+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blair

Blair

Is he the stupidest Prime Minister the country ever had.
    Not only did he cause almost all the problems the West are trying to deal with now and for the next 500 years....but he also is deluded if he thinks the EU has any future at all.

God man just crawl under a bush and leave public life.

Re: Blair

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    Not only did he cause almost all the problems the West are trying to deal with now and for the next 500 years....but he also is deluded if he thinks the EU has any future at all.

I'm not sure you can talk about the downsides of ever increasing globalisation and hold one man (or one government) responsible for the vast majority of it.

^^ I'm no Blair fan, but that is surely so.

I saw him on Andrew Marr's show this morning.
    Good grief - he is still employing his old 'three points' - bish-bash-bosh routine !

Eeer some basic facts are wrong here.

Cameron was the clown who agreed to the Scottish devolution vote and , oh yes it was Cameron who created the Brexit shambles.

The Iraq war was supported fully by the Tories as you should know. Wierdly you forget The Good Friday agreement and how much that
    improved the situation in Northern Ireland. PFI was a well intentioned mistake but hey ho it made fortunes for Tory Cyunts like you.

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Mass immigration - that has pushed wages down due to easy cheap labour - and much of that in the heartlands of Labour supporting communities - fantastic work there Tony. Tony probably doesnt realise that he was the vote Leave sides biggest ally.
    Is there any real evidence of that? This map shows the % of foreign born people in each area. If you compare it to this map it looks like many of the areas where labour is incredibly strong, % foreign born is low.

Blair, did some good things, did some bad things. Cameron, did some good things, did some bad things.

NOTE: I’d add to this Blair’s foreign policy interventions, including Sierra Leone, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. The reason it is not included here is the reason I am not a Labour party member.

Labour’s top 50 achievements since being elected in 1997 – as on their website
    1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.

2. Low mortgage rates.

3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.

4. Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.

5. Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.

6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.

7. Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.

8. Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.

9. Employment is at its highest level ever.

10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.

11. 85,000 more nurses.

12. 32,000 more doctors.

13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards.

14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.

15. Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.

16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.

17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.

18. Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.

19. Restored city-wide government to London.

20. Record number of students in higher education.

21. Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.

22. Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.

23. Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.

25. On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

26. Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.

27. Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.

28. All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.

29. A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.

30. 600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.

31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.

32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.

33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.

34. Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.

35. Banned fox hunting.

36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.

37. Free TV licences for over-75s.

38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.

39. Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.

40. Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.

41. New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.

42. Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.

43. Free eye test for over 60s.

44. More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.

45. Free entry to national museums and galleries.

46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled.

47. Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.

48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.

49. Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.

50. Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post

NOTE: I’d add to this Blair’s foreign policy interventions, including Sierra Leone, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. The reason it is not included here is the reason I am not a Labour party member.

Labour’s top 50 achievements since being elected in 1997 – as on their website
    1. Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s.

2. Low mortgage rates.

3. Introduced the National Minimum Wage and raised it to £5.52.

4. Over 14,000 more police in England and Wales.

5. Cut overall crime by 32 per cent.

6. Record levels of literacy and numeracy in schools.

7. Young people achieving some of the best ever results at 14, 16, and 18.

8. Funding for every pupil in England has doubled.

9. Employment is at its highest level ever.

10. Written off up to 100 per cent of debt owed by poorest countries.

11. 85,000 more nurses.

12. 32,000 more doctors.

13. Brought back matrons to hospital wards.

14. Devolved power to the Scottish Parliament.

15. Devolved power to the Welsh Assembly.

16. Dads now get paternity leave of 2 weeks for the first time.

17. NHS Direct offering free convenient patient advice.

18. Gift aid was worth £828 million to charities last year.

19. Restored city-wide government to London.

20. Record number of students in higher education.

21. Child benefit up 26 per cent since 1997.

22. Delivered 2,200 Sure Start Children’s Centres.

23. Introduced the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

24. £200 winter fuel payment to pensioners & up to £300 for over-80s.

25. On course to exceed our Kyoto target for reducing greenhouse gas emissions.

26. Restored devolved government to Northern Ireland.

27. Over 36,000 more teachers in England and 274,000 more support staff and teaching assistants.

28. All full time workers now have a right to 24 days paid holiday.

29. A million pensioners lifted out of poverty.

30. 600,000 children lifted out of relative poverty.

31. Introduced child tax credit giving more money to parents.

32. Scrapped Section 28 and introduced Civil Partnerships.

33. Brought over 1 million social homes up to standard.

34. Inpatient waiting lists down by over half a million since 1997.

35. Banned fox hunting.

36. Cleanest rivers, beaches, drinking water and air since before the industrial revolution.

37. Free TV licences for over-75s.

38. Banned fur farming and the testing of cosmetics on animals.

39. Free breast cancer screening for all women aged between 50-70.

40. Free off peak local bus travel for over-60s.

41. New Deal – helped over 1.8 million people into work.

42. Over 3 million child trust funds have been started.

43. Free eye test for over 60s.

44. More than doubled the number of apprenticeships.

45. Free entry to national museums and galleries.

46. Overseas aid budget more than doubled.

47. Heart disease deaths down by 150,000 and cancer deaths down by 50,000.

48. Cut long-term youth unemployment by 75 per cent.

49. Free nursery places for every three and four-year-olds.

50. Free fruit for most four to six-year-olds at school.
    I've got major doubts about Corbyn's ability to lead the country in these tough and challenging times but if little kids are going to get a free tangerine then I think we should all give him a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    I've got major doubts about Corbyn's ability to lead the country in these tough and challenging times but if little kids are going to get a free tangerine then I think we should all give him a chance.
    Says it all really ,debate, history and this post, stopped dead in its tracks

Nothing in politics happens by accident.

Dear BlueWales

Devolution was delivered by Blair mate (something he now regrets as not putting in enough safe guards), A devolved Scotland wanted more and more powers until Cameron caved into them. Cameron offer Scotland the Independence vote (which he won).

I did not mention the word Brexit in my post.

The Iraq war was voted through by all parties as they had been lied to that there were weapons of mass destruction capable of hitting UK troops in Cyprus.

The Northern peace treaty was started in 1993 by John Major and Albert Reynolds Irish PM.

PFI was used by John Major as a small term fix for small projects. Tony and Gordon took PFI and blew it out the water.

ps - I'm neither a Tory or a CUN T - I have naively voted for all the main parties over the years - more politically agnostic and sceptic nowadays.

I think the Tony Blair Govt is a great example spending lots of money that we didnt have on projects that could have and should have been better controlled and financed.
    The first bit made me laugh out loud, can't possibly comment on the second bit.

Interesting and novel that you give John Major the credit for the Northern Ireland agreement - I'm no Blair fan (Iraq and student loans ensure that), but I can recognise that his Government was hardly the complete failure that people who see him as the Devil incarnate these days make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Makes it all the more concerning that you never manage to predict any of it.

Overall Tony Blair was a decent PM, take out the obvious major ****s ups like mass uncontrolled immigration, ridiculous changes to taxation and the Iraq war and he did a good job although Cameron was better. He did lose a lot of steam after 2005 though and it felt like there was a scandal every other day towards the end.

Corbyns biggest achievement for me is that he has actually made Blair/New Labour an acceptable and sensible alternative to the Tories, I never thought I would say that but such would be the disaster and hilarity of Corbyn and his croneis in charge it's true.

Bob - I didnt give credit to ANYONE - I merely stated a fact that the NI agreement was started by John Major and Albert Reynolds. Using your logic you will accuse me of me a John Reynolds supporter ?.

As for Blair and that list of somewhat stretched achievements... all I would add is that he lied to the country and that cost many people their lives.
    Parliament knew dam well what was going on, so did all lot of people who just wanted the man gone for the atrocities inflicted on his own people by gassing them in the marshlands , and no way was the west going to wait for another invasion along the lines of Kuwait , or give him time build a weapon of his choose, and fire something, he was a awful man,who had already built rockets and warheads and fired them, god knows what his next plan was , and how many casualties that woudl have brought .

Yes it was born on false information , or soft information, and the constant taking the piss of the UK Inspections teams , and ignored imposed sanction over those years , that were killing his own people anyway .

We and Blair knew parliament would never vote for pure invasion, so a tipping point and excuse was found, and I dont think Blair plotted this on his own , it was done for him ,he was the naive figurehead .

Many parliamentarians who had half a brain knew , it suited the moment , he didn't fool everyone ,that is a convenient guilt excuse , the problem was the after plans , again not the sole responsibility of Blair ,a lot of experts were responsible, not a single person , he did not have a single vote, or a single plan, he ****ed up .

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Of course it does.

90% cock-up; 10% conspiracy.

So Blair knew it was lies (we can agree on that), and he told us all , and 'we' knew that it was all lies to and 'we' all knew that 'we' didnt want a 'pure' invasion.

At the time there was no Al Queda in Iraq, there was no ISIS in Iraq either. There was the 33rd parallel NFZ in place that stopped any Iraq jet going into that area. I cant be bothered to explain the rest - Im sure we all have better things to do. Blair was a disaster for this country in terms of the pay back for the economy and also his foreign policy. But at least he banned fox hunting and bought in a minimum wage which (along with his immigration policy) as put a glass ceiling on low paid jobs - where everything now seems to be minimum wage.

Im amazed Cameron managed to do anything with the mess that was left - Labour were like the political version of a bunch of travellers - leaving everyone else to clean up and pay for the mess.

Cameron's legacy is equally as dodgy but not in the same league as Tony Dumb and Gordon Dumber
    Under Blair inward migration of non-British citizens peaked at ~500k (one year, outlier), under the coalition and subsequent conservative government it has averaged at 498k.

Sadly the Tories will leave behind an education,NHS and social care system that has fallen apart because of their ideological hatred of the public sector.Still at least they managed to clear the defecit by 2015...oops 2020..oops 2025....oops. Whilst racking up a National debt that would make water eyes water.Still at least their foreign policy in Syria and Libya has been a raging success.
    Last edited by Pearcey3; 20-03-17 at 21:53.

So Blair knew it was lies (we can agree on that), and he told us all , and 'we' knew that it was all lies to and 'we' all knew that 'we' didnt want a 'pure' invasion.

At the time there was no Al Queda in Iraq, there was no ISIS in Iraq either. There was the 33rd parallel NFZ in place that stopped any Iraq jet going into that area. I cant be bothered to explain the rest - Im sure we all have better things to do. Blair was a disaster for this country in terms of the pay back for the economy and also his foreign policy. But at least he banned fox hunting and bought in a minimum wage which (along with his immigration policy) as put a glass ceiling on low paid jobs - where everything now seems to be minimum wage.

Im amazed Cameron managed to do anything with the mess that was left - Labour were like the political version of a bunch of travellers - leaving everyone else to clean up and pay for the mess.

Cameron's legacy is equally as dodgy but not in the same league as Tony Dumb and Gordon Dumber
    I think you will find the jihadist were there just badged differently, they were in Afghanistan and Clinton decided not to attack,that worked out well.

France didn't get involved in Iraq that went well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Is there any real evidence of that? This map shows the % of foreign born people in each area. If you compare it to this map it looks like many of the areas where labour is incredibly strong, % foreign born is low.
    I spent a good 90 seconds finding these two maps and you can't even be bothered to respond. Typical.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Sadly the Tories will leave behind an education,NHS and social care system that has fallen apart because of their ideological hatred of the public sector.Still at least they managed to clear the defecit by 2015...oops 2020..oops 2025....oops. Whilst racking up a National debt that would make water eyes water.Still at least their foreign policy in Syria and Libya has been a raging success.
    Labour don't make enough of the shit heap they inherited in 97, the Tories will still be talking about what they inherited in 2010 in 20 years.

The choice was pfi or leave hospitals and schools in disrepair because the electorate don't like to hear about tax increases. Pfi was a shit idea but no shitter than the Tories selling off everything that wasnt nailed down over the past 6 years.

zzzzzzzzzz.jpg

Oh god, we not off again ,with the Blair thing lets move on he won landslide victories , better than Thatchers.

Blair and Pence and Netanyahu were keynote speakers at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) 2017 conference in Washington DC yesterday:

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/la...air-2066558498

They all seem to be nicely 'on message' about Iran - if not some of Iran's political friends.

The demonstration outside was impressive. Not massive numbers - around 1,000 - but a clear stance on occupation and effective use of social media to get their side of the story out.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Blair and Pence and Netanyahu were keynote speakers at the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) 2017 conference in Washington DC yesterday:

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/la...air-2066558498

They all seem to be nicely 'on message' about Iran - if not some of Iran's political friends.

The demonstration outside was impressive. Not massive numbers - around 1,000 - but a clear stance on occupation and effective use of social media to get their side of the story out.
    Aye those peace loving democratic Iranians, never put a top wrong , bless them , and thier tolerant open society.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Labour don't make enough of the shit heap they inherited in 97, the Tories will still be talking about what they inherited in 2010 in 20 years.

The choice was pfi or leave hospitals and schools in disrepair because the electorate don't like to hear about tax increases. Pfi was a shit idea but no shitter than the Tories selling off everything that wasnt nailed down over the past 6 years.
    Indeed. Since 2010 the Tories have remorselessly banged on about the mess the last Labour Govt left behind. Labour should have hammered the Tories from 97 onwards about the mess they left critical public services in.