+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Repair Kits in place of a spare tyre

Tyre Repair Kits in place of a spare tyre

WTF!!!!!

Had a puncture 2 nights ago, managed to get over the original Severn Bridge, then had to pull over, i thought i would be putting on a space saver only to be confronted by one of these contraptions, never worked, £118.0 for a tow down to Magor, £110 for a mobile Tyre man to fix it, jacked in AA when getting Ford assist, only to be told, do not cover punctures.

Re: Tyre Repair Kits in place of a spare tyre

Can't see the point in these. A spare tyre hardly costs a fortune. Why have a poxy repair kit instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Can't see the point in these. A spare tyre hardly costs a fortune. Why have a poxy repair kit instead?
    what sort of gear do you carry around in order to change a trye on a car??

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post

TBH i was more annoyed with myself for falling for the Ford salesman's patter regarding Ford Assist, I never usually buy these products from dealers, but being faced with the return to Yate each day felt i needed good cover if anything went wrong bought into their 3 year service plan as well, Never again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    what sort of gear do you carry around in order to change a trye on a car??
    Forget a repair.I would want to put the spare on and then drive to SlowFit and get a new tyre fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    WTF!!!!!

Had a puncture 2 nights ago, managed to get over the original Severn Bridge, then had to pull over, i thought i would be putting on a space saver only to be confronted by one of these contraptions, never worked, £118.0 for a tow down to Magor, £110 for a mobile Tyre man to fix it, jacked in AA when getting Ford assist, only to be told, do not cover punctures.

Chris, get down scrappies and get a complete wheel & tyre.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Chris, get down scrappies and get a complete wheel & tyre.
    There wont be anywhere for it to go . The boot will be flat.

Its not the cost of the spare wheel its the cost of dragging it around with you fuel wise.

Is it a case the car should have run flats on it?

Take out a cheap breakdown cover with the AA or the RAC or give me a ring and I will send someone out

I have a friend who had a similar problem to you and I immediately ordered a space-saver wheel for my Honda because I didn’t fancy having the same problem myself! (Like you, his and my car only had the aerosol kit). The new wheel/tyre cost about £50 inc p&p from

https://www.thewheelshop.co.uk/space-saver-wheels

The genuine Honda spare space-saver wheel would have cost me £150!

Give the Wheel Shop guys a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    I have a friend who had a similar problem to you and I immediately ordered a space-saver wheel for my Honda because I didn’t fancy having the same problem myself! (Like you, his and my car only had the aerosol kit). The new wheel/tyre cost about £50 inc p&p from

Make sure you've got a jack (not an Abertawe Town fan) as well mind.

And get a decent telescopic wheel wrench, no point having the wheel if you can't get the nuts off. (s******)

The irony was that my new Honda had a jack and wheel wrench all the time but I didn't think to check because it had the infamous aerosol kit! The former items were hidden in a recess under the floor of the boot. The double irony was that the Wheel Shop sent me a scissors jack by mistake along with the spare wheel! I rang them back to tell them but they told me to keep it as it would cost too much to send it back. Hence I now have a spare car jack as well.

The irony was that my new Honda had a jack and wheel wrench all the time but I didn't think to check because it had the infamous aerosol kit! The former items were hidden in a recess under the floor of the boot. The double irony was that the Wheel Shop sent me a scissors jack by mistake along with the spare wheel! I rang them back to tell them but they told me to keep it as it would cost too much to send it back. Hence I now have a spare car jack as well.

Have you got to carry it around in the boot, or can you buy a kit (as with my Zafira), whereby you can put the spare underneath

I briefly had a Honda, and found that underneath the boot floor was a further storage unit which could take a SpaceSaver spare, but was empty - just extra storage. The car was supplied with the gunk and an inflator.
    I looked at getting a SpaceSaver - it was available under £100 online as I recall.
    I would definitely have got one if I was doing any distance in the car, and if I had had it for longer.

Just a little bit of advice Chris, don't bother with those aerosol repair kits unless you want a face full of white stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Just a little bit of advice Chris, don't bother with those aerosol repair kits unless you want a face full of white stuff.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr :fingers:

They are crap.
    First time I used one it took over half an hour. Quicker 2nd time, but a tyre change only takes 10 minutes ( if you keep the locking wheel nut safe and if your drive isn't on a slope so the car slips off the jack :doh: ).

Anyway I know that if I get a puncture these days it's best just to call Jimmy who will be around with a new car in 5 minutes 😉

Don't Ford Focus' come with run flat tyres?

CAR tyres painted white and wrapped in green tarpaulin sheets make ideal packets of Polos for short sighted giants.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    They are crap.
    First time I used one it took over half an hour. Quicker 2nd time, but a tyre change only takes 10 minutes ( if you keep the locking wheel nut safe and if your drive isn't on a slope so the car slips off the jack :doh: ).

Anyway I know that if I get a puncture these days it's best just to call Jimmy who will be around with a new car in 5 minutes ��
    And a bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    And a bottle of Dom Perignon Champagne.
    But of course. A puncture or any mishap with your car should be a pleasurable experience not a chore.

Ive used one of these a couple of times
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pride-Quick...ords=tyre+foam

Ordered space saver from these

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr :fingers:
    I heard you had a face like a plasterers radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I heard you had a face like a plasterers radio.
    I'm hurt