+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is intelligence a handicap in football ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Is intelligence a handicap in football ?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Lampard will be another poster boy for Theresa May's Barmy Army soon. Like Sol Campbell! Smart, conformist and self-serving.
    And privately educated

Also:

Other bright sparks include Steve Heighway (economics), Slaven Bilic (law), Shaka Hislop (mechanical engineering), Iain Dowie (Masters in engineering), Steve Coppell (economics) and Richard Hinds (law, Open University), Arsène Wenger (economics), Gudni Bergsson (law) and Oliver Bierhoff (economics).

https://www.theguardian.com/football...allers-degrees

Also:

Other bright sparks include Steve Heighway (economics), Slaven Bilic (law), Shaka Hislop (mechanical engineering), Iain Dowie (Masters in engineering), Steve Coppell (economics) and Richard Hinds (law, Open University), Arsène Wenger (economics), Gudni Bergsson (law) and Oliver Bierhoff (economics).

Socrates (the Brazilian one) was a medical doctor.

Also:

I don't think having a degree means you are particularly intelligent. I would be more impressed if you could find a very good player who was a member of Mensa or who won The Krypton Factor. In that maze test I mentioned above would you trust Dowie or Coppell more than yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by David Vincent View Post
    I don't think having a degree means you are particularly intelligent. I would be more impressed if you could find a very good player who was a member of Mensa or who won The Krypton Factor. In that maze test I mentioned above would you trust Dowie or Coppell more than yourself?
    Does solving a puzzle make people intelligent?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Does solving a puzzle make people intelligent?
    Do you mean if you do a lot of puzzles will you become intelligent? No, I don't think so. I would guess that your IQ is probably determined by genes. Some experts say there is no such thing as intelligence and IQ testing is nonsense. To me that just goes against common sense. But I'm not very clever so I might be wrong.

If you mean is solving puzzles a sign of intelligence then I would say yes unless the puzzles come from The Sun.

Do you mean if you do a lot of puzzles will you become intelligent? No, I don't think so. I would guess that your IQ is probably determined by genes. Some experts say there is no such thing as intelligence and IQ testing is nonsense. To me that just goes against common sense. But I'm not very clever so I might be wrong.

If you mean is solving puzzles a sign of intelligence then I would say yes unless the puzzles come from The Sun.
    There's lots of different types of intelligence. IQ tests don't test all of them.

But I'm just interested why you said doing a degree isn't a sign of intelligence while your OP uses solving a single puzzle as its example of being very intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    There's lots of different types of intelligence. IQ tests don't test all of them.

But I'm just interested why you said doing a degree isn't a sign of intelligence while your OP uses solving a single puzzle as its example of being very intelligent.
    Firms like Google and Microsoft often choose job candidates based on their answers to puzzles. If in my maze example you had the chance to set the other person a puzzle to test their intelligence or you could assess their intelligence by their class and type of degree which would you choose? You can bluff and cheat your way through university and get a degree. You can get a degree in most subjects by working very hard if you are not very bright. But I would guess that some puzzles if they have not been seen before can only be done if you are very intelligent. By the way, when that spiked ball is coming towards you in the maze you would not consider things like emotional intelligence as real intelligence. You just want someone with enough brain power to solve the puzzle.

Feedback

The IQ test is predominantly mathematical and logical in nature. intelligence comes in many forms, some of which aren't based on logic, the ability to speak multiple languages is a case in point.

puzzle solving generally relies upon learning techniques, the rubiks' cube, as has been mentioned, is a good example. It is quite easy to solve when you know the various algorithms. solving the rubik's cube doesn't make you any more intelligent than someone who cannot solve it.

I'm pretty sure most people would class someone with a Law/Economics degree as intelligent

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm pretty sure most people would class someone with a Law/Economics degree as intelligent
    I've met plenty of lawyers who I've been profoundly unimpressed with their level of intelligence, but they do seem to have high status.