+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Loan Watch (26/3)

Loan Watch (26/3)

It's one of the consequences of being at the cutting edge of football journalism, as Loan Watch is, that when something big happens in the game, everyone wants to talk to you about it. Don't get me wrong, we receive correspondence all year round at Velikonja House but it's usually just requests for signed photos, interviews, after-dinner speaking, children's parties, that kind of thing. However, when the Belgian play-offs come round, all hell breaks loose. Our post bag and in-boxes are full. If I didn't have a couple of staff on the sick I'd be very tempted to start up a Belgian Play-off Watch, the appetite seems to be there for it. As it is, it's all hands on deck just trying to get through the e-mails and letters. Here's a brief missive from a City fan named James who, apparently, is also a Rangers fan (each to their own, I'm not here to judge).

"Hi Loramski and staff,

I'm a big Loan Watch fan, it's the highlight of my week. I wish we could send those wasters Gunnarsson and Zohore out on loan, they're rubbish. Thanks for the Belgian play-off stuff last week, keep it coming. I find it really interesting and enjoyable, even though it's another reminder of how sad and pointless Scottish football is these days. Keep up the good work.

James."

Thanks James, we'll do our best.

Not a big round-up this week as it's international week, some significant games though. One chance and one goal for Adam le Fondre yesterday as Bolton pull six points clear of third place in League One with a 2-0 win at Shrewsbury. Another high energy performance from Adam even though the service into him wasn't great. An injury for City old boy Andrew Taylor here, hopefully not too serious. At the other end of the table, Deji Oshilaja returned from injury for Gillingham but a late winner gave Peterborough the three points. Stuart O'Keefe had a chance late on to win the game for MK Dons at Port Vale but it finished 0-0. Ben Wilson was on the bench for Rochdale.

An important 1-0 win for Plymouth at table-topping Doncaster today takes them thirteen points clear of fourth place in League 2. As with Bolton, the title isn't out of reach but securing promotion will be the first priority. A quiet game for Matty Kennedy but he's played his part in getting Plymouth into this position. At non-league level, Cinderford followed a midweek 4-2 win against a Frome side who turned up without their kit by losing 3-1 against Kettering yesterday. Jarrad Welch had put them ahead but then missed a chance at 1-1 which proved costly.

Welcome aboard the Loan Watch Express to Theo Wharton, who has joined Lloyd Humphries on loan at Weston-Super-Mare this week. Now 22, Theo made a promising debut for City as a sub against WBA in the FA Cup in early 2012. Malky said then that Theo had a big future ahead of him but, rather like Malky himself, his big future seems to be behind him now. As a City player at least. He only made one more appearance for us, as a sub in the shadow side that got beaten at Macclesfield in the following year's FA Cup. He should've come on at MK Dons in last season's League Cup but Russell Slade bottled it and put an injured Lee Peltier in central midfield instead.

I've no idea why Theo hasn't gone out on loan before now, he's only started one first team game in his career, an international for St Kitts and Nevis last year. He's a neat, tidy, busy player. Technically and positionally sound, rarely has a bad game but rarely stands out either. If he was a plumber, you'd be happy for him to sort out your sinks and toilet but you wouldn't fancy him to install a central heating system. He's joined Weston at a difficult time, they've now lost six league games in a row in March (having lost eleven in a row earlier in the season). Theo came on in the 44th minute but it was Humphries who had the chance to put Weston ahead in the second half, things slipped away after his miss and they lost 3-1.

Congratulations to former players Scott Malone and David Forde who both made their respective leagues' Team of the Season this week, Malone in the Championship and Forde in League 2 (he's Portsmouth's keeper). Goals in the week for Conor McAleny and Jon Parkin. Parkin has also helped York to make the FA Trophy Final on May 22nd, having beaten Lincoln in the semi-final. (The final is played at Wembley on the same day as the FA Vase Final between South Shields and Cleethorpes. Loan Watch was slightly surprised to find that one of South Shields' semi-final goals was scored by Julio Arca). An excellent solo goal for Wilfried Zaha in Russia for the Ivory Coast this week. A belated mention for Rudi Gestede and Javi Guerra who both scored for their clubs last Sunday.

Plenty of former player action at Barnet yesterday as they beat Cheltenham 3-1. Former youngsters David Tutonda and Luke Coulson both started but manager (head coach) Kevin Nugent is the main talking point for now. Fans aren't happy with both results and the style of play at present, yesterday's performance was poor again even though Nugent finally got his first win. Long balls aimlessly kicked upfield despite a swirling wind and big Cheltenham centre-backs. It makes you wonder, if Nugent is playing basic, old-fashioned, ineffective football now he's in charge, who on earth did he serve his apprenticeship under as an assistant manager?

Re: Loan Watch (26/3)

Another good read, keep up the good work.

And a big shout out to all the back room staff who make it all possible

More Loan Watch excellence. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    More Loan Watch excellence. Thank you.
    ^^^this^^^

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    ^^^this^^^
    Great stuff. Be even better when your staff return....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Another good read, keep up the good work.

And a big shout out to all the back room staff who make it all possible
    Don't encourage them, they'll only be asking for pay rises and a pool table in the staff room.

I know it was a bit off topic but that Barnet stuff interested me. I just checked to see how David Tutonda had done (fine, apparently) but was amazed at the vitriol being directed towards Kevin Nugent, especially as they'd won and he's only been there just over a month. Obviously I knew he'd worked under Slade but had no idea he was employing his methods, crazy guy. The Barnet fans seem to be in that Catch 22 situation where they want their team to win but know a win will give the manager a stay of execution. Be careful what you wish for, they might chase Nugent out and end up with Slade himself.

Do you think Sky would show Belgian play-off if/when it meant enticing TOBW back?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It's one of the consequences of being at the cutting edge of football journalism, as Loan Watch is, that when something big happens in the game, everyone wants to talk to you about it. Don't get me wrong, we receive correspondence all year round at Velikonja House but it's usually just requests for signed photos, interviews, after-dinner speaking, children's parties, that kind of thing. However, when the Belgian play-offs come round, all hell breaks loose. Our post bag and in-boxes are full. If I didn't have a couple of staff on the sick I'd be very tempted to start up a Belgian Play-off Watch, the appetite seems to be there for it. As it is, it's all hands on deck just trying to get through the e-mails and letters. Here's a brief missive from a City fan named James who, apparently, is also a Rangers fan (each to their own, I'm not here to judge).

"Hi Loramski and staff,

I'm a big Loan Watch fan, it's the highlight of my week. I wish we could send those wasters Gunnarsson and Zohore out on loan, they're rubbish. Thanks for the Belgian play-off stuff last week, keep it coming. I find it really interesting and enjoyable, even though it's another reminder of how sad and pointless Scottish football is these days. Keep up the good work.

James."

Not a big round-up this week as it's international week, some significant games though. One chance and one goal for Adam le Fondre yesterday as Bolton pull six points clear of third place in League One with a 2-0 win at Shrewsbury. Another high energy performance from Adam even though the service into him wasn't great. An injury for City old boy Andrew Taylor here, hopefully not too serious. At the other end of the table, Deji Oshilaja returned from injury for Gillingham but a late winner gave Peterborough the three points. Stuart O'Keefe had a chance late on to win the game for MK Dons at Port Vale but it finished 0-0. Ben Wilson was on the bench for Rochdale.

An important 1-0 win for Plymouth at table-topping Doncaster today takes them thirteen points clear of fourth place in League 2. As with Bolton, the title isn't out of reach but securing promotion will be the first priority. A quiet game for Matty Kennedy but he's played his part in getting Plymouth into this position. At non-league level, Cinderford followed a midweek 4-2 win against a Frome side who turned up without their kit by losing 3-1 against Kettering yesterday. Jarrad Welch had put them ahead but then missed a chance at 1-1 which proved costly.

Welcome aboard the Loan Watch Express to Theo Wharton, who has joined Lloyd Humphries on loan at Weston-Super-Mare this week. Now 22, Theo made a promising debut for City as a sub against WBA in the FA Cup in early 2012. Malky said then that Theo had a big future ahead of him but, rather like Malky himself, his big future seems to be behind him now. As a City player at least. He only made one more appearance for us, as a sub in the shadow side that got beaten at Macclesfield in the following year's FA Cup. He should've come on at MK Dons in last season's League Cup but Russell Slade bottled it and put an injured Lee Peltier in central midfield instead.

I've no idea why Theo hasn't gone out on loan before now, he's only started one first team game in his career, an international for St Kitts and Nevis last year. He's a neat, tidy, busy player. Technically and positionally sound, rarely has a bad game but rarely stands out either. If he was a plumber, you'd be happy for him to sort out your sinks and toilet but you wouldn't fancy him to install a central heating system. He's joined Weston at a difficult time, they've now lost six league games in a row in March (having lost eleven in a row earlier in the season). Theo came on in the 44th minute but it was Humphries who had the chance to put Weston ahead in the second half, things slipped away after his miss and they lost 3-1.

Congratulations to former players Scott Malone and David Forde who both made their respective leagues' Team of the Season this week, Malone in the Championship and Forde in League 2 (he's Portsmouth's keeper). Goals in the week for Conor McAleny and Jon Parkin. Parkin has also helped York to make the FA Trophy Final on May 22nd, having beaten Lincoln in the semi-final. (The final is played at Wembley on the same day as the FA Vase Final between South Shields and Cleethorpes. Loan Watch was slightly surprised to find that one of South Shields' semi-final goals was scored by Julio Arca). An excellent solo goal for Wilfried Zaha in Russia for the Ivory Coast this week. A belated mention for Rudi Gestede and Javi Guerra who both scored for their clubs last Sunday.

Plenty of former player action at Barnet yesterday as they beat Cheltenham 3-1. Former youngsters David Tutonda and Luke Coulson both started but manager (head coach) Kevin Nugent is the main talking point for now. Fans aren't happy with both results and the style of play at present, yesterday's performance was poor again even though Nugent finally got his first win. Long balls aimlessly kicked upfield despite a swirling wind and big Cheltenham centre-backs. It makes you wonder, if Nugent is playing basic, old-fashioned, ineffective football now he's in charge, who on earth did he serve his apprenticeship under as an assistant manager?

Class, as always. Many thanks.

Superb as always!

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Do you think Sky would show Belgian play-off if/when it meant enticing TOBW back?
    Sky aren't showing the Belgian play-offs?

From his comment on here last week I'm beginning to wonder if TOBW is even interested anyway. He refused to sign the 'Bring Etien Home' petition too, he seems to be losing his way a bit lately.

"Hi Loramski and staff,

James."

Football is an ever evolving game , when I sad Gunnarson was poor he was shocking. Warnock has somehow miraculously revived his career and he has been phenomenal this season , bravo Gunnarson, I am a supporter not a critic so I love it.
    I missed the first shoots of Zohore emerging as a football player, his turnaround has been even more spectacular. I would pay my money just to watch him most weeks. He will be gone for 10 million in the summer... The thing with Zohore is he hasnt just appeared from no where , he had a bit of pedigree but looked like he would be one of those lazy, bad attitude player who never realised their potential. Read between the lines.

Scottish football has got its problems, if you live in Scotland its what is readily available. Heres a thought though, there is no money in Scottish football so it is a bit more grass roots, its what I was brought up on, something you need to drop down to league one or be a very very poor championship side to find in English football. The premier league is gorging itself on money , the better championship clubs are like starving money wolves desperate to get to the premier league to satiate their hunger for money.
    The football can be brilliant to watch but somehow it all feels a bit wrong to me , football has moved on and I am struggling to give it my 100% support.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    Football is an ever evolving game , when I sad Gunnarson was poor he was shocking. Warnock has somehow miraculously revived his career and he has been phenomenal this season , bravo Gunnarson, I am a supporter not a critic so I love it.
    I missed the first shoots of Zohore emerging as a football player, his turnaround has been even more spectacular. I would pay my money just to watch him most weeks. He will be gone for 10 million in the summer... The thing with Zohore is he hasnt just appeared from no where , he had a bit of pedigree but looked like he would be one of those lazy, bad attitude player who never realised their potential. Read between the lines.

Scottish football has got its problems, if you live in Scotland its what is readily available. Heres a thought though, there is no money in Scottish football so it is a bit more grass roots, its what I was brought up on, something you need to drop down to league one or be a very very poor championship side to find in English football. The premier league is gorging itself on money , the better championship clubs are like starving money wolves desperate to get to the premier league to satiate their hunger for money.
    The football can be brilliant to watch but somehow it all feels a bit wrong to me , football has moved on and I am struggling to give it my 100% support.
    Good post. What Warnock has done with a lot of players has been impressive but I wouldn't say he'd revived Gunnarsson's career, he seemed to be doing fine for Iceland. I think he was used badly by Slade (and then Trollope), had to do far too much babysitting for Whittingham who'd become undroppable because set-pieces were the only way we could score. I think Warnock has just used his common sense with him to be honest, in much the same way Mick McCarthy has with Tom Lawrence, and let him play to his strengths. I wouldn't say either have revived the players' careers but I would say Slade is an idiot.

Zohore's transformation has been incredible but you're right, you did miss the first shoots of that. He played right wing for the DVP team in November, I assumed it was just to give him a run out but the coach (Rowberry I think) worked him like a dog for 90 minutes, I was surprised at the attention he was being given. He got two goals then and two more next time out when we played a counter attacking game which obviously suited his pace. He was very clumsy both games and I didn't expect him to succeed but he'd worked his socks off and there was just enough there to make me scratch my head, especially as there weren't many alternatives up front. Great credit to Warnock but great credit to Zohore himself, he had the stomach for a fight and has obviously been prepared to listen too.

I agree with you about the state of football but we are where we are. I'm too addicted to give it up now. I was in Glasgow in September on the day of the Celtic/Rangers game. What surprised me a bit was that in the evening a Liverpool game was on TV and the pub was packed, lots of cheering when the Liverpool goals were going in too. Same the world over I guess but I wasn't expecting the Scots to care that much about English football, especially on Derby day. Is there a lot of disillusionment about the state of the Scottish game or is the passion still there?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39451310

Has Loan Watch Inc thought about going after the Chelsea account? Might be a money-spinner - just the 37 out on loan from there.

One of the players, Matej Delac, is 24, is on loan in the Belgium league. Admittedly, he's a goalie but if Chelsea are clinging onto them for this long maybe Theo Wharton could stay until he's about 28.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39451310

Has Loan Watch Inc thought about going after the Chelsea account? Might be a money-spinner - just the 37 out on loan from there.

One of the players, Matej Delac, is 24, is on loan in the Belgium league. Admittedly, he's a goalie but if Chelsea are clinging onto them for this long maybe Theo Wharton could stay until he's about 28.
    Oshilaja is 24 now too. Oddly, Delac comes up against Saadi tomorrow in the Belgian play-offs.

Looks like we dodged a bullet by not signing Islam Feruz, he still hasn't scored for anyone. Not your everyday Wiki page, well worth a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_Feruz

Oshilaja is 24 now too. Oddly, Delac comes up against Saadi tomorrow in the Belgian play-offs.

Looks like we dodged a bullet by not signing Islam Feruz, he still hasn't scored for anyone. Not your everyday Wiki page, well worth a read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_Feruz
    That Islam Feruz already seems like someone who is going to waste his talent.
    Possibly the kind of guy who needs to feel like the main man at a club before he is bothered to try like a koumas or a bothroyd