+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily Mail surpasses itself.

Daily Mail surpasses itself.

I was out shopping this morning and saw the front page of the Daily Mail. People like me who believe there is a valid point behind political correctness when it's not taken too far are an endangered species these days (or it sometimes feels like that), so, when I saw this story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39416554

I did think "don't overreact, it's probably not as bad as you think it is - the story was written by a woman (David Gove's wife I believe) after all".

So, I'm so glad that it's now getting a barage of criticism from some sources that would hardly be called bastions of political correctness - I suppose that the Mail are getting the attention they want, but I think this might turn out to be a case where the adage about any publicity being good publicity is proved wrong.

Feedback

Re: Daily Mail surpasses itself.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I was out shopping this morning and saw the front page of the Daily Mail. People like me who believe there is a valid point behind political correctness when it's not taken too far are an endangered species these days (or it sometimes feels like that), so, when I saw this story

I did think "don't overreact, it's probably not as bad as you think it is - the story was written by a woman (David Gove's wife I believe) after all".

So, I'm so glad that it's now getting a barage of criticism from some sources that would hardly be called bastions of political correctness - I suppose that the Mail are getting the attention they want, but I think this might turn out to be a case where the adage about any publicity being good publicity is proved wrong.
    what is wrong with it? who says we should only judge a person based on their deeds or actions? its hardly sexist to make a comment about women's legs. at what point is the article suggesting women are somehow inferior to men and therefore deserve to be treated differently?

BTW I think you will find women are very critical of other women, more so than men are. If women don't have the right accoutrements, women can really be bitchy about it...

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post
    what is wrong with it? who says we should only judge a person based on their deeds or actions? its hardly sexist to make a comment about women's legs. at what point is the article suggesting women are somehow inferior to men and therefore deserve to be treated differently?

BTW I think you will find women are very critical of other women, more so than men are. If women don't have the right accoutrements, women can really be bitchy about it...
    Yeah, I suppose I'm over reacting, after all there's always similar type stories appearing when two male political leaders are photographed together.

Quote Originally Posted by TISS View Post

Seriously?

Yeah, I suppose I'm over reacting, after all there's always similar type stories appearing when two male political leaders are photographed together.
    Read less crap news then?

Blue in the Face

I did think "don't overreact, it's probably not as bad as you think it is - the story was written by a woman (Michael Gove's wife I believe) after all".

No this does venture into seriously bad taste....

I can't believe a woman would marry Michael Gove.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 28-03-17 at 11:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    No this does venture into seriously bad taste....

I can't believe a woman would marry Michael Gove.

Sarah Vine is a total minger though.

You raise a serious point Bob, and getting back to the article I think Nicola just edged it, although Theresa does have foxy eyes. In saying that, I just want to make it clear that I wouldn't be up for anything more than a quick glance. Keep up the good work Bob

On that BBC page you linked there's a mock-up of what it would be like if it were male politicians in place of the ladies and really, it doesn't look out of place and nobody would bat an eye at it.

This isn't sexism and the most offensive thing about it is the fact they considered it front-page-worthy.
    Last edited by Colonel Cærdiffi; 28-03-17 at 11:43.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Seriously?
    Why not? Explain the sexism? The article was written by a woman for women. Or do some of us men assume all articles are written for the male reader only?

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    You raise a serious point Bob, and getting back to the article I think Nicola just edged it, although Theresa does have foxy eyes. In saying that, I just want to make it clear that I wouldn't be up for anything more than a quick glance. Keep up the good work Bob

Of course it's a rag and pretty moronic people actually got to the shop to buy it.
    One has to expect though Bob that posting something like this on here was always going to bring a little extra to the table.
    I'm just waiting for the "I'd do the pair of them" post

Feedback

Can you explain the sexism please? Your response is wanting in that area.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

Of course it's a rag and pretty moronic people actually got to the shop to buy it.
    One has to expect though Bob that posting something like this on here was always going to bring a little extra to the table.
    Together for double bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I wouldn't go anywhere near that Theresa May abomination of a human. The prospect of a 3 way fumble with Nicola and our Leanne though, that'd be another story.

I think I'd rather dig up Thatcher than have a go at May.

I'd probably get more warmth.

Even more amazing is some people, including on here, think there's nothing wrong with it and probably think it's worth putting on a front page.

Anyone thinking that comparing two sets of legs on the front page of a newspaper is fine and more newsworthy than anything else isn't worth debating with.

But what stands out here are the legs – and the vast expanse on show. There is no doubt that both women consider their pins to be the finest weapon in their physical arsenal. Consequently, both have been unsheathed.

May’s famously long extremities are demurely arranged in her customary finishing-school stance – knees tightly together, calves at a flattering diagonal, feet neatly aligned. It’s a studied pose that reminds us that for all her confidence, she is ever the vicar’s daughter, always respectful and anxious not to put a foot wrong.

Sturgeon’s shorter but undeniably more shapely shanks are altogether more flirty, tantalisingly crossed, with the dominant leg pointing towards her audience.

Sturgeon’s shorter but undeniably more shapely shanks are altogether more flirty, tantalisingly crossed, with the dominant leg pointing towards her audience +6
    Sturgeon’s shorter but undeniably more shapely shanks are altogether more flirty, tantalisingly crossed, with the dominant leg pointing towards her audience
    It’s a direct attempt at seduction: her stiletto is not quite dangling off her foot, but it could be. ‘Come, succumb to my revolutionary allure,’ she seems to be saying. ‘You know you want to.’
    The article doesn't​ get any better tbh.

As a society we have made a huge amount of progress with regards to equality of the sexes from a legal point of view, by there are still areas where people's attitudes towards men or women are very much not equal, myself included at times, and that's a much harder thing to change. But i think it will with time.

Women are far more judged for their appearance than men. Especially by other women. In my work the males are predominantly scruffy engineers and if they turn up looking like a hobo then people just seem to treat them like an eccentric. The women are mostly immaculately turned out and the ones who aren't don't seem to progress as far in their careers.

You're getting worked up about nothing,along with everybody else.
    Don't worry the PC brigade will have women covered head to toe before long so as not to offend

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gillis View Post
    You're getting worked up about nothing,along with everybody else.
    Don't worry the PC brigade will have women covered head to toe before long so as not to offend
    Which is it, then?

sturgeon 1.jpg
    sturgeon 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Which is it, then?

sturgeon 1.jpg
    sturgeon 2.jpg
    What?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    Even more amazing is some people, including on here, think there's nothing wrong with it and probably think it's worth putting on a front page.

Anyone thinking that comparing two sets of legs on the front page of a newspaper is fine and more newsworthy than anything else isn't worth debating with.
    Has anyone said nonsense such as this should be on the front page?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The article doesn't​ get any better tbh.

As a society we have made a huge amount of progress with regards to equality of the sexes from a legal point of view, by there are still areas where people's attitudes towards men or women are very much not equal, myself included at times, and that's a much harder thing to change. But i think it will with time.

Women are far more judged for their appearance than men. Especially by other women. In my work the males are predominantly scruffy engineers and if they turn up looking like a hobo then people just seem to treat them like an eccentric. The women are mostly immaculately turned out and the ones who aren't don't seem to progress as far in their careers.
    Ever seen an article concerning a bare chested Putin and the stereotypical Russian male that he personifies...

A bunch of fat ugly old white men in ccmb trying to say wha women find demeaning and that they're the worst for it, quel surprise!

It's definitely sexist ffs, read the article for a start. Trying to make something about 2 of the most powerful people in the country all about their looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    A bunch of fat ugly old white men in ccmb trying to say wha women find demeaning and that they're the worst for it, quel surprise!

It's definitely sexist ffs, read the article for a start. Trying to make something about 2 of the most powerful people in the country all about their looks.
    If they weren't powerful, would it be sexist?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post

Racist, sexist, ageist.

Reported.