Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
I would suppose the numbers of officers in London is vastly different even to the number in a smaller city and therefore before you have "massive amount of trained officers ready to use arms" you firstly would need to find a large number of new recruits and pay for these contracts.

from what i understand, the government are training more AR officers, we of course need more Police, but the police we have could be trained and armed

If we think about what this incident was (a small and limited number of attackers in a concentrated area) then we may compare it to the Tunisia beach attacks. The greater presences of armed forces in this previous incident did not stop the attacker any more quickly that today.

a fairly poor example, as the armed security in Tunisia is hardly the same as our trained AR Officers

of course you will never stop these attacks, i have never said we can, but giving the police a fighting chance can only help imho

Whatever the decision I would agree with the poster who suggested that a few hours after an attack is probably not the time for major policy change.
but it is something i think we need to look into