+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 94

Thread: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

  1. #1

    Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Established in Cardiff 1851 - gone in 2017.

    I blame PMT - had to pre-order me PRS SE Floyd 24 (2017) there.

    And Gamlins is the personification of customer indifference.

    And that's all I have to say on the subject

  2. #2

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    A piano tuner from Cranes used to tune my grandad's piano every year.

  3. #3
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    27,114
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Established in Cardiff 1851 - gone in 2017.

    I blame PMT - had to pre-order me PRS SE Floyd 24 (2017) there.

    And Gamlins is the personification of customer indifference.

    And that's all I have to say on the subject
    I always blame PMT.
    'It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled'

  4. #4

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Our local Stationary Shop has moved too.
    Banana sssandwichesss - What a load of bollocksss!

  5. #5

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Our local Stationary Shop has moved too.
    I see what you did there

  6. #6

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    I see what you did there
    Well. I didn't.

    Doesn't make sense.

    There is no such thing as a Stationary Shop.

  7. #7

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Well. I didn't.

    Doesn't make sense.

    There is no such thing as a Stationary Shop.
    Where do you buy your train tickets then??

  8. #8

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Well. I didn't.

    Doesn't make sense.

    There is no such thing as a Stationary Shop.
    Okay, I get you think you had to spell it out for others who mightl not have got the joke, the grammatical "mistake".

    Actually most shops are stationary, except perhaps those on a train.

    BTW, I was under the impression that you and Steve R are one and the same person

  9. #9

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    Where do you buy your train tickets then??
    On line @ Trane Lion

  10. #10

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Okay, I get you think you had to spell it out for others who mightl not have got the joke, the grammatical "mistake".
    Not totally convinced it was a grammatical 'mistake'.

  11. #11

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    I think Cranes is coming back into the centre of Cardiff. Possibly in one of the arcades. Don't shoot the messenger if I am wrong though

  12. #12

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Not totally convinced it was a grammatical 'mistake'.
    Oh
    Now that IS funny

    ..and there was me thinking you and Steve R were co writing your own material

  13. #13

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Stationery / Stationary.

    Writing materials / Not moving.

  14. #14

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Established in Cardiff 1851 - gone in 2017.

    I blame PMT - had to pre-order me PRS SE Floyd 24 (2017) there.

    And Gamlins is the personification of customer indifference.

    And that's all I have to say on the subject

    George Ostricher owns Cranes, he does the range of TangleWood guitars which he imports from a factory in South Korea. Mike the manager of Cranes left him last year to go and work at PMT and ever since then Crances realised they couldnt or didnt want to compete.

    George is not a daft man though, he owns the Cranes building as well as countless other large buildings in Cardiff - so he wont be destitute any time soon. Last time I spoke to him he was thinking of opening a smaller shop and doing high end products only somewhere else in Cardiff.

    A lovely fella and there is an old saying - if George has sold something to you - you have paid too much, if you have sold something to George - he hasn't paid enough for it.

    A crafty old devil, that loves his music, he came to Cardiff in the 1940's with his parents from Hungary - and is a self made man.

    He once sold me a guitar and a bike in my lunch hour - when all I wanted was a set of drum sticks .........

  15. #15

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post

    He once sold me a guitar and a bike in my lunch hour - when all I wanted was a set of drum sticks .........
    Strange place to shop for checkin....

  16. #16

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    I hope they do set up in Cardiff again. Love their Caparison line (spelling! ) and always thought they were a friendly bunch of guys.

  17. #17
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    12,205

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Our local Stationary Shop has moved too.

    So I said to the woman at the Post Office 'do you keep stationery madam? '
    'No' she replied - 'I like to wriggle about a bit'.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 11-04-17 at 16:11. Reason: I can't fecking spell either .. :D

  18. #18

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post

    So I said to the woman at the Post Office 'do you keep stationery madam? '
    'No' she replied - 'I like to wriggle about a bit'.
    Least you had the noose to correct it

  19. #19

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Strange place to shop for checkin....
    I wondered WTF you were talking about - until I finally got the drum sticks joke

  20. #20

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Also on my town travels, I was also astonished to see Ribbles Cycles - with a scattering of bikes and room to ride 'em in the shop.

  21. #21

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    I wondered WTF you were talking about - until I finally got the drum sticks joke
    Getting more and more like Steve (the My-stro) every day....

  22. #22
    International Mrs Steve R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Barry
    Posts
    27,114
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Okay, I get you think you had to spell it out for others who mightl not have got the joke, the grammatical "mistake".

    Actually most shops are stationary, except perhaps those on a train.

    BTW, I was under the impression that you and Steve R are one and the same person
    'It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled'

  23. #23

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    From experience, Cranes were never able/wanted to compete. They only stocked selected brands - for a music shop of that size in the city centre to not check off all of the big boys is madness. Roland is the one that comes to mind.

    If you could get, say a pedal for 150 in Cranes and PMT were selling it for 130, were willing to price match and they also offer interest free loans who are you going to go with? I've also experienced much better customer service in the 10 mins I spent in PMT than I ever did in the many years I visited Cranes or Gamlins.

  24. #24

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    From experience, Cranes were never able/wanted to compete. They only stocked selected brands - for a music shop of that size in the city centre to not check off all of the big boys is madness. Roland is the one that comes to mind.

    If you could get, say a pedal for 150 in Cranes and PMT were selling it for 130, were willing to price match and they also offer interest free loans who are you going to go with? I've also experienced much better customer service in the 10 mins I spent in PMT than I ever did in the many years I visited Cranes or Gamlins.

    Gamblins was by far the worst ever customer service - especially the old lady who worked in there.
    Cranes were fine - buthe aint daft - if you havent got money to spend - he wasnt interested in you as a customer (fair enough)

    PMT - 50/50 - I went in there to buy something recently. The only one they had was a display model - that had been used and didnt have any of the original box / packaging - they wouldn't offer anything off - so I walked.

    I am amazed at how Gwent Music has managed to survive - unless it's a mafia front.

  25. #25
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    12,205

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    I always like to support local businesses wherever possible, but it was never the most welcoming of shops.

    On one of the rare occasions where I did manage to spend some time trying a few guitars out in that little 'testing room' , I emerged, handed back the Tele that I'd tried out to a member of staff. I mentioned that I had spotted a little ding on the finish. Voluntarily. Being helpful.
    But he grilled me about it, and then got two other members of staff involved to comment whether they had seen the ding before.
    Oooh no, none of them had etc etc. FFS .. ;)
    All felt very accusatory. I never set foot in there again.

  26. #26

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    I always like to support local businesses wherever possible, but it was never the most welcoming of shops.

    On one of the rare occasions where I did manage to spend some time trying a few guitars out in that little 'testing room' , I emerged, handed back the Tele that I'd tried out to a member of staff. I mentioned that I had spotted a little ding on the finish. Voluntarily. Being helpful.
    But he grilled me about it, and then got two other members of staff involved to comment whether they had seen the ding before.
    Oooh no, none of them had etc etc. FFS .. ;)
    All felt very accusatory. I never set foot in there again.
    They were always up their own arses in there from as long as I can remember. It's a wonder they lasted this long.
    Banana sssandwichesss - What a load of bollocksss!

  27. #27

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    My lad bought his recent Bass from PMT, a Fender USA Job, it recently let him down during a recording session, he took it to Dave Dearnaley for the repair he's not impressed with PMT. or with Fender!!!!, he has 3 older Fenders that haven't let him down and an Ibanez model circa 1984 which has never gone wonky on him. Bring back the Sound Centre
    We may not know yet where we're going, but we've already left where we've been

  28. #28

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    Our local Stationary Shop has moved too.
    Was it a paper shop that blew away?

  29. #29
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    12,205

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    My lad bought his recent Bass from PMT, a Fender USA Job, it recently let him down during a recording session, he took it to Dave Dearnaley for the repair he's not impressed with PMT. or with Fender!!!!, he has 3 older Fenders that haven't let him down and an Ibanez model circa 1984 which has never gone wonky on him. Bring back the Sound Centre
    Good to hear that Dave D. is still doing the do.
    Now there is a bloke who knows his stuff.

  30. #30

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Good to hear that Dave D. is still doing the do.
    Now there is a bloke who knows his stuff.
    I think back to when i used have a few guitars but could never afford the 350.0 Les Paul and Strats and had to settle for the 50.0 Avon and Eros copies, a little investment in a few early 70's Les Pauls grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
    We may not know yet where we're going, but we've already left where we've been

  31. #31

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Do you have Guitar Center (or an equivalent) over there?

    http://www.guitarcenter.com

  32. #32
    International Vimana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    way out west
    Posts
    12,205

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    Do you have Guitar Center (or an equivalent) over there?

    http://www.guitarcenter.com
    Not really.
    Mainly independents, though some quite big - e.g. Andertons and the like - but dotted around the country, and usually just one main outlet.

  33. #33

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Not really.
    Mainly independents, though some quite big - e.g. Andertons and the like - but dotted around the country, and usually just one main outlet.
    So what's left in Cardiff if you're looking for a music gear.

  34. #34

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Not really.
    Mainly independents, though some quite big - e.g. Andertons and the like - but dotted around the country, and usually just one main outlet.
    I think for PRS guitars for example, PMT are as good an outlet as any. The local branch get an order number from their HO and raise the order. The price for the model I pre-ordered seems to be be fixed for the moment wherever you buy, so I welcomed the chance to support my local store. And I had the chance to check out the playability of a similar guitar without feeling I was using the shop. When it's ready for collection I'll have a chance to play it and check it over for dins - something I worry about when buying blind. So far, all good - and there was a guy in there who obviously loved PRS guitars.

  35. #35

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue View Post
    So what's left in Cardiff if you're looking for a music gear.
    Nobles is still trading. They shifted from Llanishen (where I bought my Washburn Hawk a long time ago) to Crwys Road and thence to Old Church Road at Whitchurch. Different Noble now behind the counter to 1979. That luthier at Dinas Powis seems to have disappeared.....

  36. #36

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Nobles is still trading. They shifted from Llanishen (where I bought my Washburn Hawk a long time ago) to Crwys Road and thence to Old Church Road at Whitchurch. Different Noble now behind the counter to 1979. That luthier at Dinas Powis seems to have disappeared.....
    Personally I'd take the Washburn Hawk over a PRS SE any day of the week. I do have a soft spot for that lovely old Jap stuff

  37. #37

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    Personally I'd take the Washburn Hawk over a PRS SE any day of the week. I do have a soft spot for that lovely old Jap stuff
    I still love playing the Hawk - it's my instrument of choice and cost me about 750 in 1979. I'm buying the PRS for the Floyd Rose whammy bar - and the neck dimensions are very close to the Hawk; so the playability is almost the same. The pick-up configuration is also similar to the Hawk, and a selling point of the PRS SE Floyd is its 85/15 pick-ups

  38. #38

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    I love those old Washburns - never had one of the Hawk Series but have an A15 and A20. The A20 is killer! Those EMGs may take a bit of getting used to, with the Floyd should be very different from the Washburn

  39. #39

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    I bought a Hohner 335 copy in blonde from Nobles on Crwys Road in about 1990. It was a surprisingly good guitar. I think my son has it now.

  40. #40

    Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

    I've never had a decent semi, so not really familiar with them. I once passed over a Cherry Red Edwards 335 in Cash Converters for 125.00 - I didn't know what it was. Doh! By the time I hit google it was gone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •