+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: about this new car tax in april

about this new car tax in april

Being in the market for a car I'm trying to figure this out;

Does it apply to second hand cars or only brand new cars?

I.e. if I buy a second hand car before april then I'd be on the current tax bracket - but if I buy the same second hand car but after april 1st would I be subject to the new tax rates?

Also - I've been told to avoid diesel cars altogether - is this sound advice?

Re: about this new car tax in april

I'm pretty sure it's only on new cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Banc Blue View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's only on new cars.
    Cheers, I thought the same but I can't find any definitive answers.

I've got a 4.2 engine and my car comes under the old rules.

Fair enough, cheers.

as someone who is likely to be doing some motorway miles- possibly 15 - 20k per year & given the govt's perspective on diesel - what are people's thoughts on going for diesel or petrol?

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Fair enough, cheers.

as someone who is likely to be doing some motorway miles- possibly 15 - 20k per year & given the govt's perspective on diesel - what are people's thoughts on going for diesel or petrol?
    always do what the goverment tell you.

Ideally you shouldn't buy a diesel car for environmental reasons but if you do decide to, then be aware that the Government will almost certainly use that reason to hammer you with a hefty road tax in the future. Perversely, revenues for the exchequer have already fallen quite significantly because car drivers have switched to lower polluting vehicles, so he has to claw that income back somehow. That’s what is really behind the new road tax changes. It seems it’s quite a complicated picture – see this article:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ut-uk-road-tax

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Ideally you shouldn't buy a diesel car for environmental reasons but if you do decide to, then be aware that the Government will almost certainly use that reason to hammer you with a hefty road tax in the future. Perversely, revenues for the exchequer have already fallen quite significantly because car drivers have switched to lower polluting vehicles, so he has to claw that income back somehow. That’s what is really behind the new road tax changes. It seems it’s quite a complicated picture – see this article:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-new...ut-uk-road-tax
    Cheers, it's a bit confusing as many diesel cars seem to have better fuel economies and lower emissions than petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot View Post
    Cheers, it's a bit confusing as many diesel cars seem to have better fuel economies and lower emissions than petrol.
    Published emmisions only. You only have to be behind a modern diesel putting its foot down to see massive clouds of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Published emmisions only. You only have to be behind a modern diesel putting its foot down to see massive clouds of black smoke coming out of the exhaust.
    Fair enough. I'm gonna try to avoid - I'd love to get a zero emissions car/hybrid if possible tbf.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Do you?

Bypass all the tax issues by leasing a car , it's the credit company's responsibility to tax the car 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Bypass all the tax issues by leasing a car , it's the credit company's responsibility to tax the car 
    Genuine question, do you have to buy your own insurance when you lease a car?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Genuine question, do you have to buy your own insurance when you lease a car?
    depends on the terms

for the one we had you did, but they did another one that you didnt, but i worked it out and it was going to cost us more than buying our own

If you mean normal car insurance then yes , you get it yourself as you normally would , your just not the registered owner , your the registered keeper. I'm sure there might be some leasing companies that do an all in package with insurance though.

It's also wise to get your own gap insurance too. Lot cheaper to get it yourself rather than the dealer.

I've never seen the appeal of leasing a car, I looked at the costs once and found the monthly fee was about the same as outright buying a car on finance.

I've never seen the appeal of leasing a car, I looked at the costs once and found the monthly fee was about the same as outright buying a car on finance.
    I'm sure it varies from car to car , but in my experience I'm paying £120 a month less than what it would have cost me to buy on finance with a similar deposit. As the dealer said to me "you won't have any equity in the car if u lease" but at £120 difference over 48 months , im willing to bet there won't be more equity in it than what I'm saving.

It doesnt work for everyone. Depends on the mileage and how expensive the car is to buy.
    We long term rent to companies and private individuals.
    We never provide insurances.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    Do you?
    No, clearly not.

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    Bypass all the tax issues by leasing a car , it's the credit company's responsibility to tax the car ��
    It is added to the lease/hire.