Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
I think you're missing the point (perhaps on purpose) that arming all police officers is a turning point, there's no going back once it's done. So the gun is just there for protection and to stop terrorists - how many times will an average officer come across a terrorist? None of the police officers I know have ever been in a situation where they have needed a gun for protection.

You talk about someone being stabbed with a knife - I'm sure you remember (perhaps you forgot on purpose) the 'you ain't no muslim bruv' incident. The police successfully tasered him. Didn't need a gun. Otherwise, yesterday's terrorist attacked with a car. Arming officers isn't going to stop that exceedingly rare occurence.

If anything, the fact that the guy resorted to using a car and a knife rather than a bomb and an automatic is a testament to the good work done by our intelligence services. That's our best weapon, prevention, not chasing after them with a gun after the event.
the " you aint no muslim bruv " incident took place in london, where more carry tazers ( due to the training ) if it had been in Bath, Salisbury or Yeovil, they would not have had a tazer

The terrorist is changing, it used to be the IRA and a bomb, it is no some nutter with a knife or machete, as i mentioned in this threat, the bloke next door had to use a tazer at the start of the year ( he is one of the few trained to use it on his shout ) , the guy had a meat cleaver and was coming at Officers, if he hadnt been close, it could well have ended with a officer killed