+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Loan Watch (9/4)

Loan Watch (9/4)

Isn't there a lot of sport in April? Only a couple of weeks ago, during the international break, we were so bored in the Loan Watch office that we spent most of one day throwing darts at a picture of Ed Wood. Now we can't keep up with it all; the Belgian play-offs, the National, the Masters, Davis Cup, cricket's County Championship, Premier League etc etc. Champions League back this week, snooker World Championships too, the list goes on. I got so confused last week I ended up betting on Phil Mickelson to ride the winner in the National, Idriss Saadi to win the Masters and Glamorgan to beat Northants (I'm joking about the last one, I'm not that daft). We can't be far away from the time when April will have to be extended to thirty-five, maybe even forty, days so that all the sport can be fitted in. Days could easily be taken away from some of the more boring months, June and July for example. Not February though, that's short enough already.

Let's mix it up this week and start with a former player. Tom James finally made his first league start for Yeovil yesterday. It was a tough baptism for him in a struggling side as Portsmouth ran out comfortable 3-1 winners but Tom impressed manager Darren Way and hopefully he'll be able to establish himself in the starting line-up during the run-in. A first appearance for Tommy O'Sullivan at Colchester as he came on as a late sub in a 4-0 win against Stevenage. Tommy has been struggling with a knee injury since his move there but will now be looking to play a part as Colchester push for the play-offs.

Of our loan players, Stuart O'Keefe has had another good week. A goal in the midweek win over Charlton was nearly followed by another yesterday as MK Dons were unlucky to only draw 1-1 at Swindon. He played well in both games and while players like Matty Kennedy and Emyr Huws have struggled to maintain early levels of fitness and quality, understandable due to the lack of games earlier in the season, Stuart seems to be going from strength to strength and is playing a big part in a good run for his team.

A win and a loss for Bolton this week but automatic promotion looks almost assured now as they are still seven points clear of third place with four games to go. No goal for Adam le Fondre but he's making his presence felt by turning in energetic performances on a consistent basis. A good point for Deji Oshilaja's Gillingham as they drew 1-1 with Neil Harris's Millwall yesterday. Gillingham are only one point clear of the relegation zone now and desperately need to find a win from somewhere, I'm sure Deji will be up for the battle ahead.

A win and a loss too for Emyr Huws at Ipswich as they beat Wigan in the week but then got bamboozled by Fulham's passing game yesterday. Emyr was moved to the top of a midfield diamond to try and get them back into the game at Fulham but to limited effect and he was subbed midway through the second period. Matty Kennedy struggled to make an impact for Plymouth at Crawley and was also subbed but Plymouth went on to win 2-1 and are now twelve points clear of fourth place with five games left. The Belgian Europa League play-offs are starting to hot up nicely as Idriss Saadi's Kortrijk played out a 0-0 draw with Lokeren. No pitch time for either Tom Adeyemi or Ben Wilson this week.

In the non-leagues, Isaac Kelly played twice for Cinderford as they finally had to accept a relegation that's been inevitable for some time now. Lloyd Humphries and Theo Wharton both started for Weston-Super-Mare as they beat Bishops Stortford 5-0. Darren Purse was so keen for another mention in this series of Loan Watch that he moved from Chesham, in Cinderford's league, to Bishops Stortford. He got a goal earlier in the season to get his first mention but yesterday he went back to doing what he does best and got himself sent off instead. Purse has now been relegated three seasons in a row from that division.

Back to our former players to finish and there were goals this weekend for Cameron Jerome, Stephen MacLean, Scott Malone, Kenny Miller and Guido Burgstaller, whose two goals for Schalke in the Bundesliga take his tally to eight for them and 22 in 36 appearances in total for the season. Very impressive.

Re: Loan Watch (9/4)

Jarrad Welch hasn't played the last couple of games for Cinderford as he's gone to Bournemouth on trial. Issac Kelly also went on a trial a few weeks ago, I was told to was Colchester but might have been somewhere else. Of the 8 or 9 City or ex-City players Cinderford have had this season Gethin Hill & Jarrad Welch have been the pick of the bunch by far.

Blue in the Face

Brilliant Loramski. I didn't know any of that. Especially the darts.

I am guessing you didn't see Kenny Millers opener. Absolutely outstanding goal worthy of a paragraph on its own . His second was thoroughly enjoyable as well .
    Just for you . First goal is around 57 seconds .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sV52EfgST1U

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    Jarrad Welch hasn't played the last couple of games for Cinderford as he's gone to Bournemouth on trial. Issac Kelly also went on a trial a few weeks ago, I was told to was Colchester but might have been somewhere else. Of the 8 or 9 City or ex-City players Cinderford have had this season Gethin Hill & Jarrad Welch have been the pick of the bunch by far.
    Cinderford Watch: Episode One.

Someone has competition

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I am guessing you didn't see Kenny Millers opener. Absolutely outstanding goal worthy of a paragraph on its own . His second was thoroughly enjoyable as well .
    Just for you . First goal is around 57 seconds .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sV52EfgST1U
    I know his season here tailed off dramatically but I've still got respect for Kenny, it can't have been easy as a striker under Malky and I think of him as a hard-working player who never cheated us. If only he'd buried that chance to win the Cup Final though, he'd surely have become a club legend for ever and a day. What type of a character is he, do you reckon he still thinks about that chance now and again?

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    I saw Welch hadn't played but had no idea why. We were all speculating at the time as to why he'd gone to Cinderford, are you any the wiser as to what went wrong for him at City (assuming it did)? Surely this is one player we should have been looking to hold on to?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I know his season here tailed off dramatically but I've still got respect for Kenny, it can't have been easy as a striker under Malky and I think of him as a hard-working player who never cheated us. If only he'd buried that chance to win the Cup Final though, he'd surely have become a club legend for ever and a day. What type of a character is he, do you reckon he still thinks about that chance now and again?
    Pretty much on the money there . Hard to believe we were that close to winning a cup final against Liverpool. Malky was more of an enigma that Miller . Most negative football I have ever endured, yet got results .
    I doubt Miller lets misses play on his mind , looks forward to his next goal .

Pretty much on the money there . Hard to believe we were that close to winning a cup final against Liverpool. Malky was more of an enigma that Miller . Most negative football I have ever endured, yet got results .
    I remember you saying Malky's football made your eyes bleed. Yet he turned up that day with Gestede and Miller up top with Mason buzzing around up there too. Then pretty much went back into his shell until the day he left. An enigma indeed.

Pretty much on the money there . Hard to believe we were that close to winning a cup final against Liverpool. Malky was more of an enigma than Miller . Most negative football I have ever endured, yet got results .
    You're right there mate, they're both Scottish.

Capture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Cinderford Watch: Episode One.

Someone has competition
    Where have you been this must be at least episode 4 or maybe 5

Keep watching, only one game from a county cup final against the mighty Wurzles (cough). Having thrashed the Gas 6-1 in the quarter final, just need to beat Cirencester in the s/f on Wednesday to set up a Wurzles final. With 5 City players in the Cinderford 11 it would be a decent derby! (Clarke, Kelly, Parry, Bloom, Welch)
    Last edited by Des Parrot; 12-04-17 at 19:54.