+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 1080p video camera - using as a webcam for presentation, not very HD problem

Re: 1080p video camera - using as a webcam for presentation, not very HD problem

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I got a problem that (obviously) on people here can solve.

I have to do an online presentation. So I thought I could use my Panasonic HX-DC1 video cam - apparently it has 14 mega pixels and can record in HD. BUT when I use either camtasia or even microsoft movie maker it comes out distinctly low res.

I connect the camera up using USB2, enable it in the software - but when I try and record anything it is really really low res. Any ideas ? - a free video of the Mrs in her kit, who any solutions ?

Are you recording it live to your computer? USB 2 probably wouldn't have the bandwidth to record live onto your computer.

Having a quick look the max you can probably get is 480p. Using a lower frame rate would allow you to get a higher quality picture.

My 2 googles

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...itrate+1080p&*
    https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...b2+bandwidth&*

480mbit is 4.8mbps and that is an absolute maximum speed.

I would look at some different software.

Re: 1080p video camera - using as a webcam for presentation, not very HD problem

Just done a test - If I record me talking into the cam and it records on the memory card - and I then transfer it to the PC - it's pretty good quality - even with my ugly mug and Kaarrrdiffff accent on it.

So I guess youre correct - trying to record live from the camera to the PC using usb2 wont be good enough.
    The cam does have an hdmi out on it but even if I get a hdmi / usb converter - that will put me back to square 1.

I guess I need some sort of hdmi input on my PC ?
    HDMI Capture card - PCI
    If you have a free PCI slot in your PC. You should be able to get one of these for about 30 something.

The box I had was the Dazzle Video Creator - fairly old - so no HDMI :(

If I cant find one of the hdmi / pci capture cards on he cheap then I'll use the cam corder to video just me, then import that video into camtasia or movie maker from the mem card and do it that way instead
    That is probably the least hassle way for now. If its a regular thing, direct capture will save you time.