Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
I don't think I am determined to stay in the EU at any cost. But I am happy to stay (and hope to see reforms) on the basis of the current and anticipated future costs. I expect us to leave, though (but maybe not by the next deadline).

In the 1970s (if I had been old enough to vote) I would have probably voted against joining the EEC. A lot of people on the political left supported Brexit on the strength of their opposition four decades or more ago. They voted against the Bosses Club. But I agree with most on the left (and the TUC) that the EU has evolved to become a major protector of environmental and employment rights, and to potentially be a progressive bloc in a world where we have to work together to achieve anything good. It still has 1950-70s 'free market' anti-statism baked into its' DNA, but compared to the USA or Russia (and probably Brazil and India) it is a milder version.

The argument that constantly amazes me though is the one that talks about 'our' interests as if a shared culture of watching the Morecambe & Wise Christmas Special means that I have the same interests and values as Boris Johnson or Jacob Rees-Mogg! I have no common interest with them (and nor do many of the people who slavishly support them and their party). Even less Nigel Farage and his supposed non-racist UKIP creation. I feel more in common with public sector workers in Belgium or people in former steel cities in central Europe, or even with Spanish farmers, than I do with wealthy old-Etonians and proud former members of the Bullington Club! If my future is going to be directed by a Tory (or Christian Democrat) I would prefer, on balance, that it was Angela Merkel calling the shots rather than Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson!

That and an end to wars in Europe - which always seemed to me to be a genuine and powerful reason for European unity.

Welsh, British and European - sounds good to me.
Great post 👏👏