+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nicola Sturgeon

Re: Nicola Sturgeon

It's very simplistic to me. Personally I'm all for Brexit, and would like the Scots to stay in the union, but if enough of them want to go it alone, then so be it.
    Must admit though, I don't follow the logic of wanting to be independent, then scuppering it by becoming answerable in almost every aspect of life, to Brussels.
    Last edited by William Treseder; 18-03-17 at 12:10. Reason: Spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    It's very simplistic to me. Personally I'm all for Brexit, and would like the Scots to stay in the union, but if enough of them want to go it alone, then so be it.
    Must admit though, I don't follow the logic of wanting to be independent, then scuppering it by becoming answerable in almost every aspect of life, to Brussels.
    Interesting question - which is more important to you? Brexit or keeping the union together?

Open question, not just aimed at William.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Interesting question - which is more important to you? Brexit or keeping the union together?

Neither - an independent Wales as soon as possible!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post

Looking at Wales in terms of being a part of the EU and/or being a part of the UK, we have little real say or influence in either, we're unlikely to ever affect the results of any referendum or election. The Welsh Government has some powers and authority, though the big stuff is still controlled by Westminster and is mainly decided on by English MPs. That remains whether we are in the EU or not. An independent Wales would have more autonomy; despite some pictures painted by others, the UK currently doesn't have to bend over backwards for the EU, neither are most laws observed by the UK from the EU, so Wales free of the UK would be able to govern itself more than it is able to currently. I've seen arguments from people who have less confidence in Welsh politicians than they do those in Westminster.

If Wales were a part of the EU but not the UK (or England as it would effectively be after Scotland and Northern Ireland had left), trade with England might be subject to tariffs, which would undoubtedly affect us. Would we be better off with free trade with Europe or England? Would there be a border? Freedom of movement between Wales and England to work and study? Wales would have to accept EU nationals working in Wales, though this overall has great economic benefits.

Economically Wales has been hugely reliant on both the UK and Europe. Not being in the EU will hurt Wales financially; being a part of the EU but not a part of the UK would hurt us, probably more, though EU subsidies would probably increase, whereas the current government have ruled out replacing EU money lost in Wales. Infrastructure in Wales has grown more through EU funding, not UK government funding.

That doesn't scratch the surface, but it's an interesting debate.

For me, if Scotland and Northern Ireland leave the UK, Wales should do so as well, or it might as well be another county of England.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Looking at Wales in terms of being a part of the EU and/or being a part of the UK, we have little real say or influence in either, we're unlikely to ever affect the results of any referendum or election. The Welsh Government has some powers and authority, though the big stuff is still controlled by Westminster and is mainly decided on by English MPs. That remains whether we are in the EU or not. An independent Wales would have more autonomy; despite some pictures painted by others, the UK currently doesn't have to bend over backwards for the EU, neither are most laws observed by the UK from the EU, so Wales free of the UK would be able to govern itself more than it is able to currently. I've seen arguments from people who have less confidence in Welsh politicians than they do those in Westminster.

If Wales were a part of the EU but not the UK (or England as it would effectively be after Scotland and Northern Ireland had left), trade with England might be subject to tariffs, which would undoubtedly affect us. Would we be better off with free trade with Europe or England? Would there be a border? Freedom of movement between Wales and England to work and study? Wales would have to accept EU nationals working in Wales, though this overall has great economic benefits.

Economically Wales has been hugely reliant on both the UK and Europe. Not being in the EU will hurt Wales financially; being a part of the EU but not a part of the UK would hurt us, probably more, though EU subsidies would probably increase, whereas the current government have ruled out replacing EU money lost in Wales. Infrastructure in Wales has grown more through EU funding, not UK government funding.

That doesn't scratch the surface, but it's an interesting debate.

For me, if Scotland and Northern Ireland leave the UK, Wales should do so as well, or it might as well be another county of England.
    That is basically a good summary of the potential situation if it arises. The thought of the UK splitting up altogether is mind blowing.
    I take it our football teams would have to ply their trade at home? Would there be 2/3 border patrols? Would we all have separate armed forces?