+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Scott Coughlan on trial at Hull

Scott Coughlan on trial at Hull

Another young player on his way as part of the youth clear out under Bellamy - hopefully with a successful trial at Hull and a contract:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/27...l-scott-cough/

Re: Scott Coughlan on trial at Hull

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Another young player on his way as part of the youth clear out under Bellamy - hopefully with a successful trial at Hull and a contract:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/27...l-scott-cough/
    In all fairness to the lad, who could resist the lure of Hull?

I always thought Coughlan looked one of our better goalkeeping prospects of recent year and the fact that a Premier League side are prepared to give him a chance says that he's still got a chance of making it if we don't offer him a new deal.

Millwall are above in the Under 23 league, so I hope the result stands after the punch up which got the game abandoned.

I see grange_end1927 is up to his usual odd behaviour - of stealing someone else's words and passing them off as his own! Bizarre.

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/vi...p?f=2&t=183330

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I see grange_end1927 is up to his usual odd behaviour - of stealing someone else's words and passing them off as his own! Bizarre.

http://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/vi...p?f=2&t=183330
    I think the comment in that thread is valid-ie Premier League clubs can take players from lower lever clubs on trial without permission but have to pay compensation if they offer them a contract.ToBW may be able to confirm or deny this -bizarre situation is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPYS DEN View Post
    I think the comment in that thread is valid-ie Premier League clubs can take players from lower lever clubs on trial without permission but have to pay compensation if they offer them a contract.ToBW may be able to confirm or deny this -bizarre situation is correct.
    Category one Academy clubs are free to take players off teams lower down the ladder for much lower fees than previously in the way that Man City did with Rabbi Matondo, but although Hull are in the Premier League, they're a category two Academy club like us, so I don't believe they could act in the way you describe.

I may be wrong, but my feeling is that Scott Coughlan is one of those Under 18 team regulars from before Christmas who have been told they are free to try and find another club. I can't say for certain that Coughlan has not played since Christmas, but George Ratcliffe has become the number one keeper in 2017 and, although I'm not saying that he is responsible for the number of matches that have been lost since the holiday break, Ratcliffe has let in an awful lot of goals as defeat has followed defeat for the Under 18s (they were beaten again, by 2-0 at Watford, yesterday). Under normal circumstances, you would expect a keeper letting so many goals in to be under pressure for his place, but I'd say Ratcliffe is one of a group of very young players who the club hope will develop in the next couple of seasons after a very testing introduction to Under 18 level football.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Category one Academy clubs are free to take players off teams lower down the ladder for much lower fees than previously in the way that Man City did with Rabbi Matondo, but although Hull are in the Premier League, they're a category two Academy club like us, so I don't believe they could act in the way you describe.

I may be wrong, but my feeling is that Scott Coughlan is one of those Under 18 team regulars from before Christmas who have been told they are free to try and find another club. I can't say for certain that Coughlan has not played since Christmas, but George Ratcliffe has become the number one keeper in 2017 and, although I'm not saying that he is responsible for the number of matches that have been lost since the holiday break, Ratcliffe has let in an awful lot of goals as defeat has followed defeat for the Under 18s (they were beaten again, by 2-0 at Watford, yesterday). Under normal circumstances, you would expect a keeper letting so many goals in to be under pressure for his place, but I'd say Ratcliffe is one of a group of very young players who the club hope will develop in the next couple of seasons after a very testing introduction to Under 18 level football.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhiw-Blue View Post
    In all fairness to the lad, who could resist the lure of Hull?
    So very true - Hull is the 2017 City of Culture.

Finger on the pulse there!

There have been so many young keepers who are though of well at a very young age , that dont seem to go prosper once in their mid 20's its a strange one , where you do see keepers maturing into better players later in their careers, it could be that as a keeper or a defender the more mature you become so does your wider understanding of the the game and the skill required .