+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Cranes in Cardiff has gone, I see

Quote Originally Posted by Nelsonca61 View Post
    I used to have an EKO 12 string Jumbo with a pick-up, my Dad got it for me, fell off a back of a lorry ended up in the Rompney Castle where he acquired it for me
    Those old Ekos were built like tanks, I had a 12 string and a 6 string. I remember a time when everyone in Caerphilly had Gretches for a while after the warehouse got turned over

This thread has taken an interesting turn (well, 'interesting' for some of us maybe) ;)

I am a bit of a fan of the underdog / alternative / outsider (goes well with supporting the City) and although I had ownership dreams as a young man, I prefer something interesting or quirky over a Fender or Gibson.

Some memorable / favourite 'alternatives' over the years have been:
    Maison 335 style (decent quality late 80's? MIK) that particular one just had that something. So .. I sold it (one of many 'FFS' moments)
    Mid 80's Fernandes 'The Revival' Strat . Wowza. Also sold that. There is a pattern here !
    But my dearest possession/memory was a 70's Ibanez 'Custom' LesPaul clone which was my everything for years, many, many moons ago.
    I played/abused the **** out of it until it truly died. I still have the tuner pegs ;)

My first guitar was a Rosetti Super Solid Seven. I was 14 and paid for it on the never-ever from my paper round. It was a deep red and had a whammy bar. Used to play my 45s thru the pickups. Discovered some time later that Macca also played a RSSS.

This was it aka Egmond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVdt1PPSAm4
    Last edited by Cyclops; 11-04-17 at 22:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    My first guitar was a Rosetti Super Solid Seven. I was 14 and paid for it on the never-ever from my paper round. It was a deep red and had a whammy bar. Used to play my 45s thru the pickups. Discovered some time later that Macca also played a RSSS.

This was it aka Egmond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVdt1PPSAm4
    Nice!

My first fiddles when I were a lad in t'70's:

Martin Coletti 50's Archtop (and I still have this one ;) )
    $_86.jpg

60's Futurama II
    imagesX0QRJ215.jpg

Photos not mine.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 11-04-17 at 22:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    This thread has taken an interesting turn (well, 'interesting' for some of us maybe) ;)

I am a bit of a fan of the underdog / alternative / outsider (goes well with supporting the City) and although I had ownership dreams as a young man, I prefer something interesting or quirky over a Fender or Gibson.

Some memorable / favourite 'alternatives' over the years have been:
    Maison 335 style (decent quality late 80's? MIK) that particular one just had that something. So .. I sold it (one of many 'FFS' moments)
    Mid 80's Fernandes 'The Revival' Strat . Wowza. Also sold that. There is a pattern here !
    But my dearest possession/memory was a 70's Ibanez 'Custom' LesPaul clone which was my everything for years, many, many moons ago.
    I played/abused the **** out of it until it truly died. I still have the tuner pegs ;)
    The only guitar I truly regret selling was a PRS Classic 24, that I bought from Mike at Cranes on my 30th birthday. It was beautiful to look at and played like a Rolls Royce.The sound was great but it didn't really twang/thud like a good strat or grunt/scream like a good Les. It definitely had something though!

Quote Originally Posted by Veg1960 View Post
    The only guitar I truly regret selling was a PRS Classic 24, that I bought from Mike at Cranes on my 30th birthday. It was beautiful to look at and played like a Rolls Royce.The sound was great but it didn't really twang/thud like a good strat or grunt/scream like a good Les. It definitely had something though!
    My regret is selling my 1963 Strat. It was bought for £150 in 1965 which was the equivalent of about £1200 in today's money. How much is it worth now I wonder.