+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Smoking causes 1 in 10 deaths in the world...

Smoking causes 1 in 10 deaths in the world...

I can only assume they don't read the message on the side of the packet before they pay for them, keeps the alarming global population down though I suppose.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39510728

Re: Smoking causes 1 in 10 deaths in the world...

Smokers selflessly cough and splutter their way to an early death while so many others try to maximise their life expectancy by abstaining from nicotine, exercising and eating healthily. Those self-centred bastards want to cling on for as long as possible without caring about the extra strain an increasingly ageing population places on the Health and other public services, nor for the workers who have to toil to pay for them. As you implied, but for fag fans the world's population would be much higher than it is.

I smoke. I'm happy in the knowledge that each packet is heavily taxed because I will continue to puff for Britain. I'll go further, it's a patriotic duty. For any non-smokers who may read this: don't be fecking cheapskates, get some catarrh at the back of your throats! Soon you'll be producing some quality phlegm to be able to spit further than those who are determined to remain tightfisted.

Forget the taxation, the main benefit smokers give to the government is they mostly die before claiming much or any pension.

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    I can only assume they don't read the message on the side of the packet before they pay for them, keeps the alarming global population down though I suppose.
    There was a story some years ago, when health messages started appearing on packets.
    Many men, in shall we say the poorer areas of the world, demanded their "hwealthy" cigs back - you know, the ones without the warnings.
    Though they felt that a good compromise was only buying packets with "smoking may harm you unborn baby", as men don't get pregnant.

My father, a heavy smoker, was determined that I wouldn't follow in his footsteps. So when he caught me smoking at the age of twelve he forced me to eat an ashtray full of cigarette ends. It worked, I haven't smoked a cigarette since, although later in life I was thrown out of loads of pubs for going round the tables eating the contents of the ashtrays.

Quote Originally Posted by ian gibson View Post
    My father, a heavy smoker, was determined that I wouldn't follow in his footsteps. So when he caught me smoking at the age of twelve he forced me to eat an ashtray full of cigarette ends. It worked, I haven't smoked a cigarette since, although later in life I was thrown out of loads of pubs for going round the tables eating the contents of the ashtrays.

Seriously, my dad was a heavy smoker (untipped Woodbines, ffs) and he put me off by taking a drag and breathing out through a tissue.
    I still recall the sticky brown muck on that tissue.

He died of a heart attack, aged 52.

Something like 5 million people a year die from smoking, smoking is presumably more harmful than war?

Quote Originally Posted by elytillidie View Post
    Smokers are saving NHS and other institutions hundreds of thousands. Everyone should smoke more. then we wouldnt have people needing to be cared for at old age.

Smokers cost the NHS less than non-smokers according to recent reports. Based over a life-time.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    There was a story some years ago, when health messages started appearing on packets.
    Many men, in shall we say the poorer areas of the world, demanded their "hwealthy" cigs back - you know, the ones without the warnings.
    Though they felt that a good compromise was only buying packets with "smoking may harm you unborn baby", as men don't get pregnant.
    I have been playing top trumps with my fag packs. Building up a collection. Instead of ordering a brand I now order an illness. "Ill have a black heart" "Can I have a throat disease please"

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Something like 5 million people a year die from smoking, smoking is presumably more harmful than war?
    Presuming it is, would that make tobacco companies at worst health terrorists, and at best legalised purveyors of death? Of course this question ignores issues relating to consumers' freedom of choice along with personal responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Presuming it is, would that make tobacco companies at worst health terrorists, and at best legalised purveyors of death? Of course this question ignores issues relating to consumers' freedom of choice along with personal responsibility.
    Exactly, How many deaths are caused by people's choices poor or not.

Death my alcohol
    Death by gettting run over whilst reading a phone
    Death by pleasure seeking.

Should all deaths by "choice" be stopped? Clearly not.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Exactly, How many deaths are caused by people's choices poor or not.

Death my alcohol
    Death by gettting run over whilst reading a phone
    Death by pleasure seeking.

Should all deaths by "choice" be stopped? Clearly not.
    Thinly veiled "cocaine-fuelled sex heart attack" post imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Smokers selflessly cough and splutter their way to an early death while so many others try to maximise their life expectancy by abstaining from nicotine, exercising and eating healthily. Those self-centred bastards want to cling on for as long as possible without caring about the extra strain an increasingly ageing population places on the Health and other public services, nor for the workers who have to toil to pay for them. As you implied, but for fag fans the world's population would be much higher than it is.

I smoke. I'm happy in the knowledge that each packet is heavily taxed because I will continue to puff for Britain. I'll go further, it's a patriotic duty. For any non-smokers who may read this: don't be fecking cheapskates, get some catarrh at the back of your throats! Soon you'll be producing some quality phlegm to be able to spit further than those who are determined to remain tightfisted.
    Don't be a quitter.

'Addiction is a brain disorder characterized by compulsive engagement in rewarding stimuli, despite adverse consequences.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addiction
    'You don't mind if I smoke do you? I've got a brain disorder...' That about sums it up for me.

You have to be very thick indeed to smoke

Hearing my old man every morning coughing and spluttering was enough to put me off for life.
    Never tried it and don't see the need to. Needless to say, I have other vices...

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Hearing my old man every morning coughing and spluttering was enough to put me off for life.
    Never tried it and don't see the need to. Needless to say, I have other vices...
    Perv

It's the fekkers in workplaces that get me. Sneaking out every 15mins for a cancer stick. They are lazy, less productive, smelly shirkers generally

Quote Originally Posted by PerryJason View Post
    It's the fekkers in workplaces that get me. Sneaking out every 15mins for a cancer stick. They are lazy, less productive, smelly shirkers generally
    And I bet they don't was their own cars either

Perv
    a/s/l?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    And I bet they don't was their own cars either

Feedback

so you are 9 times more likely to die from not smoking as you are from smoking.

puff away I say, even better with the greens

You have to be very thick indeed to smoke
    you would have to be a lot thicker to be you

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    you would have to be a lot thicker to be you
    Says he who loves a bit of c@ckdirty fekker pm-ing to meet for bum fun!!

Dying due to heart failure. Isn't there a 100% chance of snuffing it that way?