+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Something we've not been good at as a club...

Something we've not been good at as a club...

...is getting hold on season-long loans of young, real talent from the big boys.

Would seem to me in the club's present situation that this should be a priority for next season's well-advertised promotion push. The likes of Chelsea and others have scores of young players farmed out each season never getting a look at the first team squad but loaded with talent.

Just one special prospect - in midfield would be my preference - would make all the difference and is financially sensible.

Surely NW is regarded highly enough to be trusted to look after a rising star?

Re: Something we've not been good at as a club...

Agree - a season long loan or two that works better than Sammi Ameobi etc.

Izzy Brown and Tammy Abraham would be excellent. Both know the league, neither will break into the Chelsea first team next season, and they play in areas we need to strengthen.

Aaron Moy has been unbelievable for Huddersfield this season. I'd love us to bring in someone of his quality

Bellamy was a good long term loan, before him was it Koumas?

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Bellamy was a good long term loan, before him was it Koumas?

Yes, but both those players were hardly "discoveries" , they were already on the radar, however, who had heard of some of the above mentioned players before ... and look at the impact they have made in the Championship this season.

Good post by the Op btw - this loaning of top young talent from the "big boys" can really reap dividends sometimes. I hope we can pursue this ourselves.
    Can you imagine a frontline of Zohore and Tammy Abraham!!!

Sorry, wasn't meant to be a criticism of the original post, more a confirmation that the recent successful long term loans have only been these 2. Unless there are others I am sure I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    ...is getting hold on season-long loans of young, real talent from the big boys.

Would seem to me in the club's present situation that this should be a priority for next season's well-advertised promotion push. The likes of Chelsea and others have scores of young players farmed out each season never getting a look at the first team squad but loaded with talent.

Just one special prospect - in midfield would be my preference - would make all the difference and is financially sensible.

We've tried a few in more recent seasons - Tom Lawrence, Sammy Ameobi, Ravel Morrison and Wilfred Zaha. Pity they didn't really come up with the goods.

I'm trying to think of loan successes, outside of Koumas and Bellamy. Drinkwater did a good job for us, so did the JB Routledge, but I remember Jay Emmanuel-Thomas, Kelvin Etuhu and Kerrea Gilbert too.

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Sorry, wasn't meant to be a criticism of the original post, more a confirmation that the recent successful long term loans have only been these 2. Unless there are others I am sure I missed.
    It's ok, I didn't see it as a criticism, I took it the way you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post

I am sure you are right about NW being highly regarded but surely Bellamy must have useful contacts also. ?
    Between them they should be able to tap up clubs like Man City and succeed in negotiating a good season long loan deal.

I can't think of any clubs that get this right with any degree of consistency.
    Part of the problem is that the most talented loanees don't tend to go to the championship any more eg Bernard traore. So ee are left chasing the next le

I agree with the OP. this is something we have not exploited over the years at all. Every player that has come here seems to have been completely disinterested in putting any effort in. Im thinking Zaha, Ameobi off the top of my head. Hopefully with a bit of stability in the club now we can attract more quality players than we have.

Blue in the Face

There's a down side to loans from a strictly financial point of view. The loaning club is essentially paying wages/fees to nurture an asset for which they will have nothing to gain on.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    There's a down side to loans from a strictly financial point of view. The loaning club is essentially paying wages/fees to nurture an asset for which they will have nothing to gain on.
    and when all the loans expire at the end of the season, we have nothing to build on / rebuild

look at when Jones tried it

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    As a means to an end, it must be worth it.

Nothing wrong with bringing in one or two as a last resort.

I were a kid in the U23's working hard and playing well to get into the first team, then some Johnny-Come-Lately takes the opportunity away, I'd be quite pissed off with the manager.

Gary O'Neil was a good loan,it's not easy to find the right fit .Some players schooled at the bigger clubs can't simply knit into the demands and rigours of the Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gary O'Neil was a good loan,it's not easy to find the right fit .Some players schooled at the bigger clubs can't simply knit into the demands and rigours of the Championship.
    One of the best players I have ever seen in a City shirt

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    I think I saw most of Gary O'Neil's games with City and yes, he was a class act - or maybe just a cut above what we'd been used to seeing. But when I looked, I'm amazed to see he only played 9 times for us. Certainly made an impression, though.