

Bobby Charlton had a go with Preston and was sh!te I recall.

Can't really argue with Brian Clough TBH.
    Mediocre players playing for him and the team winning the EC back in those days is some achievement.

Not downgrading modern day managers but with the top clubs it is so much more than down to the one man managing and the systems, stats available these days help enormously.

Clough might not be the best footballer cum manager but he would definitely be in the top one

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Mediocre players playing for him and the team winning the EC back in those days is some achievement.

Not downgrading modern day managers but with the top clubs it is so much more than down to the one man managing and the systems, stats available these days help enormously.

Clough might not be the best footballer cum manager but he would definitely be in the top one
    if you remember it was clough and taylor, they were like a double act, without taylor alongside him clough failed miserably every time.

clough was a great manager and achieved great things , but the longevity of his success was only two or three years at both forest and derby.

Clough was a great manager and a good player so he's up there but Cruyff stands out for me. An innovator as a player and a manager. Ancelotti, Dalglish and Beckenbauer weren't bad either.

Another to mention is Mario Zagallo. Wouldn't put him above Cruyff, but he won the World Cup in 58 and 62, then managed the team in 70 and assistant managed the win in 94.

Can't be many people with four World Cup winning medals.

Joe Mercer, Bill Shankley, Matt Busby, Don Revie, Roy Race, all decent players and decent managers, especially Roy Race, he won the lot as both player and manager, kidnapped a few times as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chris View Post
    if you remember it was clough and taylor, they were like a double act, without taylor alongside him clough failed miserably every time.

clough was a great manager and achieved great things , but the longevity of his success was only two or three years at both forest and derby.
    Are you trying to tell me that Brian Clough would not have been half the centre forward if it wasn't for Peter Taylor?

From the modern era I think you can add Ronald Koeman to that list.
    Possibly the next Barca manager.

Are you trying to tell me that Brian Clough would not have been half the centre forward if it wasn't for Peter Taylor?
    no i am on about is managerial career , clough was a great player and represented england twice.

his success as a manager was unquestionable even though it was in short bursts at forest and derby but taylor was an integral part of it.

revie had six england caps, but is managerial career at leeds spanned far longer where he built a dynasty. with an unfashionable club at the time much like clough did , and turned them in to one of the most feared and respected teams at home and abroad for nearly a decade
    Last edited by chris; 10-03-17 at 18:14.

no i am on about is managerial career , clough was a great player and represented england twice.

his success as a manager was unquestionable even though it was in short bursts at forest and derby but taylor was an integral part of it.

revie had six england caps, but is managerial career at leeds spanned far longer where he built a dynasty. with an unfashionable club at the time much like clough did , and turned them in to one of the most feared and respected teams at home and abroad for nearly a decade
    Personally I think Clough's (and Taylor's) record and achievements at Forest is superior to that of Revie's.

Clough was at Forest longer than Revie was at Leeds and, similarly to Revie, built a club to become arguably one of the best side of its time. And he did all this with out fixing matches

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Personally I think Clough's (and Taylor's) record and achievements at Forest is superior to that of Revie's.

Clough was at Forest longer than Revie was at Leeds and, similarly to Revie, built a club to become arguably one of the best side of its time. And he did all this with out fixing matches
    well theirs a surprise

forest did not dominate english football nowhere near as long as revies leeds .

they had a 3-4 year period of success, leeds had ten years
    Last edited by chris; 10-03-17 at 18:49.

well theirs a surprise

forest did not dominate english football nowhere near as long as revies leeds .

they had a 3-4 year period of success, leeds had ten years
    Rubbish

Leeds have never dominated English football.

Neither have Forest. Though they did win the European Cup twice in a row I believe.

Liverpool , Man U have both dominated English Football.

Leeds of the 70s were well before my time. But im sure they only one the league once in that era.