+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 2026 world cup

2026 world cup

South America got a bit screwed by FIFA
    Conmebol gets 6 teams, concacaf also gets 6 teams and they only have 10 total!

Not sure who the 6th best concacaf nation are, but willing to bet they're a lot worse than the 7th or 8th best south American side.

Re: 2026 world cup

Ecuador or Paraguay historically probably, definitely better than the 4th best in CONCACAF, which is one of Honduras or Trinidad and Tobago I'd guess

Seems harsh, but assuming South America continue to qualify from one group of 10, then qualification would become silly with 7 or so teams qualifying. Whereas there are 35 nations in CONCACAF, and a clear top 3 of Costa Rica, USA and Mexico normally, so if anything it'll make the qualification process here more exciting.

Oh can't wait for this turgid affair of international football

They should play all the groups outside of the world cup
    Just put on quarters , semis and final
    Get rid of that stupid 3rd place position
    No prize money
    Trail all new modern rules and technology
    Make top FIFA positions as a voluntary one only .
    Any profit generated given to the poor of the country, it has occupied, as a real legacy .

This is based on the current rankings

CONCACAF qualifiers would be: Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama, Honduras and Haiti
    African qualifiers: Egypt, Senegal, Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Tunisia, DR Congo, Nigeria and Ghana
    Asian qualifiers: Iran, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, UAE and Qatar
    Oceania qualifier: New Zealand (That's banking on them not doing what Australia did, if they do, we could be seeing the football powerhouse of Tahiti at the World Cup)
    South American qualifiers: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Uruguay and Peru
    European qualifiers: Germany, Belgium, France, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Wales, Poland, England, Italy, Croatia, Netherlands, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Slovakia and Turkey

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally can't wait to see Uzbekistan v Burkina Faso at the World Cup

(Obviously this doesn't include the six-team playoff for the last two spots, which I imagine will be contested by San Marino and Djibouti)
    Last edited by City123; 31-03-17 at 14:54.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

CONCACAF qualifiers would be: Mexico, Costa Rica, USA, Panama, Honduras and Haiti
    African qualifiers: Egypt, Senegal, Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Tunisia, DR Congo, Nigeria and Ghana
    Asian qualifiers: Iran, South Korea, Japan, Australia, Saudi Arabia, Uzbekistan, UAE and Qatar
    Oceania qualifier: New Zealand (That's banking on them not doing what Australia did, if they do, we could be seeing the football powerhouse of Tahiti at the World Cup)
    European qualifiers: Germany, Belgium, France, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Wales, Poland, England, Italy, Croatia, Netherlands, Iceland, Republic of Ireland, Slovakia and Turkey

I don't know about anyone else, but I personally can't wait to see Uzbekistan v Burkina Faso at the World Cup

(Obviously this doesn't include the six-team playoff for the last two spots, which I imagine will be contested by San Marino and Djibouti)
    People scoffed at the likes of Cameroon taking part in 1990. And Costa Rica in 2014. It could make it more entertaining although, to be honest, with wall to wall football 12 months of the year a tournament with 76-88 matches (mostly dead rubbers) is sounding like a bore-fest and over indulgence.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post

I think they should combine north and south American qualifiers and give them 12 places see how many north American teams get there

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think they should combine north and south American qualifiers and give them 12 places see how many north American teams get there
    Makes sense to me.

How about if every fourth world cup, qualification was conducted on a global basis, 20 odd groups of 8. It'd give some smaller teams the opportunity​of something a bit different every 16 years

How about if every fourth world cup, qualification was conducted on a global basis, 20 odd groups of 8. It'd give some smaller teams the opportunity​of something a bit different every 16 years
    Non-regional? The problem is, as we would have suspected of the FAW in the 80s, many associations would struggle to justify the costs of flying. American Samoa travelling to Kuwait for a qualifier having lost already in Mexico and Angola - chances are they would withdraw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    Non-regional? The problem is, as we would have suspected of the FAW in the 80s, many associations would struggle to justify the costs of flying. American Samoa travelling to Kuwait for a qualifier having lost already in Mexico and Angola - chances are they would withdraw.
    I'm sure even American Samoa can stretch to a few return flights every 16 years

I'm sure even American Samoa can stretch to a few return flights every 16 years
    A squad of 23 players. Managers. Coaches. You won't get a direct flight from American Samoa to Djibouti. Probably cost 5k per person just to fly to some destinations. Plus it could take a number of days to get there. Unless a plane is chartered! Then 3 days later, it's a back to back fixture involving a trip from Djibouti to Columbia. Or home to Estonia.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    A squad of 23 players. Managers. Coaches. You won't get a direct flight from American Samoa to Djibouti. Probably cost 5k per person just to fly to some destinations. Plus it could take a number of days to get there. Unless a plane is chartered! Then 3 days later, it's a back to back fixture involving a trip from Djibouti to Columbia. Or home to Estonia.
    Maybe FIFA could stick a hand into those remarkably deep pockets of theirs

Bidding for 2026 World Cup not due to commence until 2020 because all of the corrupt shit that's currently going on.

So that means, essentially, it would have to take place in a country that already has a great deal of world class football grounds. There is no way a country such as Qatar would be able to get everything done within 5 years. We will see.

Potential bids are:
    - Joint USA/Canada/Mexico. Though in the light of recent politics, the latter may not want to join.
    - Joint Australia/New Zealand.
    - Joint Azerbaijan/Turkey.
    - Colombia.
    - England.
    - Morocco.
    - Kazakhstan.

Kazakhstan will probably get it

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Bidding for 2026 World Cup not due to commence until 2020 because all of the corrupt shit that's currently going on.

So that means, essentially, it would have to take place in a country that already has a great deal of world class football grounds. There is no way a country such as Qatar would be able to get everything done within 5 years. We will see.

Potential bids are:
    - Joint USA/Canada/Mexico. Though in the light of recent politics, the latter may not want to join.
    - Colombia.
    - England.
    - Morocco.
    - Kazakhstan.

Your 3 European options would be void as it won't be able to be Europe or Asia again within 8 years.
    Pretty convinced it'll be Australia tbh, but not sure how that works with them being affiliated to Asian Football now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Potential bids are:
    - Colombia.
    - England.
    - Morocco.
    - Kazakhstan.

He's leading the bid
    borat_855_18535194_0_0_12672_300_400x400.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by beef View Post
    Your 3 European options would be void as it won't be able to be Europe or Asia again within 8 years.
    Pretty convinced it'll be Australia tbh, but not sure how that works with them being affiliated to Asian Football now.
    You're correct, Australia belonging to Asian confederation would rule out their bid. Has to be Americas or Africa.

Stop the seeding pots and just have a draw for each group,then perhaps England for once will find themselves in a tough group

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Stop the seeding pots and just have a draw for each group,then perhaps England for once will find themselves in a tough group
    I think seeding is ok for qualifiers. Far better to see Germany and Spain (or whoever) trying to knock each other out of a WC semifinal than out of a qualifying group of death.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    I think seeding is ok for qualifiers. Far better to see Germany and Spain (or whoever) trying to knock each other out of a WC semifinal than out of a qualifying group of death.
    Imagine a group of Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, Portugal and Wales (top 6 UEFA countries). Group H consists of San Marino, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, Luxembourg, Faeroes and Andorra. With 2 qualifiers, Europe could be represented by the Faeroe Islands and Luxembourg.