+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does football still do it for You?

Banned

Does football still do it for You?

Serious now,
    Cannot remember the last time I watched 90 mins on the Tele, and as far as Cardiff about 2 years ago the last time I went to a home match.
    I find players wages obscene, expensive day out, shit ground no fans team.
    Makes me laugh during the rebrand, most people said they'd rather play in blue and be in the 4th division, well that's obviously bollox cos we got the blue back and no body goes like. And the football's sgit.
    Football Thread

Re: Does football still do it for You?

Quote Originally Posted by nugent View Post
    Serious now,
    Cannot remember the last time I watched 90 mins on the Tele, and as far as Cardiff about 2 years ago the last time I went to a home match.
    Makes me laugh during the rebrand, most people said they'd rather play in blue and be in the 4th division, well that's obviously bollox cos we got the blue back and no body goes like.. And the football's sgit.
    Football Thread
    People do go. Perhaps including those who said things like that.

Far preferring it now compared to when we played in Manu colours. Can't say I enjoy it as much as pre-rebrand thought, something's missing.
    Last edited by Baloo; 13-04-17 at 06:43.

Serious now,
    Makes me laugh during the rebrand, most people said they'd rather play in blue and be in the 4th division, well that's obviously bollox cos we got the blue back and no body goes like. And the football's sgit.
    Football Thread
    Thinly veiled "If it's the Europa league again next season then I'm out" post IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

Far preferring it now compared to when we played in Manu colours. Can't say I enjoy it as much as pre-rebrand though, something's missing.
    ^^^
    This, definitely.

An emotional bond has been damaged, and it will take a long time to heal - but it never will, for some.

It was a sad day when Ninian Park closed for the last time

I'm definitely not as emotionally attached to the club as I used to be.
    I still go and if we win I'm pleased- if we don't then I'm not as gutted as I used to be.
    Looking back, the real downturn on the pitch may well have started when we appointed OGS, but the damage had probably been done before that.

Since OGS took over I haven't been arsed and put all my effort into Wales instead these days.

Watched Cardiff every season since about 00/01 but went down once last season and haven't been at all this season - aside from the testimonial a few weeks ago. Warnock seemingly doing a decent job but I haven't got that feeling for City anymore, which is really sad.

Cliche to say, but it's just not the same. Even when we were crap in the past i have still loved it, but not so much anymore.

I agree with most of the above, still get disappointed when we lose but it doesn't ruin my weekend anymore. The days of me throwing the kids garden toys around are long gone.
    I think it just isn't as much fun as it used to be. I also think age comes into it, when you get older you realise it's probably not the most important thing.

Banned

So does anyone spend more time with a different sport

Cricket & darts are the only other sports I like.

I do a bit more dogging. I'm especially into seagulling at the moment.

watching almost every snooker tournament now

Quote Originally Posted by Llanishen_Blue View Post
    Cricket & darts are the only other sports I like.
    I love watching the darts on ITV4 and also the cycling on Eurosport. The one day Spring Classics have been brilliant this year.
    Can't wait to watch some cricket aswell at the Swalec.

Agree with some of the above but City still do it for me. Twenty eight games so far this season.

Love watching Wales too.

However I've got hardly any interest in the Premier League and rarely watch matches. I just don't identify with the glut of foreign players and the all absorbing greed of the clubs and players.

I only went down about 6 times in 14/15 and 8 time last season. But last November I got my interest back and bough a season ticket for the remaining games, and have seem 13 League and 1 FA Cup games since. I love it again now. I think the main factor was Warnock as I though OGS was completely useless and Slade and ~Trollope were boring, but Warnock has got a bit of passion back in the team and I think that makes a difference. I don't expect us to win every game or get promoted next year but i just enjoy seeing 90 minutes off football by watching my favourite team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by itkman View Post
    I do a bit more dogging. I'm especially into seagulling at the moment.
    Sicko

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    UOTE
    Far preferring it now compared to when we played in Manu colours. Can't say I enjoy it as much as pre-rebrand thought, something's missing.
    This. Haven't bothered for 2 seasons. It's just not the same.

"commercial" football ... no, I cannot believe how quickly (after 40+ years of addiction) that I've gone off it. I don't even know City's fixtures.

Grass roots / non-league, I'm loving it, abusive crowds, no seats, getting a reaction from a referee or opposition player, knowing the players by their first names. There's something real about it that I'd lost since the move from NP. Oh! and I'm saving around £3,000 / season

Quote Originally Posted by Des Parrot View Post
    "commercial" football ... no, I cannot believe how quickly (after 40+ years of addiction) that I've gone off it. I don't even know City's fixtures.

Grass roots / non-league, I'm loving it, abusive crowds, no seats, getting a reaction from a referee or opposition player, knowing the players by their first names. There's something real about it that I'd lost since the move from NP. Oh! and I'm saving around £3,000 / season
    The good thing about many non-league games is the fact that the people in the crowd can act as adults and have a drink togthether as opposed to be separated by Police and stewards. When I was an occasional steward at Welling United, not only did some opposing fans look forward to meeting each other twice a season but they would stay over in each other's homes too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R View Post
    This. Haven't bothered for 2 seasons. It's just not the same.
    I will be going with you next season, that's something to look forward to.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    The good thing about many non-league games is the fact that the people in the crowd can act as adults and have a drink togthether as opposed to be separated by Police and stewards. When I was an occasional steward at Welling United, not only did some opposing fans look forward to meeting each other twice a season but they would stay over in each other's homes too.
    Been away with Merthyr a few times and what a difference,welcomed into the clubhouse before the game,sit with opposition fans during the game,and best of all a blood and thunder old fashioned game with no cheats rolling around like they've been shot,then Hereford turn up to spoil it

Agree with a lot of the above but there are elements of football culture that still appeal. But maybe there's so much of it that the routine of going to a home game, of being herded into a generic 'matchday experience' and paying for something that could easily be turgid isn't really all that necessary anymore (especially when you've been treated like a customer who doesn't matter).

I still enjoy football as much as I have ever done & have just renewed my season ticket for the 21st time. Over the years I have heard lot's of reasons for people losing their enthusiasm (Toshack, Durban, hooliganism, Clemo, Cadman, Kumar, leaving NP, Sam, Ridsdale, Tan/rebrand, Slade, money etc.) & that's up to them, people are free to choose what they want to do on a Saturday afternoon & good luck to them. For me I like football & enjoy catching up with some mates on a Saturday for a few beers and I can't see that changing any time soon.

There are lots of good youth teams in Cardiff, they play cracking one-touch football and it's great to watch

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    I will be going with you next season, that's something to look forward to.