+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Greg Halford: Defender's career nearly ended by injury before joining Cardiff

Greg Halford: Defender's career nearly ended by injury before joining Cardiff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39237807

Greg Halford says his career was nearly ended by injury before he joined Cardiff City in January and that "most people would have failed the medical".

The utility man was manager Neil Warnock's first signing of 2017 but has only completed the full 90 minutes on two occasions having arrived whilst still recovering from an Achilles problem suffered playing for Rotherham in November.

"I was out for a month and I probably came back a bit too early," Halford said. "It could have been career ending.

"I'm still getting over it now but every day I feel stronger I feel fitter and hopefully I can just keep on going.

"To be honest I don't want the season to end because I just feel like getting to that fitness where I need to be.

"I'm sort of playing still with a ruptured ligament in my ankle so it's hindering so I'm probably playing at 70, 75% at the minute.

"It's getting better and everyday it gets stronger and I get stronger."

Knowing the coaches

The 32 year old played under Warnock at Rotherham last season and assistant Boss Kevin Blackwell was his manager when he was at Sheffield United in 2008-09.

The former Wolves and Nottingham Forest defender believes he has both of them to thank for forcing the move through.

"The medical staff have been great with me because to be fair most people would have failed the medical but they [Warnock and Blackwell] knew what I could bring to the team.

"They knew it wouldn't take that long to get me ready so I'm grateful and thankful for their perseverance with me."

Jack of all trades master of none

Since arriving at the Bluebirds, Halford has played in a number of different positions including full back, central defence and central midfield as he had done throughout his career.

He admits he has regrets with his utility man tag and that he doesn't still know what his preferred position is.

"I get asked this question a lot," Halford added.

"Three, four, five years ago I'd have given you a definite answer but now I don't know.

"Throughout my career I've changed positions, every manager has had a different opinion whether that has been across the back four, across the midfield or up top.

"I was a sub goalkeeper for Kevin Blackwell at Sheffield United. I can't give you a definite answer because I really don't know my best position.

"Playing so many games throughout my career, all the positions I've played are pretty well spread out.

"I feel like I can do an adequate job in all of them.

"It's definitely hindered me, it's the old saying 'Jack of all trades master of none'.

"I never got to master one and if I did get to master one then I could have gone a lot further."

Re: Greg Halford: Defender's career nearly ended by injury before joining Cardiff

Not quite sure what to make of any of what he says here.