+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Arm our officers

Re: Arm our officers

Quote Originally Posted by CardiffIrish2 View Post
    My believed opinion is that the Policeman who fired that shot yesterday will be investigated thoroughly , interviewed, his clothes taken at time he was wearing and he will be left sweating for a period of time whilst it is decided if he carried out his actions lawfully.
    I think it should be investigated fully but I don't think he will have anything to worry about and will certainly not be left sweating. It's important anyone killed by the police whoever it may be be fully investigated.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    i wonder if the % has changed with the " new terrorist threats "
    vaste majority of police are not involved with policing terrorism unless they are on patrols or cordons etc after the event, the daily slog for the majority is reporting burglaries, domestics, assaults etc and generally chasing their tails for the whole shift, actual preventative policing is dying out, no time

I agree from an objective point of view. My thinking is somewhat different as I remember that aforementioned grilling I had .
    I feel for the officer, he's done the right thing but it's going to be a potracted affair waiting for that final seal of approval that he did nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Packerman View Post
    vaste majority of police are not involved with policing terrorism unless they are on patrols or cordons etc after the event, the daily slog for the majority is reporting burglaries, domestics, assaults etc and generally chasing their tails for the whole shift, actual preventative policing is dying out, no time
    the guy next door to me is aware of the threat of " being killed in a terror attack ", infact a few years ago, they were all told to change into Civvy clothes to go home, as the threat of a policeman being killed in a attack was real, it must have been after Lee Rigby was murdered

I have discussed that with him, he hates it that his wife and family worry about him at work, it pee's him of alot, he often moans, i would have been better of being a window cleaner

I don't think there's been one decent point made that all police should be armed.

In this country the ones in high risk areas are.

In America plenty of innocent people get killed.

The whole idea is an over reaction to a terrorist attack that whilst terrible seems to have been dealt with in a fairly straightforward way.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I couldnt answer that, as I am not a criminal

though having worked the doors in cardiff a little many years ago, i know ( at that time ) it was easy enough to get a gun, so i guess if a criminal really wanted a gun, they would be able to get one
    That doesn't answer my question at all. Getting a gun wasn't my question, you admit that getting one is easy. My question is would criminals etc be more likely to carry them if they knew the police would be.

My feeling is that they would be more likely to carry guns. The possibility of being shot is not so much of a deterrent, more of a problem that needs to be overcome. More guns = less safety. America is proof of that.

I agree from an objective point of view. My thinking is somewhat different as I remember that aforementioned grilling I had .
    I feel for the officer, he's done the right thing but it's going to be a potracted affair waiting for that final seal of approval that he did nothing wrong.
    I suspect the tabloids/media/public would become apoplectic if the officer was is subsequently seen to get given a hard time or negative outcome over his actions, particularly in light of the level and style of media coverage we have seen over the last 24 hrs.

The whole area is now, understandably, so very emotive.

The officer won't have anything to worry about. One of his colleagues had just been murdered. He had to shoot and if necessary to kill to protect lives.
    As for wholesale arming of the Police I would hate to see that happen. Arming police forces with tazers would seem like a sensible compromise.

Armed police during the miners strike or the Brixton riots etc. let alone the footy events of the 70's and 80's would be horrible to imagine.

The lesson earned at Peterloo is a lesson that should ALWAYS be remembered.

Good, enjoyable thread, with some very informative contributions. Well done to blue Matt for sticking in there, and fighting lots of fires. I never want to see all our police armed, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Whilst it is all very spectacular and nerve raking when these events happen, the UK and Europe is still a considerably very safe place. People worried about terror attacks in the UK are backing the wrong horse, knife crime is the UK plague!!

Some data here that puts terrorist attack into numbers.
    http://www.datagraver.com/case/peopl...rope-1970-2015

as a a retired met officer who was an AFO for 15 years my articulate thoughts are that the police don't need or want to be fully armed, what they need is enough armed response to deal with situations that arise, not a problem in London but obviously an issue in other smaller forces, carrying a weapon is a huge responsibility with the onus on you to justify your actions taken in the split second of an incident perhaps to a jury months later when what you did can be minutely examined, not everyone wants that responsibility, we've seen previous threads on this board with people asking why didn't they shoot to wound sums up the predicament nicely
    retired?? you ****ing lazy ****. do you have an issue with working or what? there are folk in this country that wuld kill for the chance of a job. you are a disgrace son.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    retired?? you ****ing lazy ****. do you have an issue with working or what? there are folk in this country that wuld kill for the chance of a job. you are a disgrace son.
    Behave he has plenty to do.

retired?? you ****ing lazy ****. do you have an issue with working or what? there are folk in this country that wuldkill for the chance of a job. you are a disgrace son.

somebody must have mistaken your head for a lambeg drum when you was a lad

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    Behave he has plenty to do.
    Is it paid work

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Armed police during the miners strike or the Brixton riots etc. let alone the footy events of the 70's and 80's would be horrible to imagine.

The lesson earned at Peterloo is a lesson that should ALWAYS be remembered.
    Know your history

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    Know your history
    Peterloo was the army, cavalry to be precise

Peterloo was the army, cavalry to be precise
    Of course it was, the police hadn't been formed yet.

Of course it was, the police hadn't been formed yet.
    know your history

know your history
    The Peterloo Massacre occurred at St Peter's Field, Manchester, England, on 16 August 1819.

Greater Manchester Police had its early origins in the Metropolitan Manchester City Police which formed sometime in the 1830s, just after the Metropolitan Police Force in London.

What's your point?

[QUOTE=Wales-Bales;4729464]The Peterloo Massacre occurred at St Peter's Field, Manchester, England, on 16 August 1819.

Greater Manchester Police had its early origins in the Metropolitan Manchester City Police which formed sometime in the 1830s, just after the Metropolitan Police Force in London.

What's your point?[/QUOTE
    just mentioning it was the army when the thread is about arming the police , is that ok with you oh wise one

just mentioning it was the army when the thread is about arming the police , is that ok with you oh wise one
    And I was just mentioning that somebody higher up decided it was a good idea to put armed government employees in amonst a crowd of unarmed civilians. So while we are here, it might be a good idea to ask who was that somebody, why did they think it was a good idea, and for what purpose? We could also ask if there are any parallels with the call by some to arm a group of present day government employees, who will predominantly be amonst crowds of unarmed civilians on a daily basis.

And I was just mentioning that somebody higher up decided it was a good idea to put armed government employees in amonst a crowd of unarmed civilians. So while we are here, it might be a good idea to ask who was that somebody, why did they think it was a good idea, and for what purpose? We could also ask if there are any parallels with the call by some to arm a group of present day government employees, who will predominantly be amonst crowds of unarmed civilians on a daily basis.
    i,m against it as i have previously stated, cant see the parallel between 1819 army and modern day policing tbh, i'll leave you to the last word now, of out, suns shining etc

i,m against it as i have previously stated, cant see the parallel between 1819 army and modern day policing tbh, i'll leave you to the last word now, of out, suns shining etc
    Let's say in the current day and age, a huge crowd of disgruntled citizens had a very valid reason to march on parliament. I know you are against arming the police, but can anybody say for sure a similar outcome could not happen again? And this is besides all the trigger-finger events that are likely to occur on a regular basis.

PS no sun here