Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird since 1948 View Post
A big no from me, I was in France during the Euros and I was a uncomfortable with seeing the Army on the streets as well as heavily armed police, I know it was a necessity but I would hate for that to become the norm here.

Besides why is there such a knee jerk reaction to yesterdays events? There was little that could have been done to stop what happened. I thought our emergency services did a terrific job of minimising what could have been a far worse situation. It's tragic that people died but the death toll was low compared to similar attacks in Berlin and especially Nice. I am not sure if arming the police will have stopped what happened yesterday.
Another good post. Not sure how accurate it is, but I've read a report that the armed officers on scene immediately ran to the car but in the confusion the driver made his way through the crowd and went for the unarmed policeman and was actually shot by the nearest armed office, a minister's close protection officer.
As you say, the bravery and professionalism of our police and other emergency services yesterday was something we should all applaud and be proud of, but it's difficult to understand what else they could've done. They are a credit to our country.