+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Arm our officers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Arm our officers

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think you're missing the point (perhaps on purpose) that arming all police officers is a turning point, there's no going back once it's done. So the gun is just there for protection and to stop terrorists - how many times will an average officer come across a terrorist? None of the police officers I know have ever been in a situation where they have needed a gun for protection.

You talk about someone being stabbed with a knife - I'm sure you remember (perhaps you forgot on purpose) the 'you ain't no muslim bruv' incident. The police successfully tasered him. Didn't need a gun. Otherwise, yesterday's terrorist attacked with a car. Arming officers isn't going to stop that exceedingly rare occurence.

If anything, the fact that the guy resorted to using a car and a knife rather than a bomb and an automatic is a testament to the good work done by our intelligence services. That's our best weapon, prevention, not chasing after them with a gun after the event.
    the " you aint no muslim bruv " incident took place in london, where more carry tazers ( due to the training ) if it had been in Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil, they would not have had a tazer

The terrorist is changing, it used to be the IRA and a bomb, it is no some nutter with a knife or machete, as i mentioned in this threat, the bloke next door had to use a tazer at the start of the year ( he is one of the few trained to use it on his shout ) , the guy had a meat cleaver and was coming at Officers, if he hadnt been close, it could well have ended with a officer killed

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    the " you aint no muslim bruv " incident took place in london, where more carry tazers ( due to the training ) if it had been in Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil, they would not have had a tazer

The terrorist is changing, it used to be the IRA and a bomb, it is no some nutter with a knife or machete, as i mentioned in this threat, the bloke next door had to use a tazer at the start of the year ( he is one of the few trained to use it on his shout ) , the guy had a meat cleaver and was coming at Officers, if he hadnt been close, it could well have ended with a officer killed
    Why don't police in Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil have tasers?

Why don't police in Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil have tasers?
    I am sure you know the answer, as i have mentioned it earlier but i will play along

they do, it is a example, to counter yours of being in london, the trained officers ( normally AR trained officers ) in Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil ( i.e outside bigger cities and espeically london ) could very well be 30 mins away, In London they are not due to the fact that MORE Officers are trained to use them, ( in the days of staff being cut and forces Sharing resources the times can be greater than 30 mins )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I am sure you know the answer, as i have mentioned it earlier but i will play along

they do, it is a example, to counter yours of being in london, the trained officers ( normally AR trained officers ) in Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil ( i.e outside bigger cities and espeically london ) could very well be 30 mins away, In London they are not due to the fact that MORE Officers are trained to use them, ( in the days of staff being cut and forces Sharing resources the times can be greater than 30 mins )
    I'm sure you realise that my question was why do these police officers not have tasers, not how do they get around it.

Maybe they don't have the resources to train everyone, or the resources to buy units for all, or maybe there's just no need for every officer to have one as the typical type of crime doesn't demand it.

Whatever the reason(s) for them not giving tasers to all officers, you can multiply it by ten for guns.

I'm sure you realise that my question was why do these police officers not have tasers, not how do they get around it.
    the point of distribution is important here, it is fine to use examples of what happens in London, but in rural area it is not the same, mainly due to the size of counties / amount of trained officers, it is compounded with the issue of forces sharing resources, in my example, a ARU could be in Yeovil and needed in Gloucester, now thats a rather large distance to travel

Maybe they don't have the resources to train everyone, or the resources to buy units for all, or maybe there's just no need for every officer to have one as the typical type of crime doesn't demand it.

Whatever the reason(s) for them not giving tasers to all officers, you can multiply it by ten for guns.
    it could well be the cost of them ? ? ? we know in real money the Police have for years had budgets cut