+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Indyref 2

Re: Indyref 2

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    OK ;) But I'd politely suggest that - at this time - a completely united Ireland - complicit in 'joining' the remainder of the UK - without Scotland - is one hell of an hypothesis!
    No this would be a union of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales to make a Celtic nation.

The population would be 15m ish, just over a quarter that of England with 50% more land to knock about in.

There would be a Welsh Independence referendum long before they considered one uniting Ireland

Not due to popular demand, but because of the inevitable shit that would go down in the Irish Unification campaign, someone said Theresa May doesn't care if she broke up the union, but I don't think she'd want that and potentially restarting the Troubles on her CV

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Nah, the whole lot.
    Erm..... I don't think so 😃

The recent election in Northern Ireland seemed to suggest there has been a shift in the age old demographic of the Protestants vote being the majority and therefore continuously returning Unionsits.
    However, Id stay well clear of any reunification talk for a long time, as somebody above said the Troubles would be back sadly with the loyalists feeling they had been sold out.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    The recent election in Northern Ireland seemed to suggest there has been a shift in the age old demographic of the Protestants vote being the majority and therefore continuously returning Unionsits.
    However, Id stay well clear of any reunification talk for a long time, as somebody above said the Troubles would be back sadly with the loyalists feeling they had been sold out.
    Yeah the demographic shift has been entirely foreseeable for the last few decades. This more than anything else has brought about an end to violence, as there isn't any point, they just have to play the waiting game.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    Of course, my scenario would still allow Northern Ireland to keep links with Scotland to satisfy the unionists and takes Westminster out of the equation to make that more palatable to the republicans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Revenge of the Sturgeon.
    Coming soon to a country near you.

Out of interest, if Scotland left and then teamed up with Ireland to form a Celtic nation, and extended the invitation to Wales, would you stay as part of England or join the new nation, let's call it Albion.
    God no, I'm a proud British person and wish to remain so, in or out of Europe.

There is no finer island, and the Scots should be grateful to be part of that institution which is so admired , trusted and respected around the world.

If the SNP gets independence it would a very sad moment for the UK and a very dangerous risk for the Scottish people, the SNP is using emotional blackmail to extend its power base, it almost like a dictatorship is being formed to ensure there is no future opposition or choice ,very worrying ??

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    There would be a Welsh Independence referendum long before they considered one uniting Ireland

Not due to popular demand, but because of the inevitable shit that would go down in the Irish Unification campaign, someone said Theresa May doesn't care if she broke up the union, but I don't think she'd want that and potentially restarting the Troubles on her CV
    She doesn't give a shit about Scotland or Sturgeons feet stomping. People are saying its inevitable that they leave but like last time as soon as the big questions come along regarding the economy/currency, the SNP have nothing of note to say.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    God no, I'm a proud British person and wish to remain so, in or out of Europe.

There is no finer island, and the Scots should be grateful to be part of that institution which is so admired , trusted and respected around the world.

If the SNP gets independence it would a very sad moment for the UK and a very dangerous risk for the Scottish people, the SNP is using emotional blackmail to extend its power base, it almost like a dictatorship is being formed to ensure there is no future opposition or choice ,very worrying ??
    What a load of rubbish