+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Private fitms' parking tickets/notices

Private fitms' parking tickets/notices

The rules have definitely changed.

You have been warned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...ntral-39478203

Re: Private fitms' parking tickets/notices

No they have not. She acknowledged the contract. If you do not acknowledge the contract then she wouldn't have had to pay. Her defence was she thinks it's unenforceable. If she just said she didn't realise they HAD to be paid and formed a contract then she would have got away with it.

The judges wording clearly shows she has to pay because she had acknowledged the signage.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    No they have not. She acknowledged the contract. If you do not acknowledge the contract then she wouldn't have had to pay. Her defence was she thinks it's unenforceable. If she just said she didn't realise they HAD to be paid and formed a contract then she would have got away with it.

The judges wording clearly shows she has to pay because she had acknowledged the signage.

I think you may find that your wrong

The Rules have changed

They have, but if you do not see the signage then you could not be aware of any agreement.

If you read the judges wording it's clear she could have quite easily have got away without paying if her defense was not "she thought it was unenforceable".

When you park simply don't look at the signs. Viola.

I think the amount of the fines here has a lot to do with it.
    If you owe £25 it's probably not worth the risk to pursue it. For 18 grand it is

They have, but if you do not see the signage then you could not be aware of any agreement.

If you read the judges wording it's clear she could have quite easily have got away without paying if her defense was not "she thought it was unenforceable".

Viola??? Don't harp on about it

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I thought Scottish law is interpreted differently than English/Welsh law ?

Certainly in areas like selling houses it is, and if I remember correctly the laws of contract are different in Scotland than in the rest of the UK.

It is is still an invoice at the end of the day not a fine. If I were her I would appeal that it is was not a contract that she was aware of etc.

Fines have to paid , invoices do not and eventually it is up to the judge to decide.
    Hasn't the judge (OK - the sheriff) already decided?

This.

My missus works in a hospital where they dish out these 'notices' on a daily basis.

A few years back the people she works with found out that they didn't have to pay if they decided not to. Since then they've parked free on a daily basis and collectively received hundreds of these notices. Every single one has gone in the bin, along with the numerous letters they send asking for payment.

If you don't acknowledge them then they can't enforce them.

I think thought that was the case as well.

The technical bit being when is the contract formed ? , if you acknowledge it - then I would argue possibly the contract is formed then. But there are 6 conditions that make up a contract.

Could I for example stick a notice on my drive and say 'No Turning' and then video cars who are using it to turn around - and then send them an invoice ?. I could say I warned them with a notice, they chose to ignore my notice - so I am invoicing them.

Would that be allowed or not ?

I THINK THOUGHT, it might not.

I hereby declare that any further posters that post in this thread will be issued a £1000 fine.

Feedback

could a motorist put warning signs in their cars along the lines of

'test the stickiness of your parking notices on this car for a fee of £100 per day per parking notice. Applying a parking notice to this car is acceptance of our terms and conditions, available upon request'

Whilst visiting my local supermarket, I was disgusted to find the best parking spaces nearest the door are now reserved for so-called 'parent and child' parking. If supermarkets continue to set aside the best spaces for 'parent and child' parking, surely this will only encourage young, impressionable teenagers to get pregnant on purpose so as to take advantage of these spaces. It's no wonder our younger generation are in moral disarray, when supermarkets use 'alcopops' to entice youngsters into stores and provide premium parking spaces for teenage mothers.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    Whilst visiting my local supermarket, I was disgusted to find the best parking spaces nearest the door are now reserved for so-called 'parent and child' parking. If supermarkets continue to set aside the best spaces for 'parent and child' parking, surely this will only encourage young, impressionable teenagers to get pregnant on purpose so as to take advantage of these spaces. It's no wonder our younger generation are in moral disarray, when supermarkets use 'alcopops' to entice youngsters into stores and provide premium parking spaces for teenage mothers.

Ya, and other people will cut off their leg to get a disabled space near the door as well, it's disgraceful.

MOTORISTS. Park for free in any city centre by simply smashing all your windows, ripping out your stereo and attaching a 'Police Aware' sticker to your front windscreen. For longer term parking, burn your vehicle out for greater effect.

Was your own cars!! You lazy bastards.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Was your own cars!! You lazy bastards.
    Ha ha.

You now owe the colonel a grand mate.

I think thought that was the case as well.

The technical bit being when is the contract formed ? , if you acknowledge it - then I would argue possibly the contract is formed then. But there are 6 conditions that make up a contract.

Could I for example stick a notice on my drive and say 'No Turning' and then video cars who are using it to turn around - and then send them an invoice ?. I could say I warned them with a notice, they chose to ignore my notice - so I am invoicing them.

Would that be allowed or not ?
    Yes, its your land. You could just as easily contract it out to one of these companies. The principle is exactly the same. Paying for using private land. You would need to prove they stopped there though.

I know someone who owns the road/pavements of the cul-de-sac where she lives. Had some interesting conversations along the lines of: "Please don't park outside my house". "Do you own that space then?". Well, yes!"

Could she employ a private firm(ie me) to put up parking notices along her road?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I know someone who owns the road/pavements of the cul-de-sac where she lives. Had some interesting conversations along the lines of: "Please don't park outside my house". "Do you own that space then?". Well, yes!"

Could she employ a private firm(ie me) to put up parking notices along her road?
    How does she manage that, it looks like the cul-de-sac would have been built on a non-adoptable basis, where the local residents have responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of said road, but that is very different from owning the road.

There can be cases where a private track on some land can be built, but then that isnt usually in a cul-de-sac or have other houses around it.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    How does she manage that, it looks like the cul-de-sac would have been built on a non-adoptable basis, where the local residents have responsibility for the upkeep and maintenance of said road, but that is very different from owning the road.

There can be cases where a private track on some land can be built, but then that isnt usually in a cul-de-sac or have other houses around it.
    I know plenty of people who think they own the road.

Usually white van and taxi drivers.

i park where i want. i get my mate to put false plates on when i go to town and never seen a ticket for about 2 year