+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Officials yesterday.

Officials yesterday.

Another reason why I was pleased about us winning yesterday was that it meant that what I was going to say in my blog piece about the ref and lino on the Ninian Stand side of the ground (I was too far away from the one on the Grandstand side to be able to judge how good or bad he was) would not come across as sore grapes.

As it turned out, I rabbited on too much about other things (as usual!) and I decided not to mention them. However, that doesn't mean that my attitude towards them had mellowed overnight - I still think they were both awful, particularly the ref who consistently applied different criteria when adjudging potential fouls by either side.

I get annoyed if a City player gets booked for the sort of thing which earned Hoilett his yellow card normally because it's so pointless, but I could completely understand the player's frustration in this case because referee Darren Bond was so inconsistent in his decision making - he's refereed us three times before (in our home games against Fulham and Brighton last season and Sheffield Wednesday this season) and I can't say he made much impression on me one way or another, so maybe yesterday was just a bad day for him, but I thought he was dreadful.

Re: Officials yesterday.

The linesman on the Grandstand side was as dreadful as the referee.Why do they always look to the referee before making a decision.

I thought the referee was poor as well,much too inconsistent and very petty. There were times when he could have let the game carry on, for both teams,but chose to give a free kick.

The worst referee we've had in 21 home league games by some distance. Gave us offside in our own half and then failed to book a Brentford player for chucking the ball away right in front of him. At least his dreadful performance wound up the crowd which seem to gee up the team.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    ...would not come across as sore grapes.
    Someone's going to have a feel day with that one.

The offside rule changed in the summer. The free kick is given where the offside player receives the ball not where he was when the ball was kicked to him. Zohore was offside in their half but ran back into our half to receive the ball.

I agree he was poor though. He booked Whitts first half when many other challenges were worse and allowed their right back to persistently foul throughout the match

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    The offside rule changed in the summer. The free kick is given where the offside player receives the ball not where he was when the ball was kicked to him. Zohore was offside in their half but ran back into our half to receive the ball.

I agree he was poor though. He booked Whitts first half when many other challenges were worse and allowed their right back to persistently foul throughout the match
    The law states:

When an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick from the position of the offending player when the ball was last played to him by one of his own team mates.

Last played to him surely means when he was in an offsidepositii. in the opponents half. I can never remember seeing a free kick being given for offside in your own half????

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    The law states:

When an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick from the position of the offending player when the ball was last played to him by one of his own team mates.

Last played to him surely means wh but i did not want to seem en he was in an offsidepositii. in the opponents half. I can never remember seeing a free kick being given for offside in your own half????

I was going to mention that but i did want to seem stupid

They were really poor.Several times Brentford clattered our guys, but the FK was awarded against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    The law states:

Last played to him surely means when he was in an offsidepositii. in the opponents half. I can never remember seeing a free kick being given for offside in your own half????

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
    I was going to mention that but i did want to seem stupid
    A woman teaching you the offside rule. How embarrassing!

I dont think he gave a free kick for offside. I think he gave it for a foul because he didn't seem to look at the linesman but he was still very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    A woman teaching you the offside rule. How embarrassing!
    It wont be the last time either

I think the standard of officials in the championship throughout the season has been poor. Saturday was one of the stand out ones though.
    Spedger

Quote Originally Posted by SOXY BOY View Post
    I dont think he gave a free kick for offside. I think he gave it for a foul because he didn't seem to look at the linesman but he was still very poor.
    Correct. Zohore was pulling the defender's shirt. The lino. flagged for offside [pointing his flag to the spot], but the ref gave the freekick for the foul, hence the kick being taken just inside our half...