+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selfish parent forced to take child on holidays during School Holidays

Selfish parent forced to take child on holidays during School Holidays

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39504338

"In her judgement, Lady Hale said it would cause unacceptable disruption if parents were able to withdraw children whenever they wanted.
    "Unauthorised absences have a disruptive effect, not only on the education of the individual child, but also on the work of other pupils, and of their teachers," she said.
    Allowing parents to decide when they took their children away would be a "slap in the face" to parents who kept the rules, said Lady Hale."
    Last edited by CCFCPhil; 06-04-17 at 13:52.

Re: Selfish parent forced to take child on holidays during School Holidays

Quote Originally Posted by CCFCPhil View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39504338

"In her judgement, Lady Hale said it would cause unacceptable disruption if parents were able to withdraw children whenever they wanted.
    "Unauthorised absences have a disruptive effect, not only on the education of the individual child, but also on the work of other pupils, and of their teachers," she said.
    Allowing parents to decide when they took their children away would be a "slap in the face" to parents who kept the rules, said Lady Hale."
    It is merely a way for schools to make money. The 60 fine is a lot less than the difference in the price of a holiday in term compared to out of term.

It is accepted that children attending around 90-95% of the time is perfectly acceptable, i mean children are going to be ill in these times.

This method was brought in for truant, if a child is persistently absent. The attendance drops below 80% a fine is issued, if the child starts attending for 1 week after the issue. the fine is dropped. However one weeks holiday lands you with an immediate fine that doesn't go away after regular attendance. So a family holiday is worse than truancy.

Bollocks to that, we've just booked a holiday in July and we have kids who will be 4 and 7 this year.
    I'm sure with so e intensive effort over the summer they'll be able to catch up the weeks worth of covering their uniforms in paint and glitter that seems to form the backbone of the curriculum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Bollocks to that, we've just booked a holiday in July and we have kids who will be 4 and 7 this year.
    I'm sure with so e intensive effort over the summer they'll be able to catch up the weeks worth of covering their uniforms in paint and glitter that seems to form the backbone of the curriculum.
    Makes me laugh when they issue these fines during June and July. Anyone who has been to school in the last 20 years know that kids do feck all for the last 6 weeks of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Makes me laugh when they issue these fines during June and July. Anyone who has been to school in the last 20 years know that kids do feck all for the last 6 weeks of school.
    Our eldest has exams in may, so we aren't going away before then, and i doubt we will do it in later years. Fortunately our school are pretty understanding, i you have over 92% attendance they will consider a request. We went last year in June and they were fine with it. I think some schools automatically reach for a fine these days as another source of income, as the usual funding is so poor.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    It is merely a way for schools to make money. The 60 fine is a lot less than the difference in the price of a holiday in term compared to out of term.

It is accepted that children attending around 90-95% of the time is perfectly acceptable, i mean children are going to be ill in these times.

This method was brought in for truant, if a child is persistently absent. The attendance drops below 80% a fine is issued, if the child starts attending for 1 week after the issue. the fine is dropped. However one weeks holiday lands you with an immediate fine that doesn't go away after regular attendance. So a family holiday is worse than truancy.
    Considering that an average kid may be off school 5% of the year, then adding to potential time off is a bit careless.

Interestingly, he claims schools/the state are interfering with his rights as a parent. I wonder if his employer refuses leave will he take them to court claiming that his rights are being infringed?

Whose effort is required for that? Your's or the teacher's?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    Anyone who has been to school in the last 20 years know that kids do feck all for the last 6 weeks of school.
    Not strictly true is it?

Our eldest has exams in may, so we aren't going away before then, and i doubt we will do it in later years. Fortunately our school are pretty understanding, i you have over 92% attendance they will consider a request. We went last year in June and they were fine with it. I think some schools automatically reach for a fine these days as another source of income, as the usual funding is so poor.
    My son's school was graded red largely because of poor attendance. Issuing fines has made a huge improvement. Further, my son's teacher told me during the parent's evening that the improvement in attendance has resulted in her having more time to teach. She estimated that, at times, she was spending 3-4 hours a week with the kids playing catch-up just so that their parents could subject them to harmful UV rays in the Costa Del Crap.

Whose effort is required for that? Your's or the teacher's?
    In theory ours, but as he's already doing work from the year above across all subjects I suspect he'll be fine.

It is merely a way for schools to make money.
    No it isn't. Schools have to meet certain targets, and if the general attendance drops below 95% they lose grading points. I agree though, £60 is not enough. It should be £60 per day per kid. A two week holiday would cost £1,200 in fines for a family with 2 kids. The schools could then employ someone to help the spoiled kids catch up with the kids who have responsible parents.

The root cause of the problem is the travel companies jacking up prices at school holiday times.

Maybe the government should do something about that but they won't because most of them send their kids
    to private schools which already have way longer holiday envelopes than state schools so they are less affected.

In theory ours, but as he's already doing work from the year above across all subjects I suspect he'll be fine.
    Good point, maybe kids with a good school record and grades could be rewarded with an extra few days off at the end of the school year, or the start of the next year?

My son's school was graded red largely because of poor attendance. Issuing fines has made a huge improvement. Further, my son's teacher told me during the parent's evening that the improvement in attendance has resulted in her having more time to teach. She estimated that, at times, she was spending 3-4 hours a week with the kids playing catch-up just so that their parents could subject them to harmful UV rays in the Costa Del Crap.
    But we are not talking about poor attendance though are we. We are still talking about children that attend over 90% of the school year.

I would prefer a system with dialogue between parents and teachers, over the lines of. I would like to take a week off because its best for me, the teacher then says a) this is an important time so i wouldn't think its for the best (ie exams, or important work), or b) yes that's fine his/her attendance is good. here is some school work to take.

Im fully behind fines for families who has attended dropping towards the 80% mark. Im fully behind helping teachers and schools. Children should be at school.

However fining children who have attendance over the 90% mark is simply raising cash.

The Welsh school gradings are a load of shite. Llanederyn high was in the green category whilst at the same time branded a failing school and closed down.

Attendance in general is important if course and if it gets bad can have a detrimental effect, fortunately our school has a sensible policy on it. Kids with 100% get prizes 92% and above and they'll usually agree to a week off

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales View Post
    The root cause of the problem is the travel companies jacking up prices at school holiday times.

Maybe the government should do something about that but they won't because most of them send their kids
    to private schools which already have way longer holiday envelopes than state schools so they are less affected.
    That's a market economy for you. Supply and demand. Plus, not taking your kids on holiday abroad - is it really that bad? It's a luxury, not a necessity

Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    No it isn't. Schools have to meet certain targets, and if the general attendance drops below 95% they lose grading points. I agree though, £60 is not enough. It should be £60 per day per kid. A two week holiday would cost £1,200 in fines for a family with 2 kids. The schools could then employ someone to help the spoiled kids catch up with the kids who have responsible parents.
    They've probably all got Kodi boxes too, the bastards.

But we are not talking about poor attendance though are we. We are still talking about children that attend over 90% of the school year.

I would prefer a system with dialogue between parents and teachers, over the lines of. I would like to take a week off because its best for me, the teacher then says a) this is an important time so i wouldn't think its for the best (ie exams, or important work), or b) yes that's fine his/her attendance is good. here is some school work to take.

Im fully behind fines for families who has attended dropping towards the 80% mark. Im fully behind helping teachers and schools. Children should be at school.

However fining children who have attendance over the 90% mark is simply raising cash.
    The problem is. as soon as schools give in to such demands, the floodgates are well and truly opened. How much effort is required for a teacher to bring a kid up to speed with other kids, having missed two weeks because his parents felt a sense of entitlement to a holiday?

Maybe kids with a 98% or above attendance could be rewarded with some extra days off for a holiday. If my attendance at work was 92%, I'd get a disciplinary. In fact, I had a disciplinary for having 2 periods of 3 days off in an 18 month period.

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    They've probably all got Kodi boxes too, the bastards.
    Are you always this irrelevant?

Schools could stagger their holidays.
    Instead of a block of 6 weeks they could have everyone off for the same 2 weeks in the summer, then fit in the other 4 weeks wherever they see fit throughout the year. This will ease the supply and demand issue with holidays.

Secondaries and feeder primarys would have to match their dates though obviously.

This was suggested by a teacher mate of mine who says that after 6 weeks off they've forgotten every ****ing thing they've just learned anyway.

Are you always this irrelevant?
    index.jpg

The problem is. as soon as schools give in to such demands, the floodgates are well and truly opened. How much effort is required for a teacher to bring a kid up to speed with other kids, having missed two weeks because his parents felt a sense of entitlement to a holiday?

Maybe kids with a 98% or above attendance could be rewarded with some extra days off for a holiday. If my attendance at work was 92%, I'd get a disciplinary. In fact, I had a disciplinary for having 2 periods of 3 days off in an 18 month period.
    You can book holidays at work, so the point is irrelevant. In a medium sized business with all of us with families all trying to get time off in a 6 week period is too difficult to schedule.

I havent had any term time holidays for the last 3 years, i just have smaller UK based vacations. However i do believe there should be an option there to book a weeks leave from school. At 4 and 7 i'm sure i could cover their work load for a week.

Maybe cut down the 6 weeks holiday to 4 weeks and give each child 2 weeks annual leave.

It's more Big Brother shite. Do as you're told, or else.

It would be nice to see the Welsh assembly take a lead on this, reduce the summer holidays to 2 weeks and then split the schools into 4 groups allocating them one of the weeks in June, July, October and September each.
    Numbers going away should be low enough not to push the prices up too much and they're wouldn't be a 6 week block of learning regression

my neighbous school does all there training days in one block instead of the odd day now and again so parents can take a week out in the term