+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: How much are you paying ?

How much are you paying ?

Those of us following Bob Wilson's blog will have noted in his declaration of poverty that he was giving up Sky TV. I was surprised that he still had it. I always think of Sky TV as a pre-internet thing. But I think Bob is unrealistic when he complains about having to spend more than £25 a week for his internet and television. Compared with the cost of other things I think that is good value. I pay about £70 a month for my broadband and phone and I'm happy with that.

Re: How much are you paying ?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    Those of us following Bob Wilson's blog will have noted in his declaration of poverty that he was giving up Sky TV. I was surprised that he still had it. I always think of Sky TV as a pre-internet thing. But I think Bob is unrealistic when he complains about having to spend more than £25 a week for his internet and television. Compared with the cost of other things I think that is good value. I pay about £70 a month for my broadband and phone and I'm happy with that.
    I pay $150 for two cell phones. $60 for my home Internet. $8 for Netflix and $15 for HBO. I cancelled cable. I have 3 TVs and use digital antennas to get free local stations. (the equivalent of getting HTV, BBC, C4 and S4C plus a few other randos). It would probably be another $150 to get all three TVs set up with cable.

£61 per month for mobile,landline and internet and £58 for Sky HD,Multiroom with all packages except Cinema and BTSport.Make massive use of Box Sets so well happy with the value. Technology not a strong point so simply cannot be bothered chasing around after 'gizmo's' from Amazon that will{maybe}save me a few quid here and there!!

£70 for broadband and phone??!!!

I pay £21 for unlimited fibre and free landline calls anytime

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

You are getting a good deal. I know I'm paying over the odds, but I need fast broadband. We have people watching films and TV on the net all day plus we have an xbox and a playstation on the go at night. We are paying for 200Mb but I've not checked the speed lately.

You are getting a good deal. I know I'm paying over the odds, but I need fast broadband. We have people watching films and TV on the net all day plus we have an xbox and a playstation on the go at night. We are paying for 200Mb but I've not checked the speed lately.
    Presume you are with Virgin? I am paying £50 a month with the xl tv package and sky movies with landline and 200Mb broadband. Ring them up and say you want to leave as you can get that offer by taking out a new offer with them. Don't take any crap from them and say you want to leave as they won't macth it. Then a week later they will ring you up and offer it for the price you want. Just done this in the last month. There is no customer loyalty from them.

[IMG]www.speedtest.net/result/6161607714.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Maccy Blue View Post
    Presume you are with Virgin? I am paying £50 a month with the xl tv package and sky movies with landline and 200Mb broadband. Ring them up and say you want to leave as you can get that offer by taking out a new offer with them. Don't take any crap from them and say you want to leave as they won't macth it. Then a week later they will ring you up and offer it for the price you want. Just done this in the last month. There is no customer loyalty from them.

[IMG]www.speedtest.net/result/6161607714.png[/IMG]
    Thanks for that. I might try it, but if it goes wrong and they call my bluff I will be in big trouble. I'm not even getting the xl tv package or the sky movies. But I wouldn't need that anyway.
    Last edited by David Vincent; 25-03-17 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Plus line rental of course

£29.99 for line rental,weekend & evening calls and fibre broadband

£22ish for full sky TV package.

£50 for fibre broadband, phone and basic telly package with VM.

68/munth and i get everything.

Too much
    Last edited by Pearcey3; 26-03-17 at 00:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    Too much
    THIS^^^^^

£40 a month for unlimited BT Infinity 2 broadband, landline, BT Youview TV box, BT Sport package & a BT mobile sim with 1000 minutes & 3GB of data.
    I just signed a new deal for the above 2 weeks ago after BT wanted to increase my monthly fee for just Infinity 2, landline & mobile sim to £57 a month.
    They dropped the price to £40 & threw in the BT Youview box & BT Sport package for free to stop me leaving them.
    I also have a quad core "droid" box which I have had for a few years now.

I pay £22 for fibre broadband 40mb , £19 line rental , and £12 for some BT package.

I pay £9 for netflix , and also have Amazon prime for £6 a month.

It's the line rental that's annoys me , seems a totally outdated thing in this day and age.

As for those with "boxes" i think the broadband companies are going to stop access to these servers as it's costing them money in the long run. What also needs to happen is for sky / BT / amazon / Netflix etc to make films available sooner.

I forced my broadband internet providor into giving me a big discount, and I get Sky for free although I rarely watch it.

It looks like it all about haggling to set your own price. Older posters are not used to haggling. Bob Wilson, who must be at least 90, is being taken to the cleaners if he is paying over a hundred a month. Part of the problem is that old people don't like change. This is partly fear and partly laziness. I stick with my utility providers because it seems to be just too much bother to reorganise the billing, etc. Whenever I try to organise anything like that there is always a cock-up.

With most things like utilities, broadband etc it is amazing what deals are actually available when the provider finally realises that you really are going to leave them.
    One of the biggest problems is getting to talk to the right person/department that can actually offer the deals in the first place.

You are happy with that????
    I pay £31pm for Fibre Broadband, Calls and basic TV package.
    BT SPort is then free as part of that.
    I get all sky sports channels, or NBC sports, F1, Bein and a load of US channels thats £50 per YEAR. (less than £5 per month).
    then i get all the sport/films and tv i want, and works out at less than £40 per month!

Quote Originally Posted by bezooo View Post
    I get all sky sports channels, or NBC sports, F1, Bein and a load of US channels thats £50 per YEAR. (less than £5 per month).
    then i get all the sport/films and tv i want, and works out at less than £40 per month!
    Kris is going to take a very dim view of this.

Quote Originally Posted by bezooo View Post
    You are happy with that????
    I pay £31pm for Fibre Broadband, Calls and basic TV package.
    BT SPort is then free as part of that.
    Someone will always have a better deal. You could waste a life trying to improve it. At some point you have to cut off and say that will do. I'm not saying you should allow yourself to be ripped off. You need to know what others are paying or getting but then you should ask yourself if it is worth the effort to get what they have got. For example, the man across the road might be married to an attractive nymphomaniac and you, like most men, are married to someone who has turned into Olive from On the Buses. But it takes a lot of work and effort to find, and more importantly, to keep someone like his wife. Is it worth the effort?

I work for BT so don't pay for phone line, broadband or BT Sport so can't comment on that, however I'm currently paying £40 a month for Sky with Sports plus HD (only missing the movies but I use my fathers account to access the on demand stuff). I'm on a half price deal with Sky and managed to wangle another year of it when it expired by threatening to leave.

I do watch a lot of footy so can't be arsed messing about with dodgy streams and Kodi boxes (besides the fact I don't agree with the practice of people doing it anyway!)

You must be on a gigabit connection.

I pay £26 for 50mb, Freeview channels on a Tivo Box with weekend calls, landline charges included in that price. Recently got rid of all the extras and then went for the basic channels, dont miss the channels I was effectively paying £50-60 a month for.