+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lots of bitter England fans peeved about Woodburn's call up

Lots of bitter England fans peeved about Woodburn's call up

Check out the comments

"He's English born, raised in England by English parents... he's English. Just obviously has an inadequate grandfather who is so insecure he pushed representing Wales on him as it helps his own insecurities. Pathetic really.
    International footballers should play for the country of their birth or that they were raised in - otherwise it's not international football it's a poor mans club football."

"Has anyone thought Woodburn may be looking at this and thinking "Mmmm if I represent Wails I'm going to get more time off in future summers instead of traveling to tournaments with England" Just a thought."

Re: Lots of bitter England fans peeved about Woodburn's call up

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Check out the comments

"He's English born, raised in England by English parents... he's English. Just obviously has an inadequate grandfather who is so insecure he pushed representing Wales on him as it helps his own insecurities. Pathetic really.
    International footballers should play for the country of their birth or that they were raised in - otherwise it's not international football it's a poor mans club football."

"Has anyone thought Woodburn may be looking at this and thinking "Mmmm if I represent Wails I'm going to get more time off in future summers instead of traveling to tournaments with England" Just a thought."
    I struggle to understand the mentality of a player playing for a country where only one grandfather was born, i mean neither he or both of his parents were born in Wales.

When i was a child i grew up wanting to represent my country, i used to pretend i was Ian Rush playing football.

I can accept that as a footballer you can feel part of the team, and being in the Welsh set-up for so long he feels part of it, but still im my opinion that couldn't effect my final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I struggle to understand the mentality of a player playing for a country where only one grandfather was born, i mean neither he or both of his parents were born in Wales.

When i was a child i grew up wanting to represent my country, i used to pretend i was Ian Rush playing football.

I can accept that as a footballer you can feel part of the team, and being in the Welsh set-up for so long he feels part of it, but still im my opinion that couldn't effect my final decision.

I believe that his father is a keen Wales supporter so that will undoubtedly have had an influence on him growing up & his Liverpool squad number (58) would appear to give a big hint as to where loyalties well & truly lie.

Woodburn clearly feels Welsh & is happy in our system and I am really pleased that this is the case with one of the most exciting young talents in Britain. The attached article gives some background about how we treat our young players in Wales which is really good to see:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/r...-teen-12749801

Wonder what our most notorious Welsh fan thinks about it.

Clearly the lad's ambitious and wants to play for the nation with the higher FIFA ranking

Interesting article from This is Anfield which endorses Ben Woodburn playing for Wales as opposed to England. Also a few positive comments about Harry Wilson - I wonder if he could be a loan option for us next season or maybe Klopp has bigger plans for him?

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/03...wales-england/

It's getting to the point now, where the song will go:-----

Who put the ball in the Ingurlish net

Arfur, Arfur

Who put the ball in the Ingurlish net

Arfur f ucking Ingurlund

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Check out the comments

Dreadful language , I could never image a Welsh fan being so blinkered in view, if this happened in reverse .

Raheem Sterling - born in Jamaica , both parents Jamaican

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    Raheem Sterling - born in Jamaica , both parents Jamaican
    Moved here at 5, same sort of story as Robert Earnshaw. Its easier to understand that choice thought because they have spent all their formative years in the country, and its all they know.

If Woodburn feels closer to Wales than he does to England, who are we to say he can't play for Wales? (and vice versa)

I, for one, am delighted that he's picked Wales and I hope he can go on to fulfil his potential

Moved here at 5, same sort of story as Robert Earnshaw. Its easier to understand that choice thought because they have spent all their formative years in the country, and its all they know.
    He's grown up a few miles from the border, and may feel Welsh. Woodburn could probably have chosen to play for England or Wales and he's chosen us. It's entirely his call and I don't think anyone would hold it against him if he was in two minds and wanted to wait. He's a young lad and I wish him all the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    He's grown up a few miles from the border, and may feel Welsh. Woodburn could probably have chosen to play for England or Wales and he's chosen us. It's entirely his call and I don't think anyone would hold it against him if he was in two minds and wanted to wait. He's a young lad and I wish him all the very best!
    Yes i accept that there might be a discrepancy in the border towns where people may be living as Welsh, but may have to be born in English hospitals.

Yes i accept that there might be a discrepancy in the border towns where people may be living as Welsh, but may have to be born in English hospitals.

Ya, then the cheeky barstewards come back over the border for their free prescriptions.

If he qualifies for Wales and England, and both countries want him, then if he choose Wales that's his decision. He's turned down a chance to play for England already, and he hasn't been a ball boy for them either
    It's when players aren't good enough for their own country, (and go looking for a dodgy grandparents birth certificate) and play for a 'second choice' country to satisfy their ego, then it's a problem.

for me, he has been with the Welsh setup right from the start, he feels Welsh, good on him

i have no issues with it, he has always set out to play for Wales

good enough for me

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    If Woodburn feels closer to Wales than he does to England, who are we to say he can't play for Wales? (and vice versa)

I, for one, am delighted that he's picked Wales and I hope he can go on to fulfil his potential
    Spot on

And here's Ingurland's new striker..

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...huania-matches

Dont get me wrong, I like the guy, and he will more than likely do a job for them in the short term, but you can see why the Ingurlish are slapping their gums on this one as there doesn't seem to be much back up to Kane in the way of youngsters and is a short term fix.

By the way, I believe JD's parents are West Indian but I guess he "feels" English so fair enough.
    Ditto Woodburn who has as much right to choose us.
    Good on you son and may this be the shape of things to come

In addition to where the player was born and brought up I always consider where they played youth football. For example, not so long ago, there was a Middlesborough full-back who played youth football for Wales all the way up until the senior side at which point he decided he was more Australian.

In the age of the internet you will always find bitter fans.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wonder what our most notorious Welsh fan thinks about it.
    I've got my jelly babies at the ready

England supporters can hardly complain. Just to look at the English cricket and rugby national teams. It seems young Ben has been influenced by his father. Great to have him on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I've got my jelly babies at the ready
    If you're talking about Grangetown Blue, he's already commented and it turns out he's fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    If he qualifies for Wales and England, and both countries want him, then if he choose Wales that's his decision. He's turned down a chance to play for England already, and he hasn't been a ball boy for them either
    It's when players aren't good enough for their own country, (and go looking for a dodgy grandparents birth certificate) and play for a 'second choice' country to satisfy their ego, then it's a problem.
    Have you seen England's centre backs over the past few years? Wiliams would have won plenty of caps had he decided to play for England.

Let the England fans bleat bless 'em but this international football today.

20 of the 24 teams in The Euros had players born outside the country they were representing.

Re: Lots of bitter England fans peeved bout Woodburn's call up

This suggests calling him up may not be sufficient to commit him to Wales. We'll need to get him on to seal it.

FIFA Eligibility Criteria. Article 5. Principle

With the exception of the conditions specified in article 8 below, any Player who has already participated in a match (either in full or in part) in an Official Competition of any category or any type of football for one Association may not play an international match for a representative team of another Association.