+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Arm our officers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Arm our officers

I'm not a big fan of guns but I think it's time we armed all police officers. Too close to home today :(

Re: Arm our officers

Quote Originally Posted by Spearsy View Post
    I'm not a big fan of guns but I think it's time we armed all police officers. Too close to home today :(

Quote Originally Posted by Spearsy View Post
    Rubbish

As terrrible as things were today we reacted fantastically to it and my faith in our security has only been strengthened by today

Its the obvious and understandable reaction but Im not convinced that routine arming is the way forward. Anyway, from the pics Ive seen a lot of the cops were carrying guns.

that area of london would have had Armed Officers walking around on patrol and they have a massive amount of trained officers ready to use arms, the ARU in central london is a fair size

Now imagine something similar happening in a sleepy small town in Gloucester or Somerset, the ARU might take 30 mins to arrive on the scene and then it will likely only be 6 of them, think of the damage someone could do in 30 mins a scary thought

i know the government has said they are training up more AR officers, but not enough and not fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    that area of london would have had Armed Officers walking around on patrol and they have a massive amount of trained officers ready to use arms, the ARU in central london is a fair size

Now imagine something similar happening in a sleepy small town in Gloucester or Somerset, the ARU might take 30 mins to arrive on the scene and then it will likely only be 6 of them, think of the damage someone could do in 30 mins a scary thought

i know the government has said they are training up more AR officers, but not enough and not fast enough
    I would suppose the numbers of officers in London is vastly different even to the number in a smaller city and therefore before you have "massive amount of trained officers ready to use arms" you firstly would need to find a large number of new recruits and pay for these contracts.

If we think about what this incident was (a small and limited number of attackers in a concentrated area) then we may compare it to the Tunisia beach attacks. The greater presences of armed forces in this previous incident did not stop the attacker any more quickly that today.

Whatever the decision I would agree with the poster who suggested that a few hours after an attack is probably not the time for major policy change.

Sorry but all I see by arming the police is creating opportunities for would be terrorists

All a terrorist needs to do is overpower one bobby then he can go popping caps in farrrrrrrr more people than a crazy with a knife could stab

Bad idea all round

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I would suppose the numbers of officers in London is vastly different even to the number in a smaller city and therefore before you have "massive amount of trained officers ready to use arms" you firstly would need to find a large number of new recruits and pay for these contracts.

from what i understand, the government are training more AR officers, we of course need more Police, but the police we have could be trained and armed

If we think about what this incident was (a small and limited number of attackers in a concentrated area) then we may compare it to the Tunisia beach attacks. The greater presences of armed forces in this previous incident did not stop the attacker any more quickly that today.

a fairly poor example, as the armed security in Tunisia is hardly the same as our trained AR Officers

of course you will never stop these attacks, i have never said we can, but giving the police a fighting chance can only help imho

Whatever the decision I would agree with the poster who suggested that a few hours after an attack is probably not the time for major policy change.
    but it is something i think we need to look into

Richyrich

Agree with Colonel on this, they've got tasers which should be adequate to disable a knife-wielding maniac.

I thought they do already?? Saw a few in the Hayes the other day with guns in display.....it will be routine soon. I'm afraid bush and Blair have phucked the world as we know it well up.....it's only going to get worse.....

Holy shit is this a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Holy shit is this a bad idea.
    Why?

The main problem with routinely arming the police is that the bad guys will also arm themselves.
    UK becomes like the USA in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    The main problem with routinely arming the police is that the bad guys will also arm themselves.
    UK becomes like the USA in no time.
    Agreed - and I can tell you from first hand - you do not want to live in an environment where guns become everyday items.

UK is special because we don't see guns as routine equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Agreed - and I can tell you from first hand - you do not want to live in an environment where guns become everyday items.

UK is special because we don't see guns as routine equipment.
    but it isnt as easy in the UK to get a gun, we do not have them floating around in bars etc etc

but it isnt as easy in the UK to get a gun, we do not have them floating around in bars etc etc
    Except in Newport of course

The guy had a car and a knife

Casualties would have been similar in a sleepy town too

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post

Careful, you'll be called a libtard in a minute.

but he would have continued to run around stabbing people, the armed officer shot him to stop him in london

so dont you think in that 30 mins he might have done more damage ? ? ?

but he would have continued to run around stabbing people, the armed officer shot him to stop him in london

so dont you think in that 30 mins he might have done more damage ? ? ?
    A man with a knife would soon be over powered if people see a threat

In some circles, yes.
    But many ordinary Joes would try to run off, thinking " let someone else tackle him!"

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    In some circles, yes.
    But many ordinary Joes would try to run off, thinking " let someone else tackle him!"
    no they wouldn't. plenty of people put their own safety second in times like this.

even if you are right, the chances are the guy would have stabbed a fair few more people by then

yet if a armed PO was only a few mins away, people wouldnt have to " be a hero " and have a go, they would know, get out the way and in a few mins the police would arrive and put the guy down

I don't know what the solution to an arsehole with a knife is, but I know giving every superiority-complex meathead bobby a hand-cannon is going to cause more problems than it solves.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    I don't know what the solution to an arsehole with a knife is, but I know giving every superiority-complex meathead bobby a hand-cannon is going to cause more problems than it solves.
    because is does in the US i guess ? ? ?