+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martin McGuinness dies...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Martin McGuinness dies...

From freedom fighter to politician, 66 years of age...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-39185899

Re: Martin McGuinness dies...

Did a lot of good in the past two decades and a lot of bad preceding that. So I can undersgand both the praise and bile surrounding his death. However as Colin Parry says he was brave and put his own life at risk to achieve a lssting piece. He did have blood on his hands though.

Feedback

my box of givea****s is empty

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    my box of givea****s is empty
    Mine too.
    Hopefully he died a slow and painful death.

Freedom fighter to some.
    Terrorist and murderer to others.

Depends on your point of view.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Freedom fighter to some.

I have a good mate who is from Tramore in the republic. His view on this seems to be that the leaders of the various factions decided to put down their guns and start the peace process when they realised it was a young man's game and they could no longer command as they had done previously. He really did hate the violence and said it just was not the Irish way at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    I have a good mate who is from Tramore in the republic. His view on this seems to be that the leaders of the various factions decided to put down their guns and start the peace process when they realised it was a young man's game and they could no longer command as they had done previously. He really did hate the violence and said it just was not the Irish way at all.
    I don't think there's much o a coincidence that they put down their guns at around the same time that the Catholic population became larger than the Protestant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I don't think there's much o a coincidence that they put down their guns at around the same time that the Catholic population became larger than the Protestant.
    Another thought is that the Loyalist paramilitaries were taking the war to the Republican community and winning the war.

Quote Originally Posted by protex blue View Post
    Another thought is that the Loyalist paramilitaries were taking the war to the Republican community and winning the war.
    I don't think you can win a war like that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Freedom fighter to some.

How can someone who was instrumental in planting bombs that killed innocent civilians and children NOT be a murderer?

"Prime Minister Theresa May said although she could never "condone the path he took in the earlier part of his life, Martin McGuinness ultimately played a defining role in leading the republican movement away from violence"."

Violence that he was instrumental in instigating!! It's disgraceful the way he is held up as some sort of "hero" for his role in eliminating violence when he was the one who was accelerating it. The man has innocent blood on his hands and has now taken his seat in hell - right next to the one with Gerry Adams' name on.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    "Prime Minister Theresa May said although she could never "condone the path he took in the earlier part of his life, Martin McGuinness ultimately played a defining role in leading the republican movement away from violence"."

Violence that he was instrumental in instigating!! It's disgraceful the way he is held up as some sort of "hero" for his role in eliminating violence when he was the one who was accelerating it. The man has innocent blood on his hands and has now taken his seat in hell - right next to the one with Gerry Adams' name on.
    My thoughts exactly. There's no honour in killing innocent civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    How can someone who was instrumental in planting bombs that killed innocent civilians and children NOT be a murderer?
    It's quite straightforward. It happens all the time in wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    It's quite straightforward. It happens all the time in wars.
    Murder is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse, especially the unlawful killing of another human being with malice aforethought. Are you saying that IRA bombing innocent civilians was justified or that they had a valid excuse? Or are you just going off at a tangent?

Murder is the unlawful killing of another human without justification or valid excuse, especially the unlawful killing of another human being with malice aforethought. Are you saying that IRA bombing innocent civilians was justified or that they had a valid excuse? Or are you just going off at a tangent?
    The same comment is wheeled out by those that defend absolutely any slaughter of jews near their "war zone".

Palestinian deaths are a tragedy carried out by the powerful evil, Israeli deaths are an acceptable result of them living in a war zone.

Mainly peoples agenda is what dictates what they care about, not genuine loss of life.

Can you explain unlawful killing ? It suggests to me that there must be some form of lawful killing.
    It just depends on who is making up the rules.

But when the British do it it is colatterel damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Bop Deluxe View Post
    Just wondering, when has anyone ever said that?.

Quote Originally Posted by Be Bop Deluxe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

The Ministry of Defence use the term for a start:

https://modmedia.blog.gov.uk/2015/12...-need-to-know/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...nocent-4915208

There are hundreds of examples if you do a quick search. The US military may have popularised the expression (to make the killing of civilians sound less like killing) but it is now used everywhere. Maybe the distinction you and TBG are looking for is 'unintended' or not rather than 'lawful' or not? Either way it is semantics.

About 20 minutes ago.

That poster above you.

Blog Entries

Question time 19th nov 2015, I remember it well.

Alan Partridge was right though- he does look like a clown without the make up

Alan Partridge was right though- he does look like a clown without the make up
    At least he didn't need to inhale helium during interviews to detract credibility from his statement.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    At least he didn't need to inhale helium during interviews to detract credibility from his statement.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson...by-gerry-adams

He manages to do that himself these days

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson...by-gerry-adams

He manages to do that himself these days
    Dude likes creme eggs, I'll forgive him anything.