+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer woes.......

Computer woes.......

Had a major blip recently. I think what happened was that a family tree program malfunctioned when I was up-dating the details of a family whose name began with Pin... As a result, everything in Documents after Pin was lost - many, many folders! Fortunately 98% was backed up. (I'm running XP on my PC, btw)

When I try to copy the missing folders back into Documents, still they are not there, although when I then copy individual folders, a window says that they are and do I want to replace them. When I run a search for them, they are only to be found on my back-up HD - not my PC.

Any thoughts, please?

Re: Computer woes.......

Do they appear in your recycle bin?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Do they appear in your recycle bin?
    Thanks for asking - the short answer is 'No'

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Thanks for asking - the short answer is 'No'
    Hmmm. How does the backup work? Does it backup automatically or do you physically have to copy your files and folders to the backup drive?

Hmmm. How does the backup work? Does it backup automatically or do you physically have to copy your files and folders to the backup drive?
    I physically copy files/folders to the external drives. I have two - as I'm paranoid about losing stuff. But I would like to copy the missing files back to Documents.

Is the family tree program still running (even in the background) when you're looking in Documents and not seeing these folders?

It sounds like a program is interfering with it.

Is the family tree program still running (even in the background) when you're looking in Documents and not seeing these folders? It sounds like a program is interfering with it.
    I can't access the FT program and tried to delete it (although it still appears in my programs) after up-loading a newer version which is functioning properly. I'll try to remove the earlier version again.

I can't access the FT program and tried to delete it (although it still appears in my programs) after up-loading a newer version which is functioning properly. I'll try to remove the earlier version again.
    No need to remove it, just make sure it's closed when you're looking in documents.

Check the System tray (bottom right, down by the clock) to see if there are any icons there that show it's still running. If it is, right click the icon and close it, then look in the folders again. You may have to right click in the folder and hit 'refresh'.

If that doesn't work I might have a couple of other things you can try.

Had a major blip recently. I think what happened was that a family tree program malfunctioned when I was up-dating the details of a family whose name began with Pin... As a result, everything in Documents after Pin was lost - many, many folders! Fortunately 98% was backed up. (I'm running XP on my PC, btw)

When I try to copy the missing folders back into Documents, still they are not there, although when I then copy individual folders, a window says that they are and do I want to replace them. When I run a search for them, they are only to be found on my back-up HD - not my PC.

Any thoughts, please?
    Get out more in the fresh air. Eat less, move more. Watch less, do more.

This is a very basic suggestion but is it possible that you are not using the vertical scroll bar in your documents directory? It might explain why you can only see up to Pin.

No need to remove it, just make sure it's closed when you're looking in documents.

Check the System tray (bottom right, down by the clock) to see if there are any icons there that show it's still running. If it is, right click the icon and close it, then look in the folders again. You may have to right click in the folder and hit 'refresh'.

If that doesn't work I might have a couple of other things you can try.
    I had removed the earlier version - but a 'bit' remained in the Programs drop down list (which I've now deleted). The program is not in the System Tray. Oddly, since trying things this morning I've lost 6 Pin files from Documents. I'm wondering if Explorer is not operating properly.....

Thanks again for your time and trouble
    Last edited by Cyclops; 23-03-17 at 11:48.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    This is a very basic suggestion but is it possible that you are not using the vertical scroll bar in your documents directory? It might explain why you can only see up to Pin.
    Thanks for that. It's the files/folders after Pin that are missing - and there are so many files/folder in Documents that I scroll horizontally.

I had removed the earlier version - but a 'bit' remained in the Programs drop down list (which I've now deleted). The program is not in the System Tray. Oddly, since trying things this morning I've lost 6 Pin files from Documents. I'm wondering if Explorer is not operating properly.....

Thanks again for your time and trouble
    STOP deleting stuff. You will just make things worse. It is probably something very simple.

Thanks for that. It's the files/folders after Pin that are missing - and there are so many files/folder in Documents that I scroll horizontally.
    Use the cmd prompt, go to your documents directory and just type dir to see if it is just an Explorer glitch.

Try going to the folder, then click Tools> Folder Options

Click the 'View' tab, then select 'Show hidden files and folders' and deselect 'Hide extensions for known file types' (if the option is there) then click OK and let me know if anything changes.

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Use the cmd prompt, go to your documents directory and just type dir to see if it is just an Explorer glitch.
    CMD.jpg
    The result (with my name deleted). This was copied to Documents - it was named CMD (ie before Pin)

How do you read it?

Try going to the folder, then click Tools> Folder Options

Click the 'View' tab, then select 'Show hidden files and folders' and deselect 'Hide extensions for known file types' (if the option is there) then click OK and let me know if anything changes.
    (You're talking re: the file in the external HD?) Did that - the option 'Not to hide' was there which I clicked. I copied the file to Documents. Again a window said it was already there, did I want to replace it. Clicked yes. And hey presto the file appeared in Documents. the file name starts ZZZ - ie after Pin
    Well done, you! Does this mean I have to do the same thing for all those files/folders? There's 100s!

Richyrich

Try booting in safe mode and see if your files show up.

(You're talking re: the file in the external HD?) Did that - the option 'Not to hide' was there which I clicked. I copied the file to Documents. Again a window said it was already there, did I want to replace it. Clicked yes. And hey presto the file appeared in Documents. the file name starts ZZZ - ie after Pin
    Well done, you! Does this mean I have to do the same thing for all those files/folders? There's 100s!
    You should be able to go to Folder Options in your Documents folder and unhide them all, I would have thought.

You should stop replacing and deleting stuff. In Explorer select "my computer", "properties","tools" and select the option for checking your c: drive for errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Richyrich View Post
    Try booting in safe mode and see if your files show up.
    Tried that - no, the missing files aren't there - but thanks!

You should be able to go to Folder Options in your Documents folder and unhide them all, I would have thought.
    Yes! If I select those I want to copy, make sure 'Show hidden files and folders' is selected and click 'Yes To ALL', all the missing files I've kept will once again be in Documents.

RESULT!

Many thanks for your time and suggestions, guys

Blog Entries

(Fix your system restore while you are here)

Banned

My laptop is really facking slow. Any ideas how to speed it up?

Now you can see all the folders you can select all the folders that were previously hidden, right click, select properties then untick the hidden check box. Once you've done that you can undo the Show hidden files and folders change you made as many important system files are hidden.