+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Whittingham and Manga asked to take pay cuts

Whittingham and Manga asked to take pay cuts

Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock says his two top earners, Peter Whittingham and Bruno Manga, have been asked to take pay cuts to remain at the club. Both players are out of contract in the summer and neither has yet has signed the reduced terms on offer.

Warnock said he was keen to hold onto both players, but says he needs to reduce the club's wage bill. "We spoke with Peter about a compromise contract and I spoke to Manga about a compromised contract," said Warnock.
    Full Article

Can't see Manga hanging around for less dolla dolla, but is there a chance Whitts will be up for a "hometown discount"?
    Last edited by celticknight; 31-03-17 at 13:05.

Re: Whittingham and Manga asked to take pay cuts

No chance Manga agrees. Why would he?. He can play at a higher level.

I could see Whittingham agreeing.

Peter Whittingham has been at Cardiff City for more than a decade.
    Cardiff City boss Neil Warnock says his two top earners, Peter Whittingham and Bruno Manga, have been asked to take pay cuts to remain at the club.

Both players are out of contract in the summer and neither has yet has signed the reduced terms on offer.

Warnock said he was keen to hold onto both players, but says he needs to reduce the club's wage bill.

"We spoke with Peter about a compromise contract and I spoke to Manga about a compromised contract," said Warnock.

Warnock admitted talks had effectively stalled with the pair, but the 'compromise contracts' were necessary to bring the club in line with Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations.

"He (Whittingham) can't be on the contract he's on now. Like Manga he's one of the top earners at the club," the manager explained.

"We had discussions earlier on (with Whittingham), we couldn't quite reach an agreement as such.

"Things have changed slightly in the fact with the FFP, we had a meeting a few weeks ago and we should know about that next week.

"I've had to have a meeting planning out next season about what I'm looking for, how many players I'm looking for, the cost and how we can fund that without aggravating this FFP rule and regulations."

Warnock says he hopes the players will be enticed to stay because they are comfortable in their surroundings.

"I've spoken to Manga as well, we'll be deciding what we're doing as soon as we know what figures they are and we can see how we can manage it," he said.

"We can't sustain the wages he's on, but he's enjoying himself and I've said to him he's had good money from the club for a few years, will he enjoy it wherever else he goes? He's enjoying it here.

"He's part of my plans at the minute and I've said to him 'let's see how you go between now and the end of the season' and I think if he enjoys it he might accept the reduced contract."

Kadeem Harris is another Cardiff player Warnock is also negotiating with about a new contract.

The Bluebirds have eight games of the Championship season left and are seemingly safe from relegation after reaching 51 points with a 3-1 win over Ipswich before the international break.

They head to Molineux on Saturday to face a Wolves side still seeking points to secure their own Championship status next term.

However, Warnock has troubles in attack ahead of the trip to the Black Country.

Top-scorer Kenneth Zohore is doubtful with a tear to his calf and ex-England striker Rickie Lambert is also sidelined.

"Kenneth Zohore was the biggest worry," Warnock said. "What we don't want to do is make it worse."

I'm surprised he's offered WHitts a new deal, all be at a reduced wage. He just doesn't strike me as a warnock player, Id be surprised if he doesn't get a better deal elsewhere in my opinion. Maybe back at Villa ?

Those two players must be dead chuffed that their proposed cut is salary is being publicised.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Those two players must be dead chuffed that their proposed cut is salary is being publicised.
    Politics at its best , I guess both have had offers on the table for a while , guess nothing is happening , NW and the club should be allowed to plan for next year , so lets get NW honest comment out there ,nothing like exposure, in reality they need them gone .

Manga is good but he needs to play

2010– 2014 Lorient 118 appearances
    2014– 2017 Cardiff City 67 appearances

Money v playing time poor, good player yes , good value nope, can we do well without him , probably bye .

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post
    No chance Manga agrees. Why would he?. He can play at a higher level.

I could see Whittingham agreeing.
    What level might that be then??

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post

Oh, c'mon ... it's common knowledge that both of these are the highest earners at the club and that they'd be looking at reduced terms if they signed any new contract. Warnock is not telling us anything we didn't already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_Flock_of_Five View Post
    Oh, c'mon ... it's common knowledge that both of these are the highest earners at the club and that they'd be looking at reduced terms if they signed any new contract. Warnock is not telling us anything we didn't already know.
    How is it common knowledge?

What? Those two are on more conkers than the slug with a sick note from Scouse land?

As far as Manga goes it's win / win. If he turns the contract down then we've cut the wage bill, and if he stays then we've got a player that could easily get a move to a big club, but has taken a pay cut to stay and play for City. That's got to go down well with the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    As far as Manga goes it's win / win. If he turns the contract down then we've cut the wage bill, and if he stays then we've got a player that could easily get a move to a big club, but has taken a pay cut to stay and play for City. That's got to go down well with the fans.
    There are one or two problems with your thinking? Firstly if he leaves we write off a £5m purchase and secondly if he was going to get a move to a "bigger" club it would have happened by now. For the last three years he has been touted by his agent without success. No what we are actually looking at is a player who cost us £5m plus agents fees and has been earning a reputed £25k a year for three seasons during which he has made 67 appearances , not starts and will walk away in the summer for nowt........

Quote Originally Posted by chepstow View Post
    There are one or two problems with your thinking? Firstly if he leaves we write off a £5m purchase and secondly if he was going to get a move to a "bigger" club it would have happened by now. For the last three years he has been touted by his agent without success. No what we are actually looking at is a player who cost us £5m plus agents fees and has been earning a reputed £25k a year for three seasons during which he has made 67 appearances , not starts and will walk away in the summer for nowt........
    ...... £25k a week!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fine Lines View Post
    I'm surprised he's offered WHitts a new deal, all be at a reduced wage. He just doesn't strike me as a warnock player, Id be surprised if he doesn't get a better deal elsewhere in my opinion. Maybe back at Villa ?
    Can't see him going back to Villa. I could see him dropping down a division. He could be a real difference maker to a team trying to play their way up the league.

Well clearly from a value for money point of view it hasn't been a great transfer, but we've become used to that over the last few years with the amount of terminated contracts we've seen. But I'm talking about what NW has to deal with now. If he signs then great, we've got a quality, albeit injury prone centre half, if he goes, it frees up substantial wages.

How would the club be writing off a £5m purchase? His contract is up. It may not have been a good value signing but there is no writing off involved - not in any sense. Barry is right on this - either the club has a major savings in wages to reinvest, or it has a good player on a long contract and affordable wages.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    How would the club be writing off a £5m purchase? His contract is up. It may not have been a good value signing but there is no writing off involved - not in any sense. Barry is right on this - either the club has a major savings in wages to reinvest, or it has a good player on a long contract and affordable wages.
    Oh we are so lucky to have a major saving in wages or a good player on affordable wages .......ffs!!
    The guy cost £5m plus agents fees and earned £25k a week for 67 appearnces?
    Thats a total of £8.75m or a nice cool £131,000 per game he played in......
    We are a basket club

Oh we are so lucky to have a major saving in wages or a good player on affordable wages .......ffs!!
    We are a basket club
    Don't knock it, this lot seem to do ok

http://www.basket-fabregues.com

We are a basket club
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Don't knock it, this lot seem to do ok

http://www.basket-fabregues.com
    I prefer these guys