+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Off to Dublin

Off to Dublin

For the first time ever on Thursday.
    First stop a Guinness factory tour.
    Excited to trying it at its best after drinking it before City games over the last 16 years.

Oh then there's the football.

Happy days.

Re: Off to Dublin

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Excited to trying it at its best after drinking it before City games over the last 16 years.

Happy days.
    May see you there Nick, I'll be wearing Red. I'm confident for once too

It's a big day out for sure.
    Say hello on the day. With only 3.3k we should bump into each other at some point.

Going Wednesday, visit Kilmainham Gaol. Safe journey and keep Shane Long quiet.

I know there are loads of pubs in Dublin, BUT you gotta visit this one.

Great food and sing song. Cracking night out, away from the arseholes in Temple Bar.

http://www.brazenhead.com/

It's a big day out for sure.
    Say hello on the day. With only 3.3k we should bump into each other at some point.
    Think there's a few more than that going. There's nearly 30 of our group going and only 6 of us have tickets, with 2 of them in the Ireland end

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Great food and sing song. Cracking night out, away from the arseholes in Temple Bar.

I intend to spend as much time outside Temple Bar as I can so will definitely give this a try, thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Think there's a few more than that going. There's nearly 30 of our group going and only 6 of us have tickets, with 2 of them in the Ireland end
    I'm expecting 6k minimum to travel as lot's booked before knowing about the ticket situation

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    I'm expecting 6k minimum to travel as lot's booked before knowing about the ticket situation
    I think you might be right, only half of our group got tickets. Lots going for the craic.

Happy days.
    I was a little disappointed with the Guinness in Dublin. To me it tasted just the same as Guinness everywhere else. Maybe I was expecting too much. It's expensive too. Enjoy your trip.

See you there AA2.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Agree with you there. Great pub.

So jealous

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    I was a little disappointed with the Guinness in Dublin. To me it tasted just the same as Guinness everywhere else. Maybe I was expecting too much. It's expensive too. Enjoy your trip.
    It is the same as everywhere else, the statement that Guinness tastes different in Ireland is a myth. Why would a major product manufacturer that makes Guinness on large scales for import have variations in it's product.

The main reason that people feel they have to try Guinness when they go to Ireland, and they are enjoying the experience and the product, whereas they wouldn't be inclined to have Guinness at home.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    It is the same as everywhere else, the statement that Guinness tastes different in Ireland is a myth. Why would a major product manufacturer that makes Guinness on large scales for import have variations in it's product.

The main reason that people feel they have to try Guinness when they go to Ireland, and they are enjoying the experience and the product, whereas they wouldn't be inclined to have Guinness at home.
    The taste of beers varies with the water and hops used to brew it.

" Brewed under licence " versions of 1664 , Stella , Cobra etc are pale imitations of the originals and Guinness is the same.

The brew itself may be the same in Dublin and Dinas Powys but most bars in Eire take a huge amount of care in keeping it, and serving it perfectly. Often taking an agonising age to pour and settle . Order a 2nd straight away ;)

IME It does taste different 'over there' - for that reason and true, the whole experience adds to notion I'm also sure ;)

Can't wait to go back to the Wild West of Ireland and scoff seafood chowder, rough bread and get pissed on sweet Guinness listening to the local musicians. Magic.

Enjoy your trip people!

I'm leaving Bristol airport on Friday morning. Alas no tickets any of for our group. For the ticketless amongst us where are you heading to watch the game?

We are there for two nights and on Saturday we are going to watch the Leinster v Blues game. I'm not a big egg fan but it is something to do on Saturday!

Our mates from Dublin tend to drink Smithwicks rather than the Gun.

It's not bad either, a lot lighter, and easier on the arse!

^^ Aye Smithwicks is a cream ale - much like Caffreys or Beamish Red.
    Another thing that 'tastes better in Ireland' ;)

I seem to remember Guinness tried making a 'red' variant for a while. Can't have taken off

Enjoy. Hopefully a sea of red fans out there ready to make their voices heard and ready to enjoy a big three points.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DON View Post
    I'm leaving Bristol airport on Friday morning. Alas no tickets any of for our group. For the ticketless amongst us where are you heading to watch the game?

We are there for two nights and on Saturday we are going to watch the Leinster v Blues game. I'm not a big egg fan but it is something to do on Saturday!

Snap were doing the same, you'll spot us easily they'll be two of us watching the game and seven with their backs to the pitch drinking
    I can't wait to go into a bar and see the barman pour the Guinness with a Shamrock on the top, before telling him not to treat us like American tourists

Keep well away from Temple bar and Grafton street and find the real Irish pubs where the locals go is my advice

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue View Post
    Our mates from Dublin tend to drink Smithwicks rather than the Gun.

It's not bad either, a lot lighter, and easier on the arse!
    Ah that brings back happy memories, 1974 sat in Norris's bar on Slievekeale road Waterford, drinking Smithwicks and smoking sweet afton cigs, lovely pint.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Ah that brings back happy memories, 1974 sat in Norris's bar on Slievekeale road Waterford, drinking Smithwicks and smoking sweet afton cigs, lovely pint.
    Sounds great! .....Might try and re inact that this weekend!

Look out for the Dublin 'lads' mind you