+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An Independent Wales?

Re: An Independent Wales?

it would give cardiff a chance to win a few trophies for a change , cardiff and swansea vying for the title every season with the might of wrexham and newport closing in if they slipped up .

not to mention the possibility of european football , what a money spinner for tan, he would be creaming himself at the prospect of barcelona or bayern turning up at the ccs, they might actually get to sell some tickets instead of giving them away the only downside would be the following fixture would probably be a trip to carnmarthen or bangor on a wet tuesday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The benefit of the 'industrial might' is probably outweighed by the overall subsidy received by Wales.
    Nothing to stop us becoming the Singapore of the West. They had zero national resources, not even water!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Industrial might ?
    10th out of 12 of UK regions for income generated.

Subsidised to the tune of £8 billion per annum by English government.

Fingers crossed the Scots don't choke again if they get a second chance at independence. Could be very lucrative for us

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    Youngsters of today like england more and more. That is a fact.

I've spent more time in england than north, west or east wales.

The only time I hear real anti english hatred is those sad old people that sit at the bar all day every day.

+ Wales would be bankrupt within a month of independence. But I doubt you'd care about that.
    Wales will be bankrupt within a month of leaving the EU, but I doubt you'd care about that.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    It is telling that supposedly we are being ruled by complete tyrants, then that flooded town is always dragged up.

Of travesties against the human race in the past 60-70 years that'll be around the bottom.
    So it's OK because other countries have committed worse atrocities elsewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Nothing to stop us becoming the Singapore of the West. They had zero national resources, not even water!
    Singapore is a major hub in SE Asia and some sources quote that 40% of the world's trade passes through the Malacca Strait.
    It is hugely important in the shipping world. Like Barry I suppose.

Wales becoming independent would be even dafter than Scotland going the same way and that's saying something. Of course the economically illiterate might think it's a good idea but Wales has no currency, no significant industry (with respect to an earlier poster) and no banking system. And forget about joining the EU - that will never happen as the Welsh economy is a basket case wholly reliant on subsidies from England and will never ever meet the EU joining criteria. As for water it is my understanding that those reservoirs that service England were built with English money such as those in the Elan Valley which were built by the City of Birmingham.

Yeah right, Wales is one of the biggest drains on the UK economy. Maybe if Wales became independent we can join the EU and be a drain that instead. Oh hang on, the geniuses in our country voted out so that ain't gunna happen

I don't think it is a viable proposition unfortunately. I doubt that the OP was really looking to raise serious debate.

I did a calculation with the Brexit vote a little while ago, not that the issue is important for the information I was looking for. I discovered that if England had voted 59% for one outcome, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could all have voted 100% for the other outcome and lost. That means that, in a referendum, if England wants something enough, there's nothing the rest of us can do.

I also remember Feedback mentioning once that if you combined the seats won in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, they have never made any difference to the result in a general election.

Democracy.

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post
    Yes please and it cant come soon enough after Scotland do the right thing It's only the royal worshipping 'we won't manage' brigade standing in its way. ASAP please!!!!

It's time for change and for Wales to release itself from Westminster for good
    Lets hope we do not have to wait as long as the decision for the M4 relief road.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    I did a calculation with the Brexit vote a little while ago, not that the issue is important for the information I was looking for. I discovered that if England had voted 59% for one outcome, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could all have voted 100% for the other outcome and lost. That means that, in a referendum, if England wants something enough, there's nothing the rest of us can do.

I also remember Feedback mentioning once that if you combined the seats won in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, they have never made any difference to the result in a general election.

Democracy.
    So should areas of the UK with small populations have disproportionately weighted votes?

An independent Wales?
    No thanks!

We could make a bigger deal of our history and heritage and become a tourist destination, that might generate a decent income. There are more castles per square mile in Wales than anywhere in Western Europe.

So should areas of the UK with small populations have disproportionately weighted votes?
    Should each country have equal say in what is supposed to be a union?

It's not going to happen. Mind you if the manifesto for it said they'd ban rugby and BBC Wales I might reconsider my vote.

Should each country have equal say in what is supposed to be a union?
    Northern Ireland's 1.9 million people having the same weight as England's 54.8 million?
    A vote in Belfast being worth 29 times that of a vote in Bristol?
    Yeah, that makes sense, doesn't it?

Northern Ireland's 1.9 million people having the same weight as England's 54.8 million?
    Yeah, that makes sense, doesn't it?
    So the next question is, should we just put up with having little real say overall?

So the next question is, should we just put up with having little real say overall?
    Yes. Or leave the union.

Yes. Or leave the union.
    In a nutshell. Continue to be England's shit stain or not.

Welshmen vote Tory, UKIP, and even Brexit these days.
    Seems most are happy to be ruled over by the English, and take hand outs from Westminster, they're even OK with an English (reject) player captaining their football team.
    Sad.

In a nutshell. Continue to be England's shit stain or not.
    Do you think that the SW part of England (i.e. west of Bath) with a similar size population has any greater say?
    Last edited by Taunton Blue Genie; 15-03-17 at 21:54.

The argument of "Wales would fail if it become independent" never ceases to amaze me seeing as its been failing for years and has been continually let down by UK governments

The fact that the poorest parts of Wales qualify for EU funding is a damning indictment on Westminster's inability to govern anywhere outside the south of England, we deserve better than this and I can't think of anyone better placed to do what's best for the Welsh than the Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    The argument of "Wales would fail if it become independent" never ceases to amaze me seeing as its been failing for years and has been continually let down by UK governments

The fact that the poorest parts of Wales qualify for EU funding is a damning indictment on Westminster's inability to govern anywhere outside the south of England, we deserve better than this and I can't think of anyone better placed to do what's best for the Welsh than the Welsh
    Nicely said.

Do you think that the SW part of England (i.e. west of Bath) with a similar size population has any greater say?
    This argument only applies if you believe the outh West to be a potential country in its own right and not part of England.

They are represented by ENGLAND with which they identify.