+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Caught on the break again after one of our set pieces!

Caught on the break again after one of our set pieces!

It happened a few home games ago. We had a corner, they broke quickly and we had one final defender who was forced to move across to counter the threat; the ball was squared to an unmarked attacker who scored.

Almost the same thing happened today. A set play; we lost the ball; they broke at speed and outnumbered us and only McGregor's knee prevented a goal. Deja Vu.

After this, I checked out our positioning for corners. All their players were in or around their penalty area. We had one lone player around the halfway line and two on either side halfway between him and their penalty area. In theory there was adequate cover. What let us down was that one of those two players was sucked in when we lost the ball and this meant that when they broke on that side, we only had one defender who had to cope with two attackers.

I think Bamba realised what was happening and organised the cover differently later in the game for set pieces.

Re: Caught on the break again after one of our set pieces!

Barnsley done us a couple of times on the break

Banned

What does my head in is when we have a free kick on the halfway line and pass it backwards

I love Whitts to bits, BUT his free kicks and corners yesterday were woeful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy View Post
    What does my head in is when we have a free kick on the halfway line and pass it backwards
    Did it yesterday and it ended up as a rushed clearance from McGregor

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    It happened a few home games ago. We had a corner, they broke quickly and we had one final defender who was forced to move across to counter the threat; the ball was squared to an unmarked attacker who scored.

Almost the same thing happened today. A set play; we lost the ball; they broke at speed and outnumbered us and only McGregor's knee prevented a goal. Deja Vu.

After this, I checked out our positioning for corners. All their players were in or around their penalty area. We had one lone player around the halfway line and two on either side halfway between him and their penalty area. In theory there was adequate cover. What let us down was that one of those two players was sucked in when we lost the ball and this meant that when they broke on that side, we only had one defender who had to cope with two attackers.

I think Bamba realised what was happening and organised the cover differently later in the game for set pieces.

In my view Warnock was at least partly responsible for leaving us short of numbers for the counter attack you refer to. Kadeem was providing cover outside their area & just before the kick was taken Warnock shouted at him to get in the box which left us more vulnerable to their quick counter. I am not saying that having Kadeem sitting a little deeper would have stopped it but it would probably have helped to contain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    In my view Warnock was at least partly responsible for leaving us short of numbers for the counter attack you refer to. Kadeem was providing cover outside their area & just before the kick was taken Warnock shouted at him to get in the box which left us more vulnerable to their quick counter. I am not saying that having Kadeem sitting a little deeper would have stopped it but it would probably have helped to contain it.
    There is an underlying criticism of Warnock in my original comment. If it is correct, it should have been addressed as it can lead to goals conceded. We were fortunate not to be two down, fairly early on.

maybe the captain of the team should be organising corners and freekicks instead of getting into his position so quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    It was Noone providing the cover and Warnock told him to go and mark their keeper, but otherwise your observation is correct, He was obviously in the position he'd been told to play originally and Warnock decided to gamble.