+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Gary O'Neil...

Gary O'Neil...

...is mentioned in another post today which got me interested enough to look up his career:

- he played only 9 times for City in 2004/5 on loan from then Premier League Portsmouth. Certainly made a lasting impact in that time;

- He was only 21 at that time which proves a point that quality youngsters on loan can make such a difference;

- also played a couple of dozen times for England's U19, 2o and 21's;

- Liverpool were tempted to bid 5 million [pounds for him a year later which was rejected by Pompey;

- went on to have a good career playing over 200 games in total for Boro, West Ham, QPR and Norwich;

- still playing - age 33 - with the Worzels having played 12 games in the current season.

I don't see games these days but did he play against us this season and if so, how did he go?

Re: Gary O'Neil...

Yes he did ,he was an unused sub in our brillant 2-3 away win .
    The home game passed him by I thought, it was an emotional charge affair, he was always an energy player, perhaps his age is catching him up .

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Yes he did ,he was an unused sub in our brillant 2-3 away win .
    The home game passed him by I thought, it was an emotional charge affair, he was always an energy player, perhaps his age is catching him up .
    Hmm, thanks.

Btw, I'm guessing you must be a Bowie fan as is my daughter (now in her 40's). Dedicated, fanatical, knows everything about him, has endless memorabilia and so on. Was, of course, devastated last year when he passed on. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    ...is mentioned in another post today which got me interested enough to look up his career:

- he played only 9 times for City in 2004/5 on loan from then Premier League Portsmouth. Certainly made a lasting impact in that time;

- He was only 21 at that time which proves a point that quality youngsters on loan can make such a difference;

- also played a couple of dozen times for England's U19, 2o and 21's;

- Liverpool were tempted to bid 5 million [pounds for him a year later which was rejected by Pompey;

- went on to have a good career playing over 200 games in total for Boro, West Ham, QPR and Norwich;

- still playing - age 33 - with the Worzels having played 12 games in the current season.

I don't see games these days but did he play against us this season and if so, how did he go?
    For me, given the talent he showed during his short stint with us, I feel he maybe never quite lived up to that promise, which saw (as you say) interest from Liverpool. Since 2009, when Middlesbrough were relegated, I'm surprised he only spent two further seasons in the Premier League. That's 6 of the 8 seasons he's played since then, from the age of 26, have been in the Championship, winning promotion through the playoffs twice.

He's undoubtedly a good player, very good at this level though arguably not quite good enough for the top flight. Those two Premier League seasons have been as a result of promotion, I'm quite amazed that no Premier League teams have bought him since Middlesbrough a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowbridge Blue View Post
    Hmm, thanks.

Btw, I'm guessing you must be a Bowie fan as is my daughter (now in her 40's). Dedicated, fanatical, knows everything about him, has endless memorabilia and so on. Was, of course, devastated last year when he passed on. Just saying.
    Yes passing of a man who changed people's way of dressing , expressing one's self.

His variation of music was quite extraordinary , never mind his ever evolving persona and reinventions, a truly remarkable charecter and artist , one of which we will never see again.

Tell your daughter Hunky Dory is never been off my play list since 1971 , it still astonishes to this day how fresh and powerful it sounds .